User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For professional positions. Yes.

If you cannot manager your money, I do not want you managing mine.

If I am hiring a janitor then I do not care.

What?

The janitor has access to everything in the building

We hire "limited capacity" people to work custodial jobs. They have access to every office and file lockup. They appreciate having jobs where they are trusted, and in fact they are a riot eat lunch with every day. So far they have been 100% trustworthy and I consider many of them to be friends. I wouldn't give them an AR-15 for xmas but they are still good people.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

generally agreed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
... I'm hiring a person for their qualifications first, but I'm hedging my bet on their character by researching them before awarding them a six-figure income.

... You betcha!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If I'm hiring someone with cash management responsibilities, I'm running a credit check before hiring.  People who have heavy debts and easy access to someone else's cash are a bad combination.

You're jumping to a conclusion there.  Same erroneous assertion as saying that being a gunowner makes it more likley you'll use that gun in a crime.

If I'm hiring a production employee who doesn't collect cash, doesn't sign checks or has any say in the financial aspect of the business, I really don't see the point.  If I'm going to hire a guy to wash windows, I don't really care what his credit is like.

I have been a CFO before, signing checks of several million dollars and never had a report run on me.  I would never ask it of an employee, any more than I would ask them to bring in a pair of their wife's underwear or a video of him fucking his wife.  

It's a privacy issue, IMHO.

Besides, I'm not issuing credit to my General Ledger administrator - I'm hiring him to maintain the GL.  I might as well ask for a driving record to evaluate "personal responsibility".
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
....What do you think?

It depends...... if it involves any financial/sensitive info., yes. Otherwise, it's totally up to the employer....

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Right for the first, but even the second can be a problem.  Someone with serious money problems can be a thief.  Yes, I know, he/she can be taking on a second job to payy off the debt.  Still, it would be a concern.

In my main civilian job, I had to be bonded; then, it was a bank.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

ETA both times I've outed frauds in a company I worked for they both had very shitty credit scores. Not all people with bad credit are frauds, but most frauds have bad credit. One went to prison, and I testified at his sentencing hearing towards his deceipt. I hope he likes taking it up the poop chute during his 5 year stay for his $80k take.

If you're going to commit a crime, at least make the profit worth the penalty.

"Not all gun owners are criminals, but all criminals who commit gun crimes are gun owners.  We'd be safer by just not hiring gun owners"
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right for the first, but even the second can be a problem.  Someone with serious money problems can be a thief.  Yes, I know, he/she can be taking on a second job to payy off the debt.  Still, it would be a concern.

In my main civilian job, I had to be bonded; then, it was a bank.

When we got our bond we had to have credit checks run on us.  They should accept that.  The run a credit check on me and they can find out everything I've financed (including a long running gun store account ) so they can get some indicator of things they shouldn't .  This specific job is a driving job,  they should have access to whether or not I have any drug/ alcohol convictions, any type of felony, and my driving record.  In addition to my work history and my safety record at past jobs.  That's all fine and dandy, it all applies to the job.  The fact that I made monthly $500-$1000 payments to a gun store is none of their fucking buisness.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate to ruin your interesting suppositions but most of the time you get a pre-employment "credit" check they are just checking you employment history and sometime conviction history.  They use the Credit Check companies and therefore the forms and permissions because the laws are pretty clear on how to handle the information, ec.  As noted, credit is not a bonafide occupational qualification for many jobs.  It's just the easiest and cheapest way for most companies to do employmnet accuracy on the applications.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't get that,  my ex wife had all kinds of credit issues stemming from being the victim of fraud.  We literally got a new credit report every 2 weeks for 3 months. (through a friend at a car dealship) They never had employment info on them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Lets say you are in a medical field or you handle/possess a million + worth of equipment.  Wouldn't you want to know what that person has in their back ground?  Say a school teacher?  A food preparer?  Yes, it is a good idea, along with a complete background check.  

We do it, it is a necessity.  If shit goes bad, they sue the one with the deepest pockets, the employer.  There is no other choice than to cover any bases you can.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My current employer everyone from the CEO to the file clerk goes through a rigorous background check:

- Every reference is called and grilled for 30+ minutes

If someone called me and wants to take up my time grilling me about someone who gave me as a reference they’re taking me away from my job. They will get a bill from me. 5 minutes OK but time is money, if I'm helping your business I'm not doing my job, making my company money. That is stealing time from my company.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Lets say you are in a medical field or you handle/possess a million + worth of equipment.  Wouldn't you want to know what that person has in their back ground?  Say a school teacher?  A food preparer?  Yes, it is a good idea, along with a complete background check.  

We do it, it is a necessity.  If shit goes bad, they sue the one with the deepest pockets, the employer.  There is no other choice than to cover any bases you can.

So a CT Scan technician should undergo such a check, for fear they'll what?  Steal the CT Scan machine and sell it at a pawnshop or something?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top