Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 6:01:05 AM EDT
Hiya folks!

A few days ago I posted a question about whether or not UPS would ship ammo via air for a next day delivery.  The overwhelming consensus was that they would not.  This however, turns out to be false.

My ammo was shipped Monday evening from Idaho and arrived at my house in Arizona Tuesday afternoon, stickered "UPS 2nd Day Air."  It is not cheap to have it shipped this way by any stretch of the imagination, but if you need it in a big hurry it is an available option.  

I am not posting this to say anyone was wrong, just to inform anyone that might want an air shipment of ammunition that it is possible.  I've noticed that many of us have a lot of questions concerning shipping firearms and ammunition, especially myself, so I felt it prudent to share my new-found knowledge with the good people here.  Hopefully this information helps someone, which was my entire point of this post.

FYI:  Shipping info.

One package ammo, shipped from Idaho to AZ, total weight 27 pounds, UPS 2nd Day Air.  The next package will be delivered today from the same location, 3-day ground express, about 70 more pounds of ammo.  The total cost of shipping was about $100 for both packages.  So one can figure a little more than $1 per pound if requesting express delivery.  

Hope this helps!

Richard
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Was the box the ammo was shipped in bearing the ORM-D sticker on it?

www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/hazardous/examples/air_ormd.html

Mike
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Good to know. Thanks!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:43:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Was the box the ammo was shipped in bearing the ORM-D sticker on it?

www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/hazardous/examples/air_ormd.html

Mike

Yes.  It reads, "Catridges, Small Arms."  Right below that on the same sticker it says, "ORM-D."  It looks like a clear piece of tape with a stamp on it.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#4]
btt for anyone interested
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#5]
UPS turned me down just a week ago.  Had a pistol shipped next day air and they rejected it at the distribution warehouse before it hit the plane.  The pistol was shipped in an old ammo cardboard box titled with the ORM-D sticker/stamp on it.  Even through explaining to UPS that there was no ammo or anything in it, they refused to ship and the seller had to eat the charges.

Must be a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
UPS turned me down just a week ago.  Had a pistol shipped next day air and they rejected it at the distribution warehouse before it hit the plane.  The pistol was shipped in an old ammo cardboard box titled with the ORM-D sticker/stamp on it.  Even through explaining to UPS that there was no ammo or anything in it, they refused to ship and the seller had to eat the charges.

Must be a crap shoot.

Sounds like it!  Out of 18 replies to my thread asking if they would, 14 or 15 were adamant that they would not.  But then I get my ammo via air.  

They make these rules up as they go along, per office?  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Must be a crap shoot.

Sounds like it!  Out of 18 replies to my thread asking if they would, 14 or 15 were adamant that they would not.  But then I get my ammo via air.  

They make these rules up as they go along, per office?  

Yes, they make it up as they go.
Especially at the new UPS Stores.
When you hire temps to work a cash register and pack a box, you don't get regulatory knowlege.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top