User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had know idea that swat team members made well over 6 figures.  Off duty, it shows them driving expensive cars, living in mansion like homes, and buying airplanes

I was wondering the same thing.

Leasing nice cars is cheap. Real Estate in Texas is cheap. And when going through an airplane broker several people can own it~ like a time share. You share maint, hours, insurance, payments, etc...

Get over yourselfs. It's ok for Cops to NOT to be broke after 20+ years in the workforce. I guess all of you haters know all about dual income families, moving equity from Real Estate purcahses, stock market,  etc...come on.

For real, go back and read some of this stuff. It is hilarious. It really is.

One thing thats funny is that one of them had to work security at 2 or 3 different places so his wife could stay home with their teenagers.  That's just being a whipped bastard.

True. Or he REALLY hates being at home. I have been there before man...Taking every leg and every bit of OT they were offering just NOT to go home.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had know idea that swat team members made well over 6 figures.  Off duty, it shows them driving expensive cars, living in mansion like homes, and buying airplanes

I was wondering the same thing.

Leasing nice cars is cheap. Real Estate in Texas is cheap. And when going through an airplane broker several people can own it~ like a time share. You share maint, hours, insurance, payments, etc...

Get over yourselfs. It's ok for Cops to NOT to be broke after 20+ years in the workforce. I guess all of you haters know all about dual income families, moving equity from Real Estate investments, stock market,  etc...come on.

For real, go back and read some of this stuff. It is hilarious. It really is.

When did I say anything about hating police officers? I was wondering how an average joe could afford an airplane at their perpetually rising costs, because I too would like to own one someday. I've also known many cops in Texas, and none of them had a house as nice as some of the ones on this show.

Reading comprehension is your friend.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#3]

I am sure it is...Because after this:

You said:

I was wondering the same thing

While you were in the Navy or USMC flying, no one ever talked about owning aircraft?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#4]
well things are obviously way diffrent in texas, because a cops pay up here in wisconsin aint going to get
as much as dallas swat  still a bunch of jbt's though
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Or he REALLY hates being at home. I have been there before man...Taking every leg and every bit of OT they were offering just NOT to go home.

BTDT.....made up for my sucky home life with cars, motorcycles and guns. I worked 80-90 hours a week so I would not have to deal with the now former wife.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or he REALLY hates being at home. I have been there before man...Taking every leg and every bit of OT they were offering just NOT to go home.

BTDT.....made up for my sucky home life with cars, motorcycles and guns. I worked 80-90 hours a week so I would not have to deal with the now former wife.

When we made the choice to get divorced, I quit working so much and quit the airlines and started to relax....

My wife and my kids now are my passion and I look at work as the sacrifice I have to make. Funny how things change with being around good people!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why are you such an apologist for these assholes?

I am not an appologist for "these assholes".

Merely someone who understands the issues involved with their job. Like many things in life, it appears a hell of a lot simpler than it is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
True. Or he REALLY hates being at home. I have been there before man...Taking every leg and every bit of OT they were offering just NOT to go home.

It could also be because maintaining a family these days is a very expensive proposition, and having mom at home is a hell of a lot better than leaving your kids to be raised by wolves the education system.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
When did I say anything about hating police officers? I was wondering how an average joe could afford an airplane at their perpetually rising costs, because I too would like to own one someday. I've also known many cops in Texas, and none of them had a house as nice as some of the ones on this show.

Most officers have to work a minimum monthly ammount of overtime in some deartments. There are additional bonuses for being on the SWAT team in addition to their base pay, plus the ammount of overtime required of them is usually ungodly.

SWAT officers can indeed make over 6 figures in some departments.

Anchorage PD regular beat cops make almost that much once overtime is figured in.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw this show for the first time last night. They would FAIL mout town. They are horrible.

Easy example, they expected these guys to shoot at them, yet made a dual entry, one team on each side. WTF are they planning to do if a bad guy in between the teams shoots? They are going to end up shooting each other up. They were always making dual entries in houses made of plywood and sheetrock, someone is gonna get blue on blued pretty fast.

Also, they always had an exact plan and when it didnt work, stood around confused. Even after much talk of dynamic stuff.

Why were they always ripping windows out? They didnt go in them, they just ripped them out, they would have one guy run up and put the ripping thing on, and the other standing there "covering the window" that guy would however have 3 or 4 windows completely not covered behind him.

Suffice to say, they suck.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I saw this show for the first time last night. They would FAIL mout town. They are horrible.

Easy example, they expected these guys to shoot at them, yet made a dual entry, one team on each side. WTF are they planning to do if a bad guy in between the teams shoots? They are going to end up shooting each other up. They were always making dual entries in houses made of plywood and sheetrock, someone is gonna get blue on blued pretty fast. I would hope that in noise and smoke and whatever else...it would be good trigger discipline and situational awarness. They have yelled at each other before in other episodes about crossfire etc...even after briefing about it.

Also, they always had an exact plan and when it didnt work, stood around confused. Even after much talk of dynamic stuff. I agree with you there...I noticed that as well....ugh....jimbo...ugh....
Why were they always ripping windows out?Diversions, whack them out. We were 'told' about it and how to do it if needed in the 90's by the guys who trained us in MOUT from SRIG (like the door blow c-4 thing I IM"d you about....But it was always unfeasble. They didnt go in them, they just ripped them out, they would have one guy run up and put the ripping thing on, and the other standing there "covering the window" that guy would however have 3 or 4 windows completely not covered behind him.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most officers have to work a minimum monthly ammount of overtime in some deartments. There are additional bonuses for being on the SWAT team in addition to their base pay, plus the ammount of overtime required of them is usually ungodly.

Anchorage PD regular beat cops make almost that much once overtime is figured in.

Don't they make more as well with the AK Subsidized pay? I thought public and gov't workers made more on that than the avg Joe in AK.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
[I would hope that in noise and smoke and whatever else...it would be good trigger discipline and situational awarness. They have yelled at each other before in other episodes about crossfire

Yeah, the thing is, as much as you hope that it wont happen it does a TON during our SIM training, even without bullets going through walls, if people make dual entry they end up shooting their buddies. Also its amazing the amount of times people in stacks get shot in thier backs by thier own guys!!!

I am probably getting too upset about little things like that, but when I have to teach people this stuff all day long and then I see SWAT messing it up on tv I get kinda upset. hahah
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't they make more as well with the AK Subsidized pay? I thought public and gov't workers made more on that than the avg Joe in AK.

Not to mention rates of pay are higher because everything is more expensive to make up for everyone making more money.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
its shows like this that give firearms a bad rep to people that don't know any better.

this show defines the meaning of JBT, what a bunch of crooks.

there is too much more to list, I watched it a few times after hearing about it here.  If the show was real, Then it might be worth watching, but it is a bunch of bullshit.

The airplane guy's woman is apparently loaded. The Jag he was driving is hers. On an earlier epsiode it showed an upscale salon she owned, and he stated that they came from very different backgrounds and she was from a prominent family.

The airplane guy's woman is only a girlfriend, and they had broken up earlier, and on the first show, he was going out to see if he could work things out.
He is divorced, and has a young daughter.

But the italian guy looks to be raking in big bucks from what his house looked like. And his wife was a stay at home mother...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
its shows like this that give firearms a bad rep to people that don't know any better.

this show defines the meaning of JBT, what a bunch of crooks.

there is too much more to list, I watched it a few times after hearing about it here.  If the show was real, Then it might be worth watching, but it is a bunch of bullshit.

The airplane guy's woman is apparently loaded. The Jag he was driving is hers. On an earlier epsiode it showed an upscale salon she owned, and he stated that they came from very different backgrounds and she was from a prominent family.

The airplane guy's woman is only a girlfriend, and they had broken up earlier, and on the first show, he was going out to see if he could work things out.
He is divorced, and has a young daughter.

But the italian guy looks to be raking in big bucks from what his house looked like. And his wife was a stay at home mother...

The guy is from Boston, I am willing to think that he had some serious equity in ahome up there that made a nice home affordable (a crime I am sure for someone to own a nice home) for him in TX.

He also looks GAY with that blonde hair. I can't take a grown man serious if he dies his hair.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[I would hope that in noise and smoke and whatever else...it would be good trigger discipline and situational awarness. They have yelled at each other before in other episodes about crossfire

Yeah, the thing is, as much as you hope that it wont happen it does a TON during our SIM training, even without bullets going through walls, if people make dual entry they end up shooting their buddies. Also its amazing the amount of times people in stacks get shot in thier backs by thier own guys!!!

I am probably getting too upset about little things like that, but when I have to teach people this stuff all day long and then I see SWAT messing it up on tv I get kinda upset. hahah

I did 100 right count body builders for yelling "bang" at a hostage during predeployment work up. He was hiding behind some debris and a fallen over shelf unit. They gave him a gun and told him to look scared. He scared me, so I shot him..lol...by yelling "bang!" I did this not once, but twice. 2nd time, Gunny said "you see the middle of the soccerfield? Go do them there and we want to hear each one while we are training...." I was lucky, IIRC they were only in the large building directly to the east of the soccer field and I was able to bang out the 2nd set of 100 pretty quick.

Somethings I miss....some things I do not
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I like watching simply because I'm a gear queer

Buddy of mine is on the local PD's SRT and regional task force, His only comment:
"Those guys suck" and "If we used that many FB's on an entry the city would be broke in a week"
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone see that sniper shoot a 4-inch 3 shot group at 100 yards?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

OUCH! I can shoot better groups with XM ammo and Irons on my AR
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yeah. Wasn't sure if it was 100 yards or what, but still, some professional sniper should be doing much better than that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Easy example, they expected these guys to shoot at them, yet made a dual entry, one team on each side. WTF are they planning to do if a bad guy in between the teams shoots? They are going to end up shooting each other up. They were always making dual entries in houses made of plywood and sheetrock, someone is gonna get blue on blued pretty fast.

Also, they always had an exact plan and when it didnt work, stood around confused. Even after much talk of dynamic stuff.

Why were they always ripping windows out? They didnt go in them, they just ripped them out, they would have one guy run up and put the ripping thing on, and the other standing there "covering the window" that guy would however have 3 or 4 windows completely not covered behind him.

I don't know if anyone is more qualified to critique the tactics shown on these shows. You are essentially doing the same job, but against a much more determined adversary and with much greater success.

One thing that I've noticed is how after every op these SWAT guys stand around patting themselves on the back about how successful everything went. They talk alot of trash about how the BG is always going down. Your observations make this much more humorous.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's a pic from the Dallas Swat website...

This guy really seems to like that "gansta" shooting grip.
Total posers!
http://www.selfdefenseforums.com/images/gangsta_swat.jpg
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah. Wasn't sure if it was 100 yards or what, but still, some professional sniper should be doing much better than that.

Maybe with all their HSLD gear and van, they can only afford Wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Total posers!
www.selfdefenseforums.com/images/gangsta_swat.jpg

You've obviously never trained to use a sheild. Your ignorance shows.

Try again.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I watched most of one episode. Not impressed.

I really don't get the whole reality TV thing. I don't care if some SWAT guy is trying to get back with his rich girlfriend.

I didn't understand the window ripping, either. If you're not going through the window, you're not achieving anything.

If they're comparing semi-autos to full-autos, then that makes them nothing but a bunch of tools. (useful idiots)

The bottom line...if leftist judges/parole boards, etc. would keep criminals in jail or condemened to a quick execution like they deserved, the criminal element might not be that bad out there, and these Dallas SWAT guys wouldn't be running around trying to figure out the best way to smash things in order to impress the A&E audience. (sheep)

-Scott
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Total posers!

I've seen those bodybunkers a lot on the show.  Out of curiousity, does anyone know what they will stop?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Watching the show and they raided a drug house, besides the drugs they got a sawed off Shotgun, a .380 or 9mm and 50 rounds of .223 but no .223 rifle. According to one of the SWAT guys "They were heavily armed and ready"

Heavily Armed

They would SHIT themselves in some of our houses

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Total posers!

I know some LEO train to shoot slightly canted when firing with one hand.  That seems a bit much.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Total posers!

Actually, I have never seen (on TV of course) a guy behind one of those shield who was not holding his pistol in that position.

Also, from shooting IDPA I have seen alot of very experienced shooters tilt their guns (not to full gangsta 90 degrees) similarly when shooting around obstacles. I even caught myself doing it last week during one of our stages.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total posers!

I've seen those bodybunkers a lot on the show.  Out of curiousity, does anyone know what they will stop?

Why do you ask?  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total posers!

I know some LEO train to shoot slightly canted when firing with one hand.  That seems a bit much.

Do you see the little window in the sheild? The gun will be at an almost full tilt for aiming.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total posers!

Depends on the shield. Some heavier ones will stop rifle fire.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total posers!

Why do you ask?  

I'm going to the car wash on Saturday, and figured I'd take one along.  I figure full body armor, and AR, and 16 30-round magazines might not be enough.  You can never be too careful around the car wash.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#35]
That show sucks!!!

I watched a show where the swat was storming a house where the suspected they would incounter "the most dangerous wepon in the world, an AK47".  It tuned out to be an sks but they did not seem to know the diffrence.  

The show is lame.  I would rather watch MASH.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total posers!

Do you see the little window in the sheild? The gun will be at an almost full tilt for aiming.

It doesn't look like he's using the window in that pic; otherwise, I'd agree with you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total posers!

It doesn't look like he's using the window in that pic; otherwise, I'd agree with you.

It's a posed pic to show the shooters face. But yes that is how the shield is deployed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total posers!

It's a posed pic to show the shooters face. But yes that is how the shield is deployed.

I understand that is how the shield is supposed to be deployed, and I know it's just a pic.  However, if you're using the window then you almost have to use the "gangsta" hold in order to get the pistol around the shield and have any hope of actually using the sights. He's not using the window, so there is no advantage in that hold. In fact, there are considerable disadvantages.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total posers!

Who knew? I don't.
 Looking at the picture it somehow seems mechanically wrong to have your wrist turned so far to left and you elbow sticking so far out from behind the shield.
There must be a reason for it but I don't know what it could be.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#40]
The shield is deployed with your strongarm bascially wrapped around the outside. Your shooting arm would be exposed but your body is coverd. You tilt the pistol so you can see the sights through the viewing window.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#41]
You gotta atleast admit those are the most in shape LEO you will see.(Comparing to say COPS?)

Those guys rock, the show's format is sort of weird. And it's odd why they throw in the personnal lives of those guys. But I guess it's a good supplement income for losing a bit of privacy.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Are they actually doing multiple entries or doing multiple breaches and only putting one team inside?   I 've only caught 1 or 2 of the shows.  I think it would be much more interesting to see how someone like LAPD SWAT does their work.  Of course I already have a little bit of an idea.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Not to mention rates of pay are higher because everything is more expensive to make up for everyone making more money.

The COL is a tad higher than in other places, but not all that much higher.

The Anchorage cop I know left the Army as a Captain, and went to work for Anchorage. He has been there for under 10 years.

To give you an idea of how well he has done (he isn't a "ninja" as he puts it, just a senior patrol officer) he already has a piece of real-estate for retirement.......In Hawaii....

It's enough to make me want to go become an Anchorage cop....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Total posers!

Uh, fella?

You try to take a normal firing grip when carrying a ballistic shield. Then report back to us, mmmkay??
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I watched most of one episode. Not impressed.

I really don't get the whole reality TV thing. I don't care if some SWAT guy is trying to get back with his rich girlfriend.

I didn't understand the window ripping, either. If you're not going through the window, you're not achieving anything.

Break and rake on a window is a good way to allow someone to cover that room. It is a fairly standard technique, though I can't always tell exactly why the Dallas guys are doing that to specific windows on a structure.

If, for instance, they have specific information (like from an undercover narc buyer) that a specific room in the house is used to store the weapons, bashing through that window and getting a couple of guys covering it would be to the advantage of the SWAT team.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

When firing one handed with my weak hand, I naturally tilt the handgun. That is because I am instinctively aligning the sights with my dominant eye.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

And he was PROUD!  I can shoot better with my glocks nasty stock trigger and theredgoat pushin!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total posers!

You've obviously never trained to use a sheild. Your ignorance shows.

Try again.

Yeah,  there ain't no better way to do it.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
You gotta atleast admit those are the most in shape LEO you will see.(Comparing to say COPS?)

Those guys rock, the show's format is sort of weird. And it's odd why they throw in the personnal lives of those guys. But I guess it's a good supplement income for losing a bit of privacy.

Horseshit.  One legged cop ran down a cracked out banger on cops.  I'll NEVER forget that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Are they actually doing multiple entries or doing multiple breaches and only putting one team inside?   I 've only caught 1 or 2 of the shows.  I think it would be much more interesting to see how someone like LAPD SWAT does their work.  Of course I already have a little bit of an idea.

It's hard to tell exactly WHAT they are doing, as the A&E show doesn't show much of the planning and misses gobs of the execution. I do know they have done multiple entries a couple of times.

In certain circumstances multiple entries may provide more protection than risk. The object of SWAT as opposed to someone like Ace is that their objective is NOT to kill the bad guys inside the structure.

A successful SWAT raid is one where nobody fires a shot.

With that in mind, a multiple entry on some locations might help overwhelm the bad guys before they can mount any resistance.

That being said, I don't think I have seen a single raid on this show that has gone according to plan. Then again, they often don't have much time to plan or much intel to work with on those raids....
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top