Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/8/2006 5:52:39 PM EDT
My Mom sent me this, via my older brother. Now my older brother is a moonbat whacko, but my mom is pretty much a conservative. I was wondering if anyone had info about this issue...

"Bush's new budget ends social security benefits for survivors aged 16-18. [my little brother] is supposed to get $1,400 a month until his 19th birthday. Now, I believe the Bush critics about reducing taxes on the rich and taking benefits from widows and orphans to pay for it. If it passes, I will have to completely rework my retirement/college plans."

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:55:38 PM EDT
It's a good start, too bad nobody has the balls to cut it off completly.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:59:48 PM EDT
I don't believe it, typical scare tactic
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:00:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
I don't believe it, typical scare tactic

That's what I thought, but I havn't seen any news about it either way.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:02:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stove_Pipe:

Yeah nothing better than stealing it from people all their lives and then telling them to "fuck off". That's a glorious plan right there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:09:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:09:58 PM EDT
The President doesn't really spend money. His budget is a recommendation.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:11:15 PM EDT
I don't think any govt. program has ever actually been cut.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:14:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Grunteled:

Yeah nothing better than stealing it from people all their lives and then telling them to "fuck off". That's a glorious plan right there.

It's already gone. It is stolen. It has departed. Think of it as income tax redux. Best thing for it is to cut it down and out before it does more damange, not that any politician will admit that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:17:32 PM EDT
I believe the new budget calls for cuts in Medicare (or Medicaid - I can never tell those two apart) - but I don't think S.S.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:19:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/8/2006 6:19:38 PM EDT by arfreak74]

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
I believe the new budget calls for cuts in Medicare (or Medicaid - I can never tell those two apart) - but I don't think S.S.

cuts in the rate of growth.

I don't think federally spending on any program is EVER REDUCED
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:20:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By arfreak74:

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

cuts in the rate of growth.

I don't think federally spending on any program is EVER REDUCED

Right - and it's unlikely that part of the budget would make it past Congress anyway, since NOBODY wants to be on the record voting for anything with the word "cut" in it when it comes to things like Medicare/medicaid or social security

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:22:01 PM EDT
SS was started at a time when the life expectancy was in the high 50s. It was a feel-good measure that would never be used. As healthcare improved in the US, people came to depend on this entitlement program instead of dilligently preparing for the future.

The program was broadened over the years. For decades, doctors were not charged the taxes since they would be capable of providing for their own retirements. When the law was changed to allow doctors to be eligible, a physician about to retire could draw on the system as if they had paid in for a full career. The administrators never saw the pitfalls that awaited because so many people were paying into the system.

The system has to be cut. It cannot be sustained without a huge increase in taxes or a huge shrinking of benefits. Some cuts have to be made. It should be phased out for younger people. Then, no one would be expecting it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:36:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/8/2006 6:48:54 PM EDT by GoVol98]
According to what I remember reading the article yesterday, 16-18y.o. survivor's benifits will be tied with staying in school, like it is with 19y.o.'s ....If you drop out, no $$$ for you.

But the poke in the eye was the ending of the $255 one time death benefit paid to survivors. Sure, that will hardly buy a casket spray now...where as back when it was started, would at least pay for some dirt thrown on you.

$255 is lousy deal, considering the Thousand's you paid into the system, but if you die and your spouse hasn't reached age 56, and their are no kids involved....that's all they're friggin gettin. Now they even want to take away that pittance.

Personally , I wish they'd just scrap the whole SSI thing anyways. You could do 10X better picking a mutual fund with a blindfold, a page of the WSJ , and a dart.

(edited to add: And all the money would be YOURS , to do with as you please...use it for retirement or leave it to your family... or start an endowment fund to give away free stripped lowers.)
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:38:42 PM EDT
DK--

Medicaid = Poor People

Medicare = Old People.

Ask a Doctor how bad Medicaid is now (try $15 for an office visit that even Medicare pays $40+ for).

At least with Medicare, the recipients paid something into the system. With Medicare (welfare basically), it is another handout...and it is grossly abused--try ER visits for colds, etc.

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:39:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GoVol98:

Personally , I wish they'd just scrap the whole SSI thing anyways. You could do 10X better picking a mutual fund with a blindfold, a page of the WSJ , and a dart.

So true!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:40:34 PM EDT
Medicare= Money for old people
Medicaide= Money for poor people

I predict an increase in crimes committed by the elderly in our future. As health care increases the quality and length of life for our citizens I forsee a day when gangs of octagenarians roam the streets selling drugs, and raising hell in overly congested urban areas.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:41:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:42:06 PM EDT
SS is not suppose to be welfare... if true it is not a cut, but a correction. Yes you should rework your retirement plan and college as well... be a man an earn it yourself.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:46:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR-180:

So true!

+1000000

Its called planning for your future.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:46:54 PM EDT
Yup, for those who drop out of school and scrounge on taxpayers until they are 19.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:48:04 PM EDT
Hell, IDDoc:

I have a plan--trying to get someone in congress to listen.

Anyone over 65 can opt out of Social Security...then they are allowed free reign to grow whatever Marijuana they want. Legally. They can sell it, again legally in small batches. They can keep the income without declaring it for taxes.

However, they cannot touch Social Security at all.

I figure about 90% of the seniors will go for the plan...hell, most of them are expert gardeners anyway.

And (to think of everything)...how do you tell if the stuff you purchase is legal?

It is assumed to be legal if it is packaged in cut-up Depends.

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:03:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AFARR:
DK--

Medicaid = Poor People

Medicare = Old People.

Thanks!

I'll have forgotten it already 10 minutes from now
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:13:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By alaman:
Yup, for those who drop out of school and scrounge on taxpayers until they are 19.

ah ok, that's what I thought. As usual, my libnut older bro has misconstrued the issue.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:35:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2006 10:14:49 PM EDT by W_smith]

Originally Posted By alaman:

it's called a SURVIVOR's benefit you moron, if the kids parent(s) die while he's still
a minor he's entitled to a percentage of what they paid in to SS

when you croak your spouse will have the same benefit or if you & your spouse croak
then your kids would get the benefit too

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:37:35 PM EDT

+1

Entitlements will be the downfall of the Federal Budget/ U.S. Economy in the not too distant future.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:47:18 PM EDT
Social Security is a cancer. If not cut out it will kill us eventually. And the longer we wait, the more damage it will do.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:09:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bulldog1967:

+1

Entitlements will be the downfall of the Federal Budget/ U.S. Economy in the not too distant future.

I'd be all for killing SS, but I want my money BACK! Since 1996 I've paid in about $40,000. My employers over that time have also contributed $40,000 on my behalf into it. So give me back my $40,000, and give the companies back their $40,000, and we'll call it good.

It's not entitlement until I get my money back! At the current rate, I've got another 22 years until I retire (Age 56), and I'm probably looking at "contributing" another $132,000 during that time.... My financial planner thinks I'll still get something from SS, but I doubt it. So kiss $172,000 goodbye....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:46:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Scollins:

I'd be all for killing SS, but I want my money BACK! Since 1996 I've paid in about $40,000. My employers over that time have also contributed $40,000 on my behalf into it. So give me back my $40,000, and give the companies back their $40,000, and we'll call it good.

It's not entitlement until I get my money back! At the current rate, I've got another 22 years until I retire (Age 56), and I'm probably looking at "contributing" another $132,000 during that time.... My financial planner thinks I'll still get something from SS, but I doubt it. So kiss $172,000 goodbye....

Got some bad news for ya about that $40,000....you've actually paid the full $80,000.
Companies factor in SS in the cost of hiring you. All they did was withhold $40k from what they allotted to pay you in wages, and transfer it to the govt. Hence, "the company" really didn't pay a dime on your SS.....YOU DID.
So, just double your figures.....sorry.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:51:19 PM EDT

Got some bad news for ya about that $40,000....you've actually paid the full $80,000.
Companies factor in SS in the cost of hiring you. All they did was withhold $40k from what they allotted to pay you in wages, and transfer it to the govt. Hence, "the company" really didn't pay a dime on your SS.....YOU DID.
So, just double your figures.....sorry.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:55:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/8/2006 10:56:13 PM EDT by SciFiNut]
Well, heck, I'm sure he's responsible...
After all, he single handedly wiped out the carrier pidgeon, cause global warming, clubs baby seals, raises nothing but veal calfs on his ranch (and pokes them with sticks while they can't move in their stalls) shoots Bald Eagles for fun, spikes the press pool punch with DDT, and ghost wrote the Muhammad Cartoons for a Danish newspaper.

ETA: Did I mention he's reading this now, and heard you last cellphone call?
Top Top