Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 3:54:17 AM EDT
 I posted this in the Armory, but it isnt getting seen.  I inherited a Rheinmetall shot gun that belonged to my grandfather.  He served in Europe in WWII, so Im assuming that he brought it home in his duffle bag (no import stamps).  I googled Rheinmetal and only found military arms.  Apparantly, Rheinmetal is involved w/ the DOD kinda like General Electric.  They make guns, but not for civi's.  Anyway, the shot gun is on a Browning patent w/ a recoiling barrel.  It is a 16 gauge and has a Monte Carlo style butt stock.  If anyone has ever seen or heard of a sporting shotgun made by Rheinmetall please tell me about it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:05:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, I don't know anything about it but I would really enjoy seeing some photos!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:35:44 AM EDT
[#2]
They're truly an unusual gun and there is not a lot of info available on them.

Here's what little I know...

They were all made prior to 1936. Made in 20,16 and, 12 guage models, they were ordered through Rhinmetall but actually manufactured by a sub contractor. They were considered a "catalog gun" and were only made to order. It is not a John Browning designed A5. It looks very simular to the attempt that Winchester made to make an autoloader without stepping on the Browning patient.

Is the barrel marked "Rheinmetall NR 4. Germany and Nitro" with sort of a stylized   'diamond' inside a circle??

Does the receiver look like this?

I haven't clue as to value.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Im not sure about the stamping, but that is what the receiver looks like.  It is an interesting design, but I didnt realize that it was that old.  Does anyone have any idea where I can look to learn more?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
What Ospre21 said except that Winchester didn't get to use the (patend offending pull handle on the bolt)your gun does!   That would mean that it was bootlegged or indeed made under the Browning Patend!!!

I have some early Rem 11's made under the BP that use that same design!!

I would also like to know more about this shotgun!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Both Winchester (Model 11) and Savage (Models 755 & 775) versions of the Browing A5 were manufactured under license from Fabrique Nationale.  Apparently, there is something in your shotgun which is covered by a Browning pattend.  

I really dig those old forged/milled steel shotguns.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]
 I'll try to get pics next week when I get home.  My granddad and great uncle were hard on their guns, so the three shotguns that I inherited are rough.  I got a Rheinmetall, a Rem. Model 31 (I think), and a Royal Arms Works Dbl. barrel Damascus 12 gauge made in Belgium.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:39:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Does anyone have any idea where I can look to learn more?

Ask around over here; shotgunworld.com/

But like I said, there's not too much info available.

Good luck!  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help.  What a country!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top