Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/8/2006 7:58:50 PM EDT
Here it comes folks. I know nothing of technology, in fact, it's a miracle of muscle memory that I can log onto ARF. Somebody showed me once and I learned how. I'm a bit of a caveman, and have no idea what these things are about.

Mrs gorilla has determined that she wants more out of her husband than dead animals dragged back to the cave, so she just has to have one of these damn things for V-Day. These things are pretty pretty damn outrageous for what folks are asking for them, and I need someone to guide me. Tell me, do they play just any songs that you have downloaded to your computer? We already have I-tunes on the computer(probably the first hint at what she wanted). Since we do have that, would I have to pay to download, like a buck a song or something? Can my previously downloaded songs be converted to I-tunes, so I don't have to pay for music I already have?

Please fill me in on these.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Id rather have a cheaper product thast does the same or better and doesnt have the "its an apple" markup
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's some reading info on generations, models, pricing, etc:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipod

You actually are picking a good time to buy one of these, Apple just announced price cuts across the board yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome. I have the Nano and the Shuffle. The 512mb(120 songs) Shuffle is only $99 and the 1Gb(250 songs) Shuffle is about $130.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Awesome. I have the Nano and the Shuffle. The 512mb(120 songs) Shuffle is only $99 and the 1Gb(250 songs) Shuffle is about $130.

The 1Gb was the one I was thinking. When we go riding on the bike, she likes to have music to listen to. That's it's primary purpose. Are they tough?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
We have two iPod's. I wired my truck for it and bought an extra cradle for it for my home theater. Both are 20 gig models. Love'em. I can take my music that I'm listening to at home, jump in the truck listening to the same stuff, then walk to class listening to the same stuff... then repeat but backwards on the way home.

-d
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing else on the market compares to the iPod.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 1Gb was the one I was thinking. When we go riding on the bike, she likes to have music to listen to. That's it's primary purpose. Are they tough?

they are solid state circuitry.. so that means no moving parts.. shake them all you want, and they will still play. You might want to get one of the arm band deals to hold it, might keep it out of harms way a little.

-d
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The music you already purchased in your itunes will be downloaded to your new ipod automatically, once the ipod is connected. Any additional music you purchase will also be downloaded to the ipod. You can also take music from any CD's you have and put it on the ipod. IMO, do not get the cheapest ipod, I think it's called "Mini". Get the "Nano", it's the one with the smaller video screen. I cheaped out before I purchased my ipod and purchased the Dell Jukebox, it was horrible. I ended up selling it and got the large ipod, major difference.

ETA; I recommend you purchase the screen protector, the screen scratches fairly easily.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

they are solid state circuitry.. so that means no moving parts.. shake them all you want, and they will still play. You might want to get one of the arm band deals to hold it, might keep it out of harms way a little.

-d

I could break it, I have broken about anything including myself
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Ebay...

Click me
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ebay...

Click me

Great price, only a minute to go.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

I could break it, I have broken about anything including myself

Anyone can break something.. just a matter of how well you take care of it.

-d
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Wrong.  Their list prices are $69 and $99.  If you see one for $130, then someone is charging 30% over retail.

It's amazing how much misinformation gets posted here whenever the topic of Apple comes-up.z
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#14]

You can get a 10% educational discount at the apple website. Just put in your school. All done on honor, no proof required.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here it comes folks. I know nothing of technology, in fact, it's a miracle of muscle memory that I can log onto ARF. Somebody showed me once and I learned how. I'm a bit of a caveman, and have no idea what these things are about.

Mrs gorilla has determined that she wants more out of her husband than dead animals dragged back to the cave, so she just has to have one of these damn things for V-Day. These things are pretty pretty damn outrageous for what folks are asking for them, and I need someone to guide me. Tell me, do they play just any songs that you have downloaded to your computer? We already have I-tunes on the computer(probably the first hint at what she wanted). Since we do have that, would I have to pay to download, like a buck a song or something? Can my previously downloaded songs be converted to I-tunes, so I don't have to pay for music I already have?

Please fill me in on these.

Yup, any songs you have in your itunes library will be automatically downloaded into your ipod whenever you connect it to your PC, unless you change the default settings on itunes. You can import other songs you have on your PC into itunes, and you can also copy songs off of CDs into itunes. new stuff can be purchased through the itunes musc store for 99 cents per song.

It really is pretty intuitive once you get into it. The itunes help feature is pretty usable.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The music you already purchased in your itunes will be downloaded to your new ipod automatically, once the ipod is connected. Any additional music you purchase will also be downloaded to the ipod. You can also take music from any CD's you have and put it on the ipod.

What about shared files? i.e. Limewire  does Itunes differentiate between paid music and shared music?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The music you already purchased in your itunes will be downloaded to your new ipod automatically, once the ipod is connected. Any additional music you purchase will also be downloaded to the ipod. You can also take music from any CD's you have and put it on the ipod.

What about shared files? i.e. Limewire  does Itunes differentiate between paid music and shared music?

That's a good question, that I don't have an answer to. I'm not familiar with Limewire and similiar sites. If that music is downloaded to your PC, then Ipod should pick it up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#18]
This caveman utilzes a Rio Forge and has no problems. It's ergonomic too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I recently puchased the iPod Nano (Black 4gb) for $249 direct from the Apple Store in our local mall.  I also purchased an arm band for when I go running and an FM transceiver for the car.  I just tune a radio station in my car with no music on it and tune the transceiver to the same station and I have near CD quality sound.  (Static every once in a while)  Cost approx. $50-60 for the FM transceiver.

Great product.  Not only holds a crap load of songs...but stores photos that you can view on the color screen.  Great place to store photos besides bulking up your walet.

Quality is top notch...sure you pay for the name but they do make a quality product.  I think this would be your best option.

Oh...and to answer your question...I use iTunes and other internet software to get my songs.  I don't pay for 99% of my music.  You can take that comment however you want.  But I think you catch my drift.

Hope that helps.

-MEI
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
We have two iPod's. I wired my truck for it and bought an extra cradle for it for my home theater. Both are 20 gig models. Love'em. I can take my music that I'm listening to at home, jump in the truck listening to the same stuff, then walk to class listening to the same stuff... then repeat but backwards on the way home.

-d

So you can store 5000 songs? 1 gig being 250.

AB
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:33:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.  Their list prices are $69 and $99.  If you see one for $130, then someone is charging 30% over retail.

It's amazing how much misinformation gets posted here whenever the topic of Apple comes-up.z

I forgot they cut the prices at the first of the year.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have yet to see a Ipod NIB for 69, do you have a link?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a hard time spending from 100-300 for what amounts to a Walkman.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a 30 gig video Ipod and I really like it, it was a Christmas gift. The thing I like is the downloadable video from Itunes. I have the Battlestar Galactica miniseries and the first season of the Office on it  and it is a great time killer. As soon as I can figure out how to copy some dvds to it I will put the Firefly series on it. The only problem I have had so far is battery life I am strting to be concerned with the lack of it. It is not anywhere close to Apple's projected battery life.

Other than that it is great. Oh I use a tape adapter since my car still has one, it works great and was 9 bucks at Wal-Mart.

96Ag
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

AB

You COULD, but it depends on the length of the songs, it depends if you have music video's on it, pictures, etc..
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I currently use a Sony HiMD player at work.  Holds 1GB on a disc, which is about 8 hours of music @ 256kbps.  It's a great unit, but Sony really REALLY screwed the pooch on Minidisc.  It COULD have been a serious competitor to Ipod... But Sony's 'our shit don't stink' attitude combined with the 'if it says 'Sony' people will buy it!' really fuct the technology.  1GB discs that are easily swappable, relatively cheap and limitlessly expandable... but Sony had to fuck it.

I'm not bitter or anything.

Well, I also download TV shows, and burn them to DVDs to watch at work, since I work in the evening, and it's usually slow enough that I can watch 2-3 hours of TV.  I've been thinking about getting a 2GB usb memory stick... but I've also been considering an Ipod Nano.  I could use it for multiple purposes:  playing music while at work, and downloading videos to, to connect to my laptop at work and watch on that. (I don't want to watch videos on the Ipod).

So will the Itunes software allow you to import your existing MP3 collection?  I have about 12-14GB of music (but don't want or need that much on my unit), and though most of it is ripped from CDs I own, I'd really rather not have to rip all that stuff again.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just need to import any downloaded songs into iTunes and you're set.

-d
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

AB

You COULD, but it depends on the length of the songs, it depends if you have music video's on it, pictures, etc..

Well I said iPod... so it doesn't play videos, etc. Only music. You can however store more than music on it, but it will only play music.

Albob: I currently have 4800 something songs on my ipod.

-d
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were discussing Shuffles, not iPods

-d
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Well I said iPod... so it doesn't play videos, etc. Only music.

Current iPods play both music and video.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

AB

Well I said iPod... so it doesn't play videos, etc. Only music. You can however store more than music on it, but it will only play music.

-d

Umm, only the Ipod Shuffle does not play videos. The Ipod and Ipod Nano both play music videos, TV shows, etc.. Current models anyway.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were discussing Shuffles, not iPods

-d

opps my bad,
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Nothing else on the market compares to the iPod.

+1 best thing out there right now, we have the 20 gb and my wife has 2,780 songs on it and we still have room for up to 5,000 (depending on the lenght of the songs)!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

AB

-d

Umm, only the Ipod Shuffle does not play videos. The Ipod and Ipod Nano both play music videos, TV shows, etc.. Current models anyway.

And I said iPod 20 gig models... which DO NOT play videos.

-d
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

AB

-d

And I said iPod 20 gig models... which DO NOT play videos.

-d

Oh, you have the "other generation".
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Out of a possible 10, I'd give mine a 9.5.
I prefer the musicmatch software over I-tunes, and while I'm sure there is a simple way to do it, I haven't figured out how to use it as a hard drive yet. Those are my only complaints.
I also use it with a cassette tape adapter in the car. I'm less than totally satisfied with the results, but it's not bad enough to make me want to upgrade.
If Apple computers are as good as this thing, my next computer might have a fruit on the lid.

I have one weird and scary glitch when installing I-tunes and loading songs and photos onto the Ipod: it made my external hard drive vanish. Slowly . The folders started appearing to be "empty" and then slowly went away altogether.
I finally remembered that it had asked me to reboot 3x, which I was thinking was a little odd. And that I had only rebooted TWO times.
One more reboot and everything was fine.

It's not totally perfect, but it's worth the extra bucks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

AB

-d

So how much time is involved in downloading 4800 songs?

AB
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#41]

So how much time is involved in downloading 4800 songs?

If you have a 1Mbps connection, that will take about 43 hours.  The problem is that it will take a lot longer than that to find 4,800 songs that you actually want.z
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#42]
IMO a better looking alternative to IPODs is the Creative MP3 players.
www.creative.com/products/mp3/

I own the Creative Zen Sleek

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:03:28 AM EDT
[#44]
I have the 1 gig Shuffle. This is the IPOD without a screen. I only use it for work and jogging. Work is riding a mower or running my Caterpillar. Jogging is 2 miles every day. I've had it since September of '05 and it works like a champ. Holds a bunch of songs. Sounds good. Durable, I've dropped it several times. It gets sweaty and wet with rain/drizzle. I think NOT having the screen is great for what I use it for.

The only thing I don't like about it is not being able to rewind or fast forward within a song. You can skip forwards and backwards entire songs though.

I'll probably end up with a NANO 4 gig.

My 1 gig Shuffle holds more music than I can listen to in a day. I don't see any need to carry around more than you can listen to in a solid week. Storage is nice but I'm not buying it to be a mass storage device, I'm buying an IPOD to be a "walkman".
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Creative Zen vision M > Ipod video

www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenvisionm/
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Seriously, there is a reason that they sell as well as the have.

They are the best hands down. Everything else out there right now is trying to ride on the Ipod wagon.

FYI  they just released a new 1gb nano, its $149

store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71406/wo/MoSLOf1bsAH53LdDRLm11aIKkfP/0.SLID?nclm=iPodx&mco=BA2DAC37

Check it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#48]

The only thing I don't like about it [iPod Shuffle] is not being able to rewind or fast forward within a song.

You can do that.  Just hold down the next or previous song button to fast forward or rewind.z
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have the 1 gig Shuffle. This is the IPOD without a screen. I only use it for work and jogging. Work is riding a mower or running my Caterpillar. Jogging is 2 miles every day. I've had it since September of '05 and it works like a champ. Holds a bunch of songs. Sounds good. Durable, I've dropped it several times. It gets sweaty and wet with rain/drizzle. I think NOT having the screen is great for what I use it for.

The only thing I don't like about it is not being able to rewind or fast forward within a song. You can skip forwards and backwards entire songs though.

I'll probably end up with a NANO 4 gig.

My 1 gig Shuffle holds more music than I can listen to in a day. I don't see any need to carry around more than you can listen to in a solid week. Storage is nice but I'm not buying it to be a mass storage device, I'm buying an IPOD to be a "walkman".

I have heard the 4 gig NANOs have issues.  Just too much for the flash.  I went two gig nano and have been very happy.  Wish the interface slot had a waterproof plug, though.

I'm not aware of any issues with X GBs being too big for Flash.  Probably a techie wive's tale.  There is some speculation laptops will some day have flashbased hard drives, but current Flash drives have a limited number of times they can be written.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top