BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nothing else on the market compares to the iPod.

+1 best thing out there right now, we have the 20 gb and my wife has 2,780 songs on it and we still have room for up to 5,000 (depending on the lenght of the songs)!

And you paid how much more additional @ $.99 for these songs??  It sounds a lot like owning a horse...the cheapest part is buying the horse!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have heard the 4 gig NANOs have issues.  Just too much for the flash.  I went two gig nano and have been very happy.  Wish the interface slot had a waterproof plug, though.

I have a 4gig Mini. I've never had a problem and I use it every day. So, that might have something to do with the Nano, not the flash size.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have the 1 gig Shuffle. This is the IPOD without a screen. I only use it for work and jogging. Work is riding a mower or running my Caterpillar. Jogging is 2 miles every day. I've had it since September of '05 and it works like a champ. Holds a bunch of songs. Sounds good. Durable, I've dropped it several times. It gets sweaty and wet with rain/drizzle. I think NOT having the screen is great for what I use it for.

The only thing I don't like about it is not being able to rewind or fast forward within a song. You can skip forwards and backwards entire songs though.

I'll probably end up with a NANO 4 gig.

My 1 gig Shuffle holds more music than I can listen to in a day. I don't see any need to carry around more than you can listen to in a solid week. Storage is nice but I'm not buying it to be a mass storage device, I'm buying an IPOD to be a "walkman".

I have heard the 4 gig NANOs have issues.  Just too much for the flash.  I went two gig nano and have been very happy.  Wish the interface slot had a waterproof plug, though.

I'm not aware of any issues with X GBs being too big for Flash.  Probably a techie wive's tale.  There is some speculation laptops will some day have flashbased hard drives, but current Flash drives have a limited number of times they can be written.

When I went to buy the Nano, I asked the salesman (best buy, btw) which I should get.  He told me people had been returning the 4 gig nanos for lock ups whereas he hadn't had any 2 gigs returned.
Hardly scientific, but it worked for me.  YMMV

That makes sense.  I held off on the nano because of the "scratching" rumors.  (This turned out to be not a big deal.)  I opted for the 30g video ipod, which has worked well for me.  Slim enough for your pocket, but huge capacity.  (Don't have much use for video, but it is cool on the subway.)  For the poster, I expect the Best Buy guy's experience doesn't reflect all the nanos being sold, but it's worth noting nonetheless.  I'm also addicted to Mac forums and RSS feeds, and I just haven't heard anything.  Not saying it couldn't be a possibility.  Out of curiousity, I'll ask a few Apple retail folks that I know will give me the straight story on what their experience has been with nano returns.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#5]
if you want tunes for less than Itunes.com charges, try allofmp3.com

Entire albums for a buck or so .... works well, depending on the type of music you like
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And you paid how much more additional @ $.99 for these songs??  It sounds a lot like owning a horse...the cheapest part is buying the horse!

My iPod is full of songs that I ripped from my own CDs.  No one says you HAVE to purchase songs from iTunes.  It handles regular old .mp3s just fine.

+1

Buying music -
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the 1 gig shuffle...

I have it full of over 240 songs and just play it on shuffle in the car with a cassette adapter.  I love this thing.  A display would be nice and I am thinking about getting the 2 gig nano at the new price, but I am not in any hurry.  The shuffle is so light you don't even know you have it on around your neck.

At the new price, I think they are a steal.

patsue
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#8]

I know that if you turn the volume up too loud, and hurt your ears, or they ring or something, you can file like a class action suit, and like sue apple for making a defective product and get RICHZORZ !  

Cuz, it's not like YOUR fault you don't know when to turn it down, of course !

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
We have two iPod's. I wired my truck for it and bought an extra cradle for it for my home theater. Both are 20 gig models. Love'em. I can take my music that I'm listening to at home, jump in the truck listening to the same stuff, then walk to class listening to the same stuff... then repeat but backwards on the way home.

-d

So you can store 5000 songs? 1 gig being 250.

AB

You COULD, but it depends on the length of the songs, it depends if you have music video's on it, pictures, etc..

Well I said iPod... so it doesn't play videos, etc. Only music. You can however store more than music on it, but it will only play music.

Albob: I currently have 4800 something songs on my ipod.

-d

So how much time is involved in downloading 4800 songs?

AB

I have quite a large Mp3 collection before I bought my iPod. Some songs are rips from my own cd's, friends cd's, limewire downloads, torrent downloads and just general downloads. I didn't put all my mp3's on my iPod either... some stuff I just left on the hard drive.

-d
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I know that if you turn the volume up too loud, and hurt your ears, or they ring or something, you can file like a class action suit, and like sue apple for making a defective product and get RICHZORZ !  

Cuz, it's not like YOUR fault you don't know when to turn it down, of course !

That is like that guy who sued McDonalds, "You made me fat!", no you freaking ate too much! The guy that is sueing Apple will get nothing.. watch, you'll see.

-d
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1
You will wonder how you ever got along without one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I've decided... I'm gonna get an Ipod Nano.  I'll probably wait a couple weeks for my big paycheck, and then order a 4GB unit.  Should  work great for what I want to use it for.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#13]
My 60gb iPod is full.  I ripped all my CDs at 320k and put everything I own on it.  According to iTunes, I can play it for 35 days straight without repeating a single thing.  I'll sell it as soon as they come out with a 100gb version.

It's great for those long cross country trips when you can't get a radio station and don't want to flip through the same 5 CDs repeatedly.  I like putting audio books on there and playing through the car stereo - makes 5 hours go by pretty quickly.

ETA:  I was going to buy some songs on the iTunes website, but they are only 128k AAC, and I really don't like anything less than 192k.  The higher quality takes up more space, but it took me days to rip all my music and I really don't want to do it again, so I went with the best quality up front.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#14]
When you guys put audio books on the ipods, are you just ripping them from cd's or is there a downloadable source for those now as well?

ETA: Not an intentional effort at a hijack, there is just some really good info here and I am looking to get an ipod as well.  Sorry if I stepped on your toes VG.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#15]
tagged
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Somehow, I'm not getting it.  OK, you save all of your music to this thing.  With the CD changer in my car, I loaded up on extra cartridges but found that I only used one cartridge because I got bored with the old music on the others.  What's the attraction if you buy CD's to rip or buy music?  So you can have 100 songs???  You tend to have a narrow selection of fav's at any given time anyway.  Is it just in knowing that you can if you want to?  Even if you realistically won't listen to them anyway??  BTW, I understand that the music quality isn't really as good as the original.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Somehow, I'm not getting it.  OK, you save all of your music to this thing.  With the CD changer in my car, I loaded up on extra cartridges but found that I only used one cartridge because I got bored with the old music on the others.  What's the attraction if you buy CD's to rip or buy music?  So you can have 100 songs???  You tend to have a narrow selection of fav's at any given time anyway.  Is it just in knowing that you can if you want to?  Even if you realistically won't listen to them anyway??  BTW, I understand that the music quality isn't really as good as the original.

You can play your songs at random.  If I'm out on my bike, it picks one of my 3,000 or so songs at random.  You can also arrange playlists of songs fitting certain activities.  Even with the smaller capacity iPods, you can set the device to rotate the music automatically rather shuffling through CDs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Tax Monster, I hear what you're saying about quality.  I wouldn't pay to download any tracks at less than 256kbps.  I was ripping some of my CDs in 320kbps, but decided 256kbps was fine for my ears.  I can tell a difference between 128 and 256, but not really between 256 and 320...  

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I have an iPod (gift from boss), and an iRiver. I hate the iTunes software. I cannot use the iPod as an external drive. The battery life is less than the iRiver. The iPod has fewer features, but still costs more.  

The only time I listen to my iPod is when my iRiver battery runs dead on LONG intercontinental flights like the one I will be on in a few hours. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1

I had one, the 20 gig model, got it free from a vendor, moved over a few thousand songs to it. Tried it out in my car (hard wired) and the quality difference between it and cds was enough for me to not want to use it my car (cds sound better). Gave it to the wife, she likes it and I'm back to carrying around the few cds that I actually listen to these days.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I have all of my music organized into categories, so depending on my mood I pick a playlist and start playing.. if I want to listen to a certain song titel or artist, I can select it if I want it. CD changers are going to be on their way out. With a changer, you don't have an interactive list of all of the songs you have loaded in the changer... and say you have a 12 disc changer, with 15 songs on a cd... that is only 180 songs... want something different and you have to change our a cd or a cartridge.. doesn't sound like fun to me. A few flicks of the finger and I can select whatever I want to listen to without a problem.

As far as quality, I have a high end sound system in my truck.. and I really can't tell of that big of a difference between the CD's and the mp3's. Minimal at best.

-d
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I have an iPod (gift from boss), and an iRiver. I hate the iTunes software. I cannot use the iPod as an external drive. The battery life is less than the iRiver. The iPod has fewer features, but still costs more.  

The only time I listen to my iPod is when my iRiver battery runs dead on LONG intercontinental flights like the one I will be on in a few hours. YMMV

Then use MusicMatch (I perfer iTunes myself). Use iTunes to put the songs on the iPod, and that is it. Use Winamp to play the mp3's that are on my pc. As far as the external drive with the iPod, I don't know what your problem was, but both of mine have worked from the start as an additional drive on the pc.

I actually used my iPod during my last trip to Alaska as a digital photo storage device. Keeping in mind that I don't have a photo iPod, I bought a device that read my 4 GB microdrive, and would copy all of the images from it to my iPod... great little product.

-d
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Then use MusicMatch (I perfer iTunes myself). Use iTunes to put the songs on the iPod, and that is it. Use Winamp to play the mp3's that are on my pc. As far as the external drive with the iPod, I don't know what your problem was, but both of mine have worked from the start as an additional drive on the pc.

I actually used my iPod during my last trip to Alaska as a digital photo storage device. Keeping in mind that I don't have a photo iPod, I bought a device that read my 4 GB microdrive, and would copy all of the images from it to my iPod... great little product.

-d

Glad you like your iPod. I find then overpriced and under-featured.

BTW what other portable music players have you had experience with? My iPod is one of three I own, and I like it far less than either of the other two. YMMV.

Now, I have to go catch the 15+ hour Hong Kong to Chicago flight. If my iRiver battery dies before the flight ends, I may actually use my iPod for an hour or two.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

-d

Glad you like your iPod. I find then overpriced and under-featured.

BTW what other portable music players have you had experience with? My iPod is one of three I own, and I like it far less than either of the other two. YMMV.

Now, I have to go catch the 15+ hour Hong Kong to Chicago flight. If my iRiver battery dies before the flight ends, I may actually use my iPod for an hour or two.

What does your iRiver do that the iPod can't? I've used portable players by Creative, Dell, iRiver and Sony. I'd still take my iPod over any of those.

-d
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:58:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, I did it. I bought the IPOD nano 2Gig. Should be here the day before Valentines. For the cash I spent on her, there better be extra this year.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:14:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Here's something I learned about running the Ipod through the car radio.  The best product for this is made by Monster and charges the Ipod as it runs the audio through an unused FM station.  I have bought and tried several of these things, and the Monster version is hands-down the best.  Costs the most, too, but this is no surprize.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Well, I did it. I bought the IPOD nano 2Gig. Should be here the day before Valentines. For the cash I spent on her, there better be extra this year.

Huh! I just bought my wife a new car and all I got was a promissory note suitable for wiping my ass. But hey, I'm not bitter. Good luck to you!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:50:00 AM EDT
[#30]
you ipod users are nothing but herd followers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:58:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

AHA!

Thats why I bought a Creative Zen Sleek!

Go drink your Koolaid you dirty communists....
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Here's something I learned about running the Ipod through the car radio.  The best product for this is made by Monster and charges the Ipod as it runs the audio through an unused FM station.  I have bought and tried several of these things, and the Monster version is hands-down the best.  Costs the most, too, but this is no surprize.

Looks like I can get it for 54.00, is that a good deal?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Personally for me if the Ipod had a built in FM tuner I would buy one.  But they don't you have to add the tuner, kinda defeats the purpose of the idea to me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Got one better than that... But these two products...

from Belkin...

Run the RCA's to your stereo's AUX input, run the mini-plug to the side of the charger... hardwire the charger to a fused power source... then hide all of that, and only have the connector for the ipod sticking out somewhere where you can hook up your ipod. That is how I did it... clean, no cables showing except for the small connector and it sounds a hell of  a lot better than any AM or FM modulator.

-d
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and you folks who feel the need to bash anything that you don't like... and anybody who does like it... are chronic whiners who need to turn off the computer and get a life.

If Ipod is not to your liking, don't buy one.  Isn't America great?

+1

-d
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/5561/5561135_sa.jpg
images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/6211/6211743_sa.jpg from Belkin...

Run the RCA's to your stereo's AUX input, run the mini-plug to the side of the charger... hardwire the charger to a fused power source... then hide all of that, and only have the connector for the ipod sticking out somewhere where you can hook up your ipod. That is how I did it... clean, no cables showing except for the small connector and it sounds a hell of  a lot better than any AM or FM modulator.

-d

...and I dont have to luisten to your tunes
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/5561/5561135_sa.jpg
images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/6211/6211743_sa.jpg from Belkin...

-d

...and I dont have to luisten to your tunes

-huh?

-d
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Personally for me if the Ipod had a built in FM tuner I would buy one.  But they don't you have to add the tuner, kinda defeats the purpose of the idea to me.

The creative zen vision:M has a built in tuner and recorder

Link
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Wallyworld has the Shuffle for 66.99

Quoted:
Awesome. I have the Nano and the Shuffle. The 512mb(120 songs) Shuffle is only $99 and the 1Gb(250 songs) Shuffle is about $130.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and you folks who feel the need to bash anything that you don't like... and anybody who does like it... are chronic whiners who need to turn off the computer and get a life.

+1

No kidding, get a life.

You shouldnt fault someone for wanting the best that money can buy.  But I suppose you can, because there will sill be HK and Colt bashers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Being broke's a bitch, huh.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

No kidding, get a life.

You shouldnt fault someone for wanting the best that money can buy.  But I suppose you can, because there will sill be HK and Colt bashers.

But the Ipod isn't the best player out there...Just the best marketed
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#46]
I picked up a 4GB Ipod Nano today, and I'm messing with it here at work.  It's HELLA COOL!  I copied some MP3s off of a CD to my laptop, then transferred to the Ipod.  It was slow, but my laptop only has USB 1.1.  The touchpad function of the buttons is nice, menu navigation is easy... and it's got lots of cool extras.   I think this little unit will do what I need it to do!  

... now to find some accessories... need to get a docking station thing and an extra cable or two.

As for the tape and radio adapters in cars, even head units with Line In jacks:  Most will sound pretty poor compared to CDs, if you connect the audio to the headphone jack of your Ipod/MP3 player.  What you want to find is something that uses the Line Out from the player, as it will be an unboosted, clean signal.  Most of the time, the headphone jack output is amplified, which causes the output to the head unit or FM transmitter to clip, making it sound like shit.  

With Ipod being so popular, many headunits should actually interface with the device, and actually read the song files from it, stream the data, and then play it as if it were reading a CD.  Someday, I'll try to find a headunit that interfaces like that.  Should sound great!  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
As for the tape and radio adapters in cars, even head units with Line In jacks:  Most will sound pretty poor compared to CDs, if you connect the audio to the headphone jack of your Ipod/MP3 player.  What you want to find is something that uses the Line Out from the player, as it will be an unboosted, clean signal.  Most of the time, the headphone jack output is amplified, which causes the output to the head unit or FM transmitter to clip, making it sound like shit.  

With Ipod being so popular, many headunits should actually interface with the device, and actually read the song files from it, stream the data, and then play it as if it were reading a CD.  Someday, I'll try to find a headunit that interfaces like that.  Should sound great!  

The Belkin adapter I showed above uses the the actual line out not the headphones. Sounds a lot better.

-d
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top