Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 5:39:11 PM EDT
So, I was in the shop making another set of handguards for my AR.  At this point I was routing out the two halves to make the center hole.

I had the router set up in a table (essentially making it a shaper) and I was running the peices over the bit from left to right.  I was doing most of the pushiong with my left hand while my right hand kept the peice straight.

Apparently, this is not a safe practice.

Three novocaine shots later, I get to watch the ER doc run a fish hook through the tip of my middle finger with 3-0 silk.

Thank God there are not large chunks of flesh missing or any broken bones. Finger nail is pretty much gone and the tip is mangled, but not too badly (finger nail actually protected it from most of the heavyy damage!).

I will, of course, post pics tomorrow when I change the dressing.

That is all.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
nice.

use a push stick next time
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad it is "merely a flesh wound".

And like he said, two words, "PUSH STICK".
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Oops?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't ask me to test that rifle for you when it's done

Glad you still got your digit
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So, I was in the shop making another set of handguards for my AR.  At this point I was routing out the two halves to make the center hole.

I had the router set up in a table (essentially making it a shaper) and I was running the peices over the bit from left to right.  I was doing most of the pushiong with my left hand while my right hand kept the peice straight.

Apparently, this is not a safe practice.

Three novocaine shots later, I get to watch the ER doc run a fish hook through the tip of my middle finger with 3-0 silk.

Thank God there are not large chunks of flesh missing or any broken bones. Finger nail is pretty much gone and the tip is mangled, but not too badly (finger nail actually protected it from most of the heavyy damage!).

I will, of course, post pics tomorrow when I change the dressing.

That is all.

Sweet!  Lots of puss I hope
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I'll save the pictures till lunch time!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Ouch! At least you didn't lose it completely!!
Had a few "too close" calls myself. I should not be alive.

Glad your gonna be ok!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thats a stick designed for pushing, DO NOT USE YOUR STICK TO PUSH IT
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I was running some stock through a shaper one time.  the bit caught the wood a ripped it through super fast.  then the tip of my finger started to hurt.  I grabbed it with my other hand and held it tight behind my back.  I bet it was about 15-20 minuted before I had the nerve to look at my finger.

When I did lucky it was just took about  1/16" deep chunk of my finger tip with it.  Hurt like hell and have a small scare now.  

Glad you kept your finger like I did.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#10]
don't worry it'll buff out..

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Be glad, very glad, that you did not get any bone.  Don't ask me how I know.  I also know which finger has the most nerve endings in it too!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#12]
  On a serious note my dad did that with a shaper and had to have a hand surgeon put his index and middle fingers back together.  that was quite a few years ago and he is finally able to bend his fingers all the way down.

Get well soon bro and learn from your mistakes.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#13]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

Thats a stick designed for pushing, DO NOT USE YOUR STICK TO PUSH IT

so, one more time.  just to be sure.  I should not use my dick to push work pieces through power machinery?  Cause, you know, you have to be certain about these things.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I was running some stock through a shaper one time.  the bit caught the wood a ripped it through super fast.  then the tip of my finger started to hurt.  I grabbed it with my other hand and held it tight behind my back.  I bet it was about 15-20 minuted before I had the nerve to look at my finger.

When I did lucky it was just took about  1/16" deep chunk of my finger tip with it.  Hurt like hell and have a small scare now.  

Glad you kept your finger like I did.

Same thing happened here.  Bit caught the wood and ripped it out from under my hand.  

You better believe I'm going to use a push stick next time.

eta: Heh and I wasn't even thinking about using 'ole Hickory Dickory... (shiver) just had shrinkage thinking sbout that!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#15]
try buffing it out....or maybe not, you don't seem to be having any luck with the power tools right now
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#16]
They have this new-fangled thing called a fence. You should get one.

I used to work with this old cabinet maker. He'd always put his hands down on the table and spread his fingers before starting the saw. After seeing him do this several times I asked him what he was doing. Said he was counting his fingers. He said if you can't concentrate enough to count ten fingers it was time to do something else for a while. That one goes right up there with my dad saying, "I wouldn't do that if I were you."
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I was using a fence.

My right hand was helping to push the peice against the fence.

but yeah this was a bonehead move on my part.  I was a little tired and I wasn't being as careful as I should have.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#18]
tag for pics
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

3-0 silk for a fingertip?  Yikes.  I presume Doc-Mart had a blue light special?

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Is that red stuff on the bit your life-juices or just paint?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#22]
CISCO or Juniper?

G
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#23]
push stick?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Is that red stuff on the bit your life-juices or just paint?

lol. paint.  thats an old pic.

Though I did check the bit after I got back home for bits of me. None to be found... woulda made a great pic!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:27:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Good God, that picture made me queasy!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:48:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yep.  Saw the thread title and immediately thought "Push Sticks"!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:10:29 AM EDT
[#27]
They are unforgiving.  20 to 30000 rpm and it will rip the work out of your hands and your finger is in the wrong place very quickly.  Use a vise, use a clamp, use a push stick, look at  every scenario that can grab the work and take a finger.

For me it was a biscuit cutter.  A 1.5" deep gash, almost to the bone in my thumb.  I washed it, steristripped it, duct taped it, and got back to work.

There is no time to bleed in wildearp's shop.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I was using a fence.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/1andy2/IMAG0425.jpg

but yeah this was a bonehead move on my part.  I was a little tired and I wasn't being as careful as I should have.

Your pic shows a bad setup.  Too much of that bit is exposed, which will guarantee kickback.  You should use a slotted guard and make several passes to get to the depth you have shown.  Maybe you were doing this, but just looking at that pic makes me cringe.  

Featherboard is another good thing.  It holds the work against the fence, allowing your push sticks to work more efficiently.  With a taller fence, you can put a featherboard on top to hold the work down too.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was using a fence.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/1andy2/IMAG0425.jpg

Your pic shows a bad setup.  Too much of that bit is exposed, which will guarantee kickback.  You should use a slotted guard and make several passes to get to the depth you have shown.  Maybe you were doing this, but just looking at that pic makes me cringe.  

Featherboard is another good thing.  It holds the work against the fence, allowing your push sticks to work more efficiently.  With a taller fence, you can put a featherboard on top to hold the work down too.  

BIG +1 !  Beat me to it, was just gonna suggest using a featherboard.  They're a HUGE headache saver.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Yup,pics.....pics needed.......we need pics.....take pics now.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#31]
yeah, I was making multiple passes and raising the height of the bit slightly each time.

Good idea in the featherboard and a hold down piece.  That'll be part of my next try.

As promised, the pics.

Eh, kind of disappointing, I know.  Still not what you'd call pretty.

Here's what I was working on when I screwed up.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Eh, kind of disappointing, I know.  Still not what you'd call pretty.

Cool!  Thanks.  

As I said above, I use a router most weekends.  I have commented many times how much I hope to avoid contact with the bit--and the steps I take to avoid same.  My wife just looked at your pics and I'm guessing by her reaction it will help with her new diet she started last week.  Thanks!  

Your piece looks great though--VERY nice work.  

AWESOME pics (of the work, not your wounds )  

I'd love to have an AR-15 with real wood furniture...  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Ouch!  That thing is going to be a hurting tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Ouch!  That thing is going to be a hurting tomorrow morning.

You know, it was odd when I tried to slice off the tip of my thumb with the bandsaw, it didn't hurt at all the next day (or few weeks).  I was incredibly shocked by that, but hey...I wasn't complaining at that point.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Damn, man... clean up all that blood!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/1andy2/IMAG0171.jpg

Damn, man... clean up all that blood!

lol, its smushed vitamins...

btw, Ironwood designs makes vietnam era wood AR furniture.

And I'll be offering some for sale some time this year.  That was my new years resolution anyways...  I think I just came up with another resolution.  Keep all my body parts together...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top