Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 2:51:27 AM EDT
UNREAL.  certain sections highlighted by me.  Google buckles to the Chinese.  But they're a left coast liberal company, so they can't do wrong.  Right? According to the Times, THEY'RE NOT!  Heck, the recent Silicon Valley collusion with the Chinese won't even have an affect!

I'll give you teh winning quotes first:

---------------

"Symbolically, the government may have scored a victory with Google, but Web users are becoming a lot more savvy and sophisticated, and the censors' life is not getting easier," said Xiao Qiang, leader of the Internet project at the University of California, Berkeley. "The flow of information is getting steadily freer, in fact. If I was in the State Councils information office, I certainly wouldn't think we had any reason to celebrate."

---------------

A case in point is the Chinese government's recent effort to rein in bloggers who tread too often into delicate territory, criticizing state policy or detailing official corruption. In December, the government ordered Microsoft and its MSN service to close the site of Michael Anti, one of China's most popular bloggers.

Although Mr. Anti — who is also an employee of the Beijing bureau of The New York Times — had his site closed, any Chinese Web surfer can choose from scores of other online commentators who are equally provocative, and more are coming online all the time.

------------------

Last year, Yahoo was criticized for revealing the identity of an Internet journalist, Shi Tao, who was subsequently jailed. [On Wednesday, the Committee to Protect Journalists said court documents posted on a Chinese Web site showed that Yahoo had done the same in 2003, resulting in the jailing of another writer, Li Zhi.]

--------------

And here comes the apologist title of the article that - I GUARANTEE YOU - is the begining of a series on why Silicon Valley, that bastion of left wing modern-pseudo-hippie-dom that donates to the DNC can do NO wrong:

Despite Web Crackdown, Prevailing Winds Are Free

I'm gonna say that again:

Despite Web Crackdown, Prevailing Winds Are Free

Yahoo gets people jailed possibly killed.  Google censors search results regarding human rights and democracy and MSN shuts down blogs related to same, ALL IN THE NAME OF PROFITS OVER FREEDOM.  

And the Times is there to brush it off.  Not like they claim to be the premeir defender of first amendment rights or anything.

These people are sick.  They put their election year liberal agenda in front of anything they have resembling a shred of morality.  They do it subtly slowly and let it build till mainstreamers realize what's going on.  

WHY did I even read that article?

If you want to make the same mistake I did:

www.nytimes.com/2006/02/09/international/asia/09letter.html?hp&ex=1139547600&en=73dd1ecce2dc4111&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:10:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the warning. I haven't had breakfast yet. I'll just get your drift and skip the article.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top