Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/9/2006 11:54:36 AM EDT
My next door neighbor, an 18 yr old and pretty decent kid, has signed delayed entry papers to the AF and wants to be a PJ. I told him I would see if I could find someone who might talk to him about what it is really like. It is always good to talk to those in the know as opposed to just someone who watches the Military Channel and read SOF like me.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:57:51 AM EDT
Lightfighter

Tread respectfully. A good bunch of guys who have all the answers you could ever want. Not quite as smack-down happy as SOCNET, but still a little itchy with the verbal-bitchslap trigger-finger.

Sheep
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:00:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SheepDog_556:
Lightfighter

Tread respectfully. A good bunch of guys who have all the answers you could ever want. Not quite as smack-down happy as SOCNET, but still a little itchy with the verbal-bitchslap trigger-finger.

Sheep

Thanks. I'll do my best not to let the ARFcom GD behavior come out over there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:30:45 AM EDT
My next door neighbor, an 18 yr old and pretty decent kid, has signed delayed entry papers to the AF and wants to be a PJ. I told him I would see if I could find someone who might talk to him about what it is really like. It is always good to talk to those in the know as opposed to just someone who watches the Military Channel and read SOF like me.

Pararescue and Combat Control recruiters look for volunteers early in Basic Training. When a person volunteers to try out for PJ or CCT, they will forfeit any guarenteed job they have signed for.
Meaning: IF you do not qualify for PJ or CCT, the rest of your enlistment will be spent doing what the AF needs you to do. Important to note: These career fields have about 60-70 percent washout rate. This is kind of risky for someone who had signed up for a guarenteed job and delayed enlistment.

Tell him to choose wisely.

B_S
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:40:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Blue_Suiter:

Pararescue and Combat Control recruiters look for volunteers early in Basic Training. When a person volunteers to try out for PJ or CCT, they will forfeit any guarenteed job they have signed for.
Meaning: IF you do not qualify for PJ or CCT, the rest of your enlistment will be spent doing what the AF needs you to do. Important to note: These career fields have about 60-70 percent washout rate. This is kind of risky for someone who had signed up for a guarenteed job and delayed enlistment.

Tell him to choose wisely.

B_S

I'm in class with a couple of recruiters right now, and they told me there are no longer "tryouts" at BMT for those two jobs. You have to take the test prior to going to MEPS and come in to those career fields as a guaranteed jobs. Send your buddy over here to get the scoop: www.specialtactics.com/

I worked with PJs for a couple years, deployed with them, etc. They have the toughest training in the AF, and the second best job. Ours had jet skis, snowmobiles, two boston whalers, huge 4x4 truck with all the goodies, all types of parashuting gear, and basically got to use whatever equipment whenever they wanted for training. The deployments can be a little challenging for those guys though.
Top Top