Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 7:34:13 AM EDT
I was thinking about this the other day.  One of my buddies has got about a million tools and has a huge toolkit that he carries around.  If we are doing a project that needs a tool we don't have, he says "Oh, I've got something in my shop that would be perfect for this."

I, on the other hand, have a Leatherman Pulse and a Gerber or CKRT 3" blade that I carry with me about everywhere and can get just about everything done with 1 tool and a knife.

I'm interested in which camp most of the rest of ARFCOM fits.  

I know: "the right tool for the job" is the way it's supposed to go, but if you can't carry .5 tons of equipment with you at all times, what good does it do.  I guess, I consider myself more like (the pro-gun version of) McGuyver for that reason!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump!

C'mon, guys I'm looking for help, here!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I just read the "Man Rule Book"

it says

GET BOTH
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#4]

I keep good toolkits in my vehicles and I have LOTS of tools, power and hand, at home.  That said, 9 times out of 10 I use my Swisstool or my CRKT.

My best multitool repair was (temporarily) fixing a seized front left brake on my truck by disconnecting the brake fluid line to that side, levering open the pads with the screwdriver, then clamping the line with the pliers and duct-taping the handles to keep the pressure.  Then I taped the whole mess to the frame and drove home with one fromt brake
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#5]
When the only tool available is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.

Multi-tools are great, they save a lot of time running out to the truck, or running out to the shop, etc. for small jobs, or if you're seperated from your tools for any reason. We can't go through life lugging around a machine shop.

But until they make a multitool with an arc welder, table saw, rollaway cabinet, air compressor, torque wrench, chainsaw, dremel, etc. it's just a nifty pocket gadget.

You can't have too many tools, I have tools I use only once a year, tools I don't really need, but might someday.

When you need a peavey, or a wrecking bar, or a milling machine, a swiss army knife won't do.

I guess it depends on you lifestyle, an apartment renter who drives a new car and works at a desk may get by without any tools at all, poor saps.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Growing up my Grandpa was my best friend. He could do anything and I was his helper. I remember standing in his garage one day as he was looking for something. He said something like: You can collect tools all of your life but there will always be something else you need. Sometimes you will only use something one time but you can't get rid of it because as soon as you do, you will need it. He was right.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I have my toolbox in my truck.

On my person, I only carry my Craftsman razor knife.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I am a little bit of both.

75% of the time I am a multi-tool guy, but when I am working on my good guns, I always use the proper tools. (I ruined too many screws and one time a Carbine receiver because I used the wrong tool.)

If I don't have the proper tools and knowledge, I will send the guns out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top