Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/8/2006 5:18:42 PM EDT
Here is the deal. I live in NJ. I am almost twenty and live home with my folks. I was planning on moving out on the state at the end of the year. I was planning on moving to the DFW area in texas. Now i am starting to think i should move asap.

I run my own landscape/construction company. If i sell off excess equipment i will not need in DFW i can move with 30k. If i wait a year i can move with 50k extra. The thing is, if i stay in jersey this year, i will be spending around 6k in advertising. I feel that if i make the move to DFW and spend that much on advertising i could do almost as well as i would do here.

What the hell should i do? This is the biggest choice i ever had to make. I feel like if i stay in nj another year, i am just putting more time and effort into a business that i am going to walk a way from. Deep down inside i feel i am better off cutting my jersey ties and moving. Its just a tough choice moving away from all my family and friends. I never been furthur from my home then Pennsylvania.

I could be living in a free state in a matter of weeks.
Matt
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:22:15 PM EDT
Subtract the number of years you have been living from 20. That is the time you should have left New Jersey.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:22:23 PM EDT
To me, it seems like you already determined to move, but the question is "when".

Why put it off.

Move!

The sooner you start the sooner the roots will take place and your career can start to grow.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:28:04 PM EDT
You will quickly make back the money you might lose by moving early once you get to Texas.
NJ has horrible taxes, as I'm sure you are aware of.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:08:33 PM EDT
Have you posted anything about move in TX homeforum?

You might try to hookup with some of the Dallas Crew and fly out for a week or so to do a little recon/get a feel for the place before making any decisions...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:14:47 PM EDT
my ? is will an american owned lanscaping business, be able to survive with all of the illegals down there
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:28:34 PM EDT
Move. Sooner the better
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:31:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By scotty1911:
my ? is will an american owned lanscaping business, be able to survive with all of the illegals down there

I was thinking the same thing. He's not going to be able to compete with the low wage illegals. Unless he hires a lot of them to do the work.

Then he'd be a traitor to the US. Just like a lot of people are.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:35:13 PM EDT
Jersey? not good. DFW? very good.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:05:52 PM EDT
I'm in the same boat, but I'm frantically sending out resumes to get out.

Any ARfcommers in a free state have need for a gunnut with a BS in Technical business management :)
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:30:01 PM EDT
Some more food for thought. There is no state income tax in Texas, but real property taxes are pretty high. Still, it has got to be better than the Communist haven you now live in with that asshole Corzine as governor.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:46:51 PM EDT
GET OUT NOW I to have gone thru this as I have spent the last year looking at houses in AZ as soon as I find one that meets the little criteria I have im outta NY for good
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:24:11 AM EDT
You haven't left yet?

Not smart.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:30:30 AM EDT
Just get out,dont give the commys any more money.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:31:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By scotty1911:

Depends on whether or not you're running solo, or trying to hire a bunch of employees. Landscapers don't charge less because they are hiring illegals.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:05:11 AM EDT
Go west young man...

Cut your ties while your are still young..heck you are not even old enough to drink...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:10:58 AM EDT
If every gun owner in NY and NJ went to PA it would would keep PA competitive. NY and NJ are lost causes. Wasted pro-gun votes.
Top Top