Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2006 2:34:24 PM EDT
I'm looking for a new doctor. Been 8 years since my last full blown physical and that was when I lived in another part of the state. No known health issues (except getting older and slower). No wife, no kids. Just me.

So I'm checking around near where I live and I keep getting asked, "Do you want Family Practice or Internal Medicine?"

How the heck should I know? I just want a new doctor. What's the difference?

What say ye?

ETA: I'm 49. Would that make a difference?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm looking for a new doctor. Been 8 years since my last full blown physical and that was when I lived in another part of the state. No known health issues (except getting older and slower). No wife, no kids. Just me.

So I'm checking around near where I live and I keep getting asked, "Do you want Family Practice or Internal Medicine?"

How the heck should I know? I just want a new doctor. What's the difference?

What say ye?

there isn't too much difference, IM tend to take on sicker pts than family med and family med tend to be tackle more common, everyday problems.  so in the end, which ever doc you get along with best.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Internal Medicine, just go to one of them.  Only real difference with Family Medicine is that they treat kids and old people more.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Internal Medicine, just go to one of them.  Only real difference with Family Medicine is that they treat kids and old people more.

At 49, that wouldn't include me would it?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#4]
In Family med we try to focus a lot on PREVENTIVE medicine.   Honestly though, I have noticed a lot of the IM guys tend to do OK in picking up things that need to be screened for according to the USPTFS (preventive task force).  I agree, it probably doesn't matter too much, unless you have kids you want to get seen at the same time,....and want to have your wife deliver a baby with the same doctor.....then Family med is for you.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top