Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an '03 Tundra with the 4.7. Only 105K miles, looks like I'll be hanging onto it for a long while now. I was hoping they'd drop a diesel in and really make the newer truck a serious hauler. The 4.7 would do just fine as a good 'utility' engine, then for the serious work, buy the oil burner.

Instead, we'll get just another thirsty 5.7 gasser. Maybe in '09 :(
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks a lot like the 2005+ Ford F150 to me. Big honkin' grill, high sides with windows that won't pass a big gulp cup, fat ass and probably $$$$^2.
They shouldn't have made it bigger.  The Tundra was the perfect 3/4 size pickup.  Bigger than a Tacco but small enough not to piss people off trying to park it at the mall.

Fritz    2000 F150 owner

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it looks cool.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Heh......I did a starter in a Tundra about a month ago.......cost the owner nearly 700 bucks...guess where the starter is.....center of the engine...under the intake manifold.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Heh......I did a starter in a Tundra about a month ago.......cost the owner nearly 700 bucks...guess where the starter is.....center of the engine...under the intake manifold.

Reliability discussions aside, people always seem to forget that certain makes and models have prohibitively expensive parts or labor intensive replacement procedures. No domestic or import make is exempt.

I've worked on enough vehicles and spent more time drenched in sweat in the driveway to know parts availability and ease of replacement are king.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Toyota designers went south with the Tacoma, now this.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Looks a lot like the 2005+ Ford F150 to me. Big honkin' grill, high sides with windows that won't pass a big gulp cup, fat ass and probably $$$$^2.
They shouldn't have made it bigger.  The Tundra was the perfect 3/4 size pickup.  Bigger than a Tacco but small enough not to piss people off trying to park it at the mall.

Fritz    2000 F150 owner

Hey mother##$$   DON'T insult the 2005 F-150 by saying that thing looks anything like the Ford.  The Ford is one damn good looking truck.   So good looking that I switched brands for it.  I'll bet ya the Toyota won't do as well as the F-150 in the milage dept either.   Stupid designers.

Why is it that it seems only Chrysler Corp has any imaginative designers lately?   Too bad their fit and finish and reliablility is so poor.

That Toyota looks like shit.  I like the new Tacoma style, it looks beefy and sporty.   That looks like.....ewwwwe.

BTW, Damn I like my F150 Super Crew FX4.   The best part is the interior, which I will say looks like toyota tried to copy, but with out any imagination.   I like the shifter on the counsel, and the round vent/ac  holes in the Ford interior much better.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reliability discussions aside, people always seem to forget that certain makes and models have prohibitively expensive parts or labor intensive replacement procedures. No domestic or import make is exempt.

I've worked on enough vehicles and spent more time drenched in sweat in the driveway to know parts availability and ease of replacement are king.

Exactly.....I did a a/c compressor and lines on a 98 Ford Taurus ysterday.......6 hours labor and nearly 1k  worth of parts.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The whole appeal of the Tundra was that it was an "almost full-size" truck. Bigger than the micro pick-ups, but not some oversized monstrosity. Now it is just as big as the others. Hopefully the quality will be there, as there is little to distinguish it now from the others.
Oh well, at least the Tacoma got a bit bigger.

And +1 on it being now an inbred bastard child of a Titan and a Ram

Come on! Its a Toyota, of course the quality is gonna be there. If it was a chevy or a Ford I could understand your concern. Sad but true.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Toyota designers went south with the Tacoma, now this.

+1.  They fuck up the Taco and now the Tundra, YET they won't bring the HiLux or the (real) Landcruiser here.  We all can be sure to thank a soccer mom
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll be getting one if they have a short bed version. Which from the reading I did they have three length beds as well as three different cab versions. I want the one(the cab) in the picture, with a shorter bed in 4x4. Either white or silver. OH yes I'll be getting one. I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks pretty bad
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#14]
another ugly fuckin jap truck. lets send more money out of the country. will some of you be happy when china starts importing cars and trucks too?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice Ford F-150.

Steven
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That's it, Toyota finally ruined everything in their product line.  Killed the great cars the MR2, Supra, the fun car MR-S,  trucks were the only thing worth a damn in their line up anymore.   I bought a 2003 Tacoma and love the looks, styling.  They used to sell superchargers via Toyota Racing Development for their vehicles, their latest catalogue doesnt show anything for current year models.  Now the new Tacoma and the Tundra have been fuglicized.

Toyota is about the only company that doesnt make something new Id want to own
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I think it looks nice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Chevy and Ford will work things out in the near future(2-5 years) and their trucks will still be on top as they have been for the last 50 years. Once they get rid of the unions and get the engineers back running the company GM/Ford will be king again.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#19]
That sucks.

I agree with those who've said it was totally the wrong way to go with the tundra, the tundra was cool because it was designed and built to be a light half-ton truck from the very beginning.

I drive a standard cab '01, It has an 8'+ bed, 49.5" between the wheelwells, a 2000lb payload, room for three across the cab if they're not lardasses, 4wd, V8, and gets 20mpg on the highway, all packed into a small package with a tight turn radius, excellent handling, low center of gravity combined with good ground clearance and decent approach/departure angles.

The Tundra platform was always too short a wheelbase to really make an extended cab work IMO, lost too much payload capacity with the extended cab. Since 99% of the tundras on the road are extended cabs I understand why people complained it was too small, but this is totally the wrong solution.

They should have simply offered a longer wheelbase tundra and put the standard bed behind the extended cab, maybe beefed up the drivetrain and spring rates a bit and offered their corporate 4cyl 200HP commercial diesel as an option, that would be a nice truck that filled a useful niche in the market.

This truck just competes directly with the F150, Titan, etc. The overweight, overgrown light half ton market is saturated as it is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
guess where the starter is.....center of the engine...under the intake manifold.

WTF? Wheres the head exploding picture when you need it?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:18:28 AM EDT
[#21]
No rikey, no rikey at all.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:25:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Bed depth: 22.3

Why is it all four major makers make their large pick-ups with such high sides to the beds?  That makes it very hard to use as a work truck if you can't put something in the bed without having to lift it high above your shoulders.  Despite the sides being so high, the beds on the new trucks are all very shallow.   Last weekend I hauled four loads of dirt in a new Dodge and a 30 year-old Ford.  The old Ford carried almost twice as much dirt (wild guess from looking at the size of the piles) and had lower sides that made it easier to shovel the dirt into.  The Dodge was a pain to work with because of the height of the bottom of the bed, and it simply couldn't haul much since the bed is so shallow.  I think the bed on this Tundra is even shallower!  Give me a work truck I can use.  Not something that simply uses the bed as a fashion accessory like the big four do now.z
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:19:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I prefer the Tacoma

04' Tacoma
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:26:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
they put a nissan titan and a dodge ram in a blender

My thoughts exactly.  It's a damn shame - Toyota makes a fine truck, quality-wise, but their new models are butt-ugly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:46:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That is one ugly truck.

+1.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:02:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm happy that the truck is coming out... My company is going to be making parts for it, 200,000 trucks the first year, 300,000 the next. It may be a Toyota, but it's keeping a lot of Americans in the stamping industry employed...

I like the look of the F150 a lot better, but the Tundra is probably a more reliable truck. I'm sick of vehicles that were designed for failure at the 100k mile mark.. Whoever designed leases into the big three's business model needs to be hanged.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:19:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:48:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
another ugly fuckin jap truck. lets send more money out of the country. will some of you be happy when china starts importing cars and trucks too?

When the UAW decides to stop running the U.S. companies in to the ground, and start making quality trucks then most of us will.

The ignorance on the board is unbelieveable.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:54:41 AM EDT
[#29]
they put a nissan titan and a --//dodge ram--//  caddilac excalde in a blender

Just a quick fixeroo.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:08:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:27:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Ugly pug-nose looking thing with more style than a truck ought to have. Not ghey like the hood-scoop wearing "sport trucks" but just too much for me. If I wanted 10,000 pounds of towing and 8 miles to the gallon I'd get an F250.

My 2003 F-350 with the 7.3L Powerstroke diesel gets 18-20 mpg hwy and 13-14 mpg towing 10K.

BTW, I think the new Tundra is just fine. Personally, I think it looks better than what it is replacing. Not that I would buy one, though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:31:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Now the new Tacoma and the Tundra have been fuglicized.

I agree on the new Tundra.  The new Tacoma looks much better than the old ones.

I always liked the size of the compact pickups like the Nissan Hardbody from the late '80s and '90s and the Toyos from the same era.

The bigger Tacomas might be better trucks (or they might not be), but those little trucks were pretty cool.

(I had a 1986.5 Nissan Hardbody Xtracab V-6 4x4 SE model and loved it)
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:34:39 AM EDT
[#33]
FUGLY as hell.  5 fullsize trucks on the market and if it wasn't for the emblem on the front grill I couldn't tell them a part.  Why must they keep on changing the body styles like that?  I like how they looked when they first came out, LIKE A TRUCK.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When the UAW decides to stop running the U.S. companies in to the ground, and start making quality trucks then most of us will.

May the best bang for buck car/truck/whatever win!
Regardless of where it is made

Of course excepting countries that we are at war with
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:42:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The more I look it, the more I'm pleased with the new design.  I liked it at first, now I really like it.

I agree. Good looking truck, if you ask me. Of course, I probably never would buy one, especially with no diesel offered.

My days of buying full-size pickups without diesels are done. That, and I'm a Ford guy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:47:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I'll second, third, to infinity the statement....FUGLY!

But people with the "my Japanese vehicle is better" arrogance will line up for them.   Kinda like the Emperor's New Clothes.  Oh well.

R
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:01:17 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

May the best bang for buck car/truck/whatever win!
Regardless of where it is made

Of course excepting countries that we are at war with

That's what a free market is all about.  The .gov is just as much to blame for the U.S. auto industry failures.  The idea of the import tariff on jap cars was good.  It just created a monster here in the U.S. with the big 3 knowing they didn’t need to make great stuff because the .gov would make the jap stuff more expensive.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top