Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Why do people dry fire when they have live ammo laying close.  Last case I heard like this the dumass blew a hole in his hand.  Happend about a year ago.  The guy was a "breakin' in his mags" playin' with his gun and just pulled the trigger ''without thinkin' about it".  He was a big overenthusiastic "new expert" poster over at HS2000 and XD forums.  He posted all about his incident including how his young daughter barfed in the living room at the sight of his bloody stump.  He even posted pics of his now mangled hand after surgery.  Funny.  He hasn't posted much since.  

People like this are stupid and make it harder for us to own guns.  

read it here and weep:
www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=19516&highlight=
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#2]
tag for pics.  The only tv i've ever killed was on purpose with a FA 1919.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I often dry fire my pistol while im watching TV.   So tonight Ive been sitting here relaxing, watching comedy central and dry firing my Sigma getting used to the trigger.  Got up and got something to drink.  I come back and sat down, dog jumps in my lap, and I squeeze one off at John Stewart on the daily show.

BOOM!  I got em ...............

I apparently loaded the pistol before i grabbed a drink not even thinking about it.  Scared the shit out of me!   No one hurt, im the only one here.   Just one very scared dog and an important saftey lesson learned.   How embarrasing

Interesting though, It was a .40 S&W Sigma.  It didnt penetrate the TV.  Copper Jacket got scattered all over the room, but no "exit wound" on the back.  Im about to go digging for the bullet.  Maybe pics when i find it..   Camera needs to be charged.  

WTF Dude! (or should I say Elvis)
Need I say .. This thread is worthless without pics
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#4]

This thread is worthless without pics.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#5]
In in on page 3 of this bitch!

There is a 22lr under the carpet somewhere here in the living room.  Thats all I'm saying.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why do people dry fire when they have live ammo laying close.  Last case I heard like this the dumass blew a hole in his hand.  Happend about a year ago.  The guy was a "breakin' in his mags" playin' with his gun and just pulled the trigger ''without thinkin' about it".  He was a big overenthusiastic "new expert" poster over at HS2000 and XD forums.  He posted all about his incident including how his young daughter barfed in the living room at the sight of his bloody stump.  He even posted pics of his now mangled hand after surgery.  Funny.  He hasn't posted much since.  

People like this are stupid and make it harder for us to own guns.  

I dry fire all the time with the ammo right beside me... I own 3 mags, and there all sitting on the desk right beside me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This thread is worthless without pics.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag for the picts.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Pics.

fianlly someone did it.

I shot one before but it was at the range the M44 won
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#11]
tag for pics.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#12]
reminds me of that simpsons episode....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#13]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/philwhaz/Picture002.jpg

Nothing agianst Mr. Stewart of course.  

My camera sucks..  and my backup Tv is like 10"  hinking.gif

Well, Important lesson learned..  that will NEVER happen agian.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I suppose in the future the term "the gun is ALWAYS loaded unless you have just fully cleared it" will mean something to you.  You'll also understand why that rule resets every time you set the gun down.

At least you aren't the dumbass from HS2000 that killed his dog doing that.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#15]
C'mon it's been 20 minutes already!  There's enough juice in the cam for pics by now!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Accidents like that can happen to anyone, and if you think it can’t happen to you it’ll happen real soon.

It’s never happened to me (at least not with a firearm but I go some real good stories about sword mishaps.) but that doesn’t mean it won’t sometime.

No one was hurt so consider yourself lucky, learn your lesson, and don’t feel too bad about it.

Oh, and the transformers in TVs charge up capacitors up to something like 30K volts or so I believe. They can hold a charge for days in some cases. Be really careful not to fry yourself.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn, I bet that's a mistake you won't make again for a very long time.

Remember, guns are always loaded.  Even if you do prative dry firing, do it aiming at something that you wouldn't mind shooting, and in a safe direction too.

Do you live in a house or Apartment?
In City Limits or not?

Also, where at in MO?  I got family in Springfield.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/philwhaz/Picture002.jpg

My camera sucks..  and my backup Tv is like 10"  

I see you left the silde back.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well, that's one way to learn.  Better to be posting a pic of your busted tv than your half-missing left hand.

ETA: prepare to be arrested.  Put the gun away so the cops don't think you're a threat.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#20]
sweet
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too bad he couldn't do that in between drink runs to the kitchen
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Are your ears still ringing?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My camera sucks..  and my backup Tv is like 10"  hinking.gif

Well, that's one way to learn.  Better to be posting a pic of your busted tv than your half-missing left hand.

ETA: prepare to be arrested.  Put the gun away so the cops don't think you're a threat.

I live in the sticks, the closest neighbor is about 1/2 mile away.  So I dont think thats going to be an   issue.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#25]
You should try to return the TV to wal mart or wherever as a joke!  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice COM shot.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#28]
it's coming right towards us!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I live in the sticks, the closest neighbor is about 1/2 mile away.  So I dont think thats going to be an   issue.

Well, that's fortunate.  Glad nobody got hurt.

Hey, you always wanted that HD big screen, right?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Nothing against Mr. Stewart of course.  

So should we all kick in 5 bucks to help him get a new TV?

I mean come on he had the balls to admit and post pics!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Id do it
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell no.. if the lesson doesn't hurt physically, it should at least hurt financially
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why reward negligence?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Are you sure you weren't watching "The Ring," and are too embarassed to tell us?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Accidents like that can happen to anyone, and if you think it can’t happen to you it’ll happen real soon.

It’s never happened to me (at least not with a firearm but I go some real good stories about sword mishaps.) but that doesn’t mean it won’t sometime.

No one was hurt so consider yourself lucky, learn your lesson, and don’t feel too bad about it.

Oh, and the transformers in TVs charge up capacitors up to something like 30K volts or so I believe. They can hold a charge for days in some cases. Be really careful not to fry yourself.

"Shit happens" is not the mantra of safe firearms use.  I assume the backstop behind the TV was something bullet-proof, or a direction where no people would possibly be?  If not then the only reason something tradgic didn't happen is because luck was on his side tonight, not because he was being safe in the least.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Are you sure you weren't watching "Will & Grace" reruns and are too embarassed to tell us?

Fixt.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, that's fortunate.  Glad nobody got hurt.

Hey, you always wanted that HD big screen, right?

Yes it is.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Where are you?  You should be standing over that thing with gun in hand, trophy style

Are you going to take it to the taxidermist?  Or just mount it to the wall as is?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#39]
muscle memory.... my dept. always teaches that you set the gun down for at least 15 min. after practicing with an empty weapon... I learned the hard way too.  40 s&w through one wall (2 pieces of sheet rock) and loged into solid wood bathroom door (thank god) or I would have been cleaning up a bathroom mirror.  No one at home but me at the time. I unloaded the gun and sat on the front poarch and waited for the cops.  None arrived...  except for my father in law for dinner about 10 minutes later who at the time worked for the same Sheriff's Office I do.  He was also one of our firearms instructors at the time (he is now retired).  Luckily I cleaned up the sheet rock dust and strategicly hug a calander behind the door and a bathrobe on the door before anyone noticed.  My wife was not happy when I told her what happened.  Live and learn.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll be sure not to mess with it for a few days then.  I wasnt aware they could hold a charge for that long.  I unplugged it and rolled it off in the floor right after I cleared and checked the pistol..  three times.  

I'll let it sit out in the garage for a week or so before I mess with it.  Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#41]
WTF dude! When you are dryfiring, keep ammo away, don't have it in or near the gun. Plus, if the slide is down and you have walked away, you need to check it again, I think Chuck Noris slipped a round in there, because Stewart refuses to run his total gym ads during the daily show.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#42]
So are you gonna get rid of it and tell the wife it went out and now you have to buy a new one?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I had a guy shoot the TV right in front of me at a party.  
I was watching the TV just a couple feet away, however I was fairly close to the path of the bullet.  I calmly got up …walked over to the guy (who was crying about how he killed the TV)…and promptly punched him in the mouth

FWIW The bullet blew the TV up, went out the back (cut the power cord not that that mattered at this point ) and went into the wall.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Do it!     Tell them that you are "not satisfied" after all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Are your ears still ringing?

+1

Would you mind discussing the effects it had on your hearing? It's relatively rare to have the opportunity for someone here able to give first-hand accounts on the auditory effects of handgun discharges indoors w/out hearing protection.

Might as well get some useful info out of your mistake.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Same as when you go hunting.  Adrenaline helps a lot.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#47]
If your dog could talk, what would he say to you?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Are you sure you weren't watching "The Ring," and are too embarassed to tell us?

you can tell he wasn't by the single hole
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Take a better pic and make it your avatar.

I check the chamber three times in good light prior to dry firing at a safe object.  If I leave the room or if the gun leaves my hand or my sight, I check it again.  

I admit, it is much better to get to the range more often and forget the dry firing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
So are you gonna get rid of it and tell the wife it went out and now you have to buy a new one?

No wife atm, I'll probably make do with the tiny one I have thats still working and drag this one out to the burn pile after I dig the bullet out.   Im pretty suprised I didn't have a hole in the wall behind it as well.   If the insides of this thing are that tough I'm probably lucky it stayed in there and didnt come back out at me.  

ETA:  I think I'm done dry firing indoors..  or at all for that matter.  And dog is pretty pissed,  I would have gotten her in the pic but shes still hiding in the corner.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top