Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2006 3:33:53 PM EDT
Remember that HK tried to do the same thing with the G-41 (HK design using AR mags).  I know it's kind of apples to oranges since the G41 was never made in a semi auto version,  but do you thing the SIG 556 will turn into another Robarm M96 or something to that nature, which is more of a novelty than practical firearm?  I only hope they decide to sell it in original 55x configuration....
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#1]

SWAT version on top
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#3]
no
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Way too soon to speculate, but,

no.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely not. In fact, in all likelyhood, the 556 is going to be THE hot item in the firearms world for the rest of this year. The simple fact that it has generated such a huge response in the online gun world - positive or negative - is further indication of this.

Keep in mind that Arfcom - unfortunately - seems to be having an overall much more negative response to the 556 than most other forums out there. Despite the detractors there are still oodles and oodles of people out there that are dying for a 556. Including me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, but I still give Sig props for putting an AW on the market.  I feel like buying a Sig now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I personaly think it will do fine. Once SHOT is over and the rumors are verified, if it indeed can accept the original SIG 55X folding stock I intend to get one, as long as I can get it without the top rail...  changeing out the stock , eleminateing the top rail, i think it will be a winner...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#8]

I hope it brings the price of the better looking originals down so I can snag one
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Why the fuck did they put an m4 style stock on it? That was real fucking original.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think it will flop.

I wouldn't mind having an all Sig fleet, anyway.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#11]
for me it comes down to one thing.
Can I get a folding stock?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#12]
1) Sales will be weak.

2) Sigarms will re-release as a proper 550-series rifles, after taking away the Tapco catalog from the retard in the backroom.

3) Sales will be good.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Doubtful...

The average gun owner (non-ARFCOM/non-SigForums), isn't as anal about things like M4 stocks, elevated rails and futureistic looking handguards.

Some of you guys have it lucky that those are your main complaints... I'll be happy if SIG makes a banned state version.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, it's going to flop right into my waiting arms!  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#15]
The PS90 is the ugliest POS but it was unique in that respect. The SIG 556 is essentially a redesigned/upgraded variant of a 5.56 rifle. We already have the AR-15. The FN SCAR is supposed to be the M16 killer but IMHO I just don't see the point of a quick change barrel system when you can buy AKs in-country in SWA for $50 USD. If the 556 sells for under $1000, it will be a major hit. However, seeing how SIG products always carry a high price tag ($50 for SIG sub-compact mags, WTF OVER), coupled with hyped up market demand, I seriously doubt they will actually sell for under $1000. It'll probably start off close to $2000 or more. The FN FS2000 is starting off at $1800-$2200.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd say sales will be lukewarm.  Flop?  No...  

Lots of folks who want a whiz-bang rifle will find this to fit the bill.

- BG
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Doubtful...

The average gun owner (non-ARFCOM/non-SigForums), isn't as anal about things like M4 stocks, elevated rails and futureistic looking handguards.

yup.  I think the SWAT version actually looks pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Metroplex, weren't you just saying yesterday that they wouldn't go for less than 2k?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Metroplex, weren't you just saying yesterday that they wouldn't go for less than 2k?

I'm trying to find the point in your reply.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#20]
The 1911 GSR went over like a ton of crap, I see this rifle having a ton of issues out of the gate too.

Unproven design, not combat tested, nor will it ever be adopted by .mil. Last thing the .mil wants is another 5.56 rifle. I'd rather trust my life to an M4gery thanks.

AFAIK its a glorified, expensive Mini 14 with the SIG stamp on it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Some of the designs from FN look freakier and they are selling. Who knows.
As soon as it pops up in a movie it might start selling.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
home.comcast.net/~bfd750/sig.JPG

SWAT version on top

Those are nice, but I like their original form better. I am getting sick of the AR15-ization of everything.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I kinda like it, and if I have the money, I might get one, but I think the FN ARM will outsell it
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm trying to find the point in your reply.

Lots of people were saying it would cost a lot more.  All I'm saying is that we are not necessarily in the day of 2k+ black rifles.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Unproven design, not combat tested, nor will it ever be adopted by .mil. Last thing the .mil wants is another 5.56 rifle. I'd rather trust my life to an M4gery thanks.

WTF......

Moving on..... I dont see how it could flop. You have the Sig name and quality, the AK gas system and the AR modularity. While I havent handled or shot one, in my eyes it is THE hottest rifle on the market right now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#26]
If they make a Swat model with the folding stock, it will be in my safe one day.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#27]
This is what I want.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I wont buy it until they make a euro spec Sig rifle in the US for sale to us all.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Some of the designs from FN look freakier and they are selling. Who knows.
As soon as it pops up in a movie it might start selling.

hahaa how true.

"Hey what did [insert name of C-grade movie actor] use in the TAPCO-sponsered remake of HEAT?"
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#30]

I passed several up in the old days because I couldn't remember if it was the one with the bad reviews, the rifle that combined the worst of the AR and AK in one design. So I bought a Colt AR instead.

The average person will see the unusual space cowboy design and pass.  Sig means nothing to them and is an unknown company to most people. I think if it had the Ruger label it would sell better to the masses at wally world.

Gun people like us will buy them all for the first year or two, then sales will slack off.

I'll wait until they have been out six months, read the arfcom reviews, and if positive, buy then, if I can make it look like the old model. A cross between an AK and an AR can be a good thing, plus I feel bad for missing out last time I saw one on the gunshop wall.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I would like to SBR it, but other than that I wouldnt like one. But, the first person to do a torture test on this will convince me further.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I think it looks fine. Some of you guys need an enema.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I broke the damn.

I mean.

I will buy one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#35]

That stock is inconsistent with normal Swiss winter designs. Freeze your face on a metal buffer tube, right?  Thank you so much for a metal buffer tube

I’d have to replace that with a Megpul M93 at the very least.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I thought yes, at first, looking at the first pics that came out.  I don't think anyone really questions the reliablity and accuracy of these rifles, it's generally bitching about furniture and layout. (which I did plenty of myself, already).  I think a lot of the negative feedback here on Arfcom is based is due not only to the "I want something really different" crowd, but also because a lot of us recognize that telestock, while people from non AR forums might not.  Certainly gave it a cheap aftermarket vibe.

Now, seeing some more pics, I'm not quite as pessimisitic about them.  However I'd rather save my money and wait for the FN SCAR, or even try the FS2000.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#37]

You're parents couldnt have raised you to be this stupid?

The SIG 55x series, including the 556, is a family of weapons that have been around since the mid 70's. They are notoriously rugged, well built and are in use by several nations globally in various capacities. They are more than proven weapons and adopted by our own federal gov. for DOJ/FBI/DHS

SIG has made the series even better by ditching the stamped steel lower, rocker reloads and the the borderline useless folder. What the fuck are people bitching about. SIG has literally made the gun better. And the SWAT version is hot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
This is what I want.

www.scaar.at/airsoft/sig4.jpg

Preach it brother, preach it!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
This is what I want.

+1
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
1) Sales will be weak.

2) Sigarms will re-release as a proper 550-series rifles, after taking away the Tapco catalog from the retard in the backroom.

3) Sales will be good.

I hope that's what happens...

I had $2500 set aside to buy one & accessories...Gonna buy an AR-10 & associated goodies now.

Maybe SIG will get their shit together and offer a truly authentic semi-auto version of the 550 series.

One that actually uses SIG 550 mags and has the real side-folding stock...not something that looks like it was ass-raped by First Samco...

If I wanted something that had 5.56/.223 AR-type parts on it, I would have bought another 5.56/.223 AR...

As it sits right now, I wouldn't give $500 for one of those abortions...

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
This is what I want.

Thats what I want, not this thing they came up with.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I didn't like the first pictures that came out, but if the price doesn't get too inflated I WILL be buying one of these. Swat version preferably.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

You're parents couldnt have raised you to be this stupid?

The SIG 55x series, including the 556, is a family of weapons that have been around since the mid 70's. They are notoriously rugged, well built and are in use by several nations globally in various capacities. They are more than proven weapons and adopted by our own federal gov. for DOJ/FBI/DHS

SIG has made the series even better by ditching the stamped steel lower, rocker reloads and the the borderline useless folder. What the fuck are people bitching about. SIG has literally made the gun better. And the SWAT version is hot.

Most people here think they should have tooled up to produce a rifle that while neat to collectors is missing things that police and agencies want, and then forced THEM to buy those things extra to add to the 'classic' rifle.  Those things are adjustable stocks, large third party accessories list, light weight, use of existing hardware.  They think the best business plan was to make Jim Bob collector happy so he could buy 1 for his safe, while bulk buyers said, "why".  

This is rock-solid business in the minds of the folks bitching at every opertunity.   SIG has said most all the things the collectors want can be fitted to the rifle, and still, they bitch on.  You'd think SIG kicked the whole world in the nuts by adding another choice to the world of 5.56mm rifles.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
This is what I want.

To be honest, after staring at 556 photos the past couple of days, the old style 556 grip and stamped metal is starting to look really cheap and dated.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
To be honest, after staring at 556 photos the past couple of days, the old style 556 grip and stamped metal is starting to look really cheap and dated.

You are probably alone in that opinion.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I certainly won't be buying one.

But I'm in California and couldn't get one even if I wanted to.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Sloppy...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#48]
What were these guys smoking when they designed this frankenAR?   It must be shitty stuff because I just dont understand why they would ruin such a beautiful rifle.  The really dont see what made the 55x series so attractive to the US buyers.  They took almost all of the good stuff out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+551
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+551

+552
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top