Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/8/2006 12:24:43 PM EDT
Raytheon's Quick Kill Achieves a First; Decimates 'Enemy' RPG in Test with Precision Launched Munition

MCKINNEY, Texas, Feb. 8, 2006 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Raytheon Company's
new Quick Kill System is the first active protection system (APS) to destroy a
rocket propelled grenade (RPG) at close range, using a precision launched
warhead with a focused blast. The successful test occurred at a New Mexico
Institute of Mining and Technology test center Feb. 7, 2006.

Quick Kill is a new "hit avoidance" system designed by Raytheon to protect
combat vehicles and their warfighters from enemy fire. It destroys enemy
weapons with speed, surgical accuracy and minimal collateral damage. The
system is capable of instantly engaging projectiles fired from any location
around or above the vehicle.

The test featured an RPG launched at close range, simulating an engagement
of a Stryker combat vehicle equipped with Raytheon's Quick Kill system. The
Quick Kill's active electronically scanned array radar detected and tracked
the RPG and -- after computing its speed, trajectory and intercept point --
cued the precision-launched weapon to counterattack and destroy the RPG with
its focused blast warhead. The weapon performed a vertical "soft launch,"
pitched over, accelerated to the point of intercept, fired its warhead and
destroyed the RPG in mid-air. All of this occurred in the proverbial blink of
an eye.

Raytheon's approach to this technological breakthrough is equivalent to
firing a weapon around a corner and hitting another weapon, while both speed
through the air at hundreds of meters per second. Raytheon is the first
company to develop and then prove this concept of engagement by successfully
intercepting an RPG at close range.

"Quick Kill's speed, precision and effectiveness are truly amazing," said
Glynn Raymer, vice president of Raytheon Combat Systems. "It offers our
current force warfighters a level of battlefield protection that no one has
ever seen before."

"We wanted to prove the APS technology as quickly as possible and
accelerate its fielding to warfighters," said Johnny Garrett, director of
Raytheon Integrated Systems. "Using our own money, Raytheon took Quick Kill
from concept to reality in fewer than six months."

Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN), with 2005 sales of $21.9 billion, is an
industry leader in defense and government electronics, space, information
technology, technical services, and business and special mission aircraft.
With headquarters in Waltham, Mass., Raytheon employs 80,000 people worldwide.

Notes to editors:

* Quick Kill's end-to-end testing occurred at the Energetic Materials
Research and Testing Center, at New Mexico Institute of Mining and
Technology near Socorro, N.M.

* "Soft launch" is a technique in which a weapon -- in this case a small
missile -- launches vertically from the combat vehicle, pitches over,
is propelled by its rocket motor and then fires its weapon. The radar
system sends threat track data to the weapon and enables surgically
precise target destruction. A soft launch eliminates concussion of the
vehicle and the troops inside it.

* RPGs are a major threat to U.S. troops and vehicles in Iraq and
Afghanistan; Quick Kill's active protection addresses the problem. Its
modular design facilitates installation on current U.S. Army platforms
such as Stryker Brigade Combat Team vehicles and on future Army
vehicles.

SOURCE Raytheon Company

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:29:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/8/2006 12:31:17 PM EDT by ArmedAggie]
Good luck to any dismounted troopers nearby.

I suspect there will be an armed and a safe mode of operation to accomodate dismounted troops. Again, good luck to any who may be among them.

I am glad to see this and I hope someone has worked out those details.

ETA: Now let's expand it so that in that same split second it back-calculates the shooter's position and launches a second weapon to obliterate said position.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:33:06 PM EDT
That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:34:27 PM EDT

That's pretty impressive when you really think about it.

I mean, how long is an RPG round actually IN flight ? A few seconds ??

Fascinating stuff.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:35:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
That's pretty really f-n cool.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:35:47 PM EDT
All I want to know is can it be mounted onto our helicopters?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:36:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/8/2006 12:36:22 PM EDT by mjohn3006]

Originally Posted By ArmedAggie:

That is the first thing that entered my mind as well.

What happens if somone shoots an RPG at a soldier walking next to a Striker?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:36:10 PM EDT

ETA: Now let's expand it so that in that same split second it back-calculates the shooter's position and launches a second weapon to obliterate said position.

That should be very possible. Then say an auto designate to the turret mounted weapon to engage the position.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:41:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dport:

That should be very possible. Then say an auto designate to the turret mounted weapon to engage the position.

Or at least turn the turret the right direction, to keep the man in the loop.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:41:32 PM EDT
I wonder when the troops will see it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:42:47 PM EDT
The cost is what is going to kill our DOD budget. No where in the article is there a cost associated with it. Good stuff but expensive.

Max
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:44:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Or at least turn the turret the right direction, to keep the man in the loop.

To me a designate means pointing it at the last known location, so I think we're on the smae page.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:45:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By maxell27:
The cost is what is going to kill our DOD budget. No where in the article is there a cost associated with it. Good stuff but expensive.

Max

It's expensive to care for horribly wounded troops as well. Funerals cost money. Training a replacement is expensive. Hell, the bonuses needed just to get a new recruit are expensive.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:48:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JB69:
That's pretty impressive when you really think about it.

I mean, how long is an RPG round actually IN flight ? A few seconds ??

Fascinating stuff.

I suspect most RPG flights last less than a second.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:49:33 PM EDT
i thoguht the metal grid protects them? why do they need this?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:50:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By maxell27:

Max

It's expensive to care for horribly wounded troops as well. Funerals cost money. Training a replacement is expensive. Hell, the bonuses needed just to get a new recruit are expensive.

But they come out of different pools of money.

I wish I was entirely kidding.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:50:27 PM EDT
I wonder if troops will be allowed to use this. As far as I know we have the capability to track almost any artillery/mortar round lobbed at our bases but counterbattery fire is not allowed because the rounds often originate in urban areas. Rules of engagement say we can't risk injuring civilians.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:50:32 PM EDT

I like the way you think.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:52:55 PM EDT
Cool.

When can I get one for home defense?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:52:58 PM EDT
I suppose that's true.

If we can fund the F-22 which, though good, has no immediate impact on our current #1 problem then we can find money for this, if it really works.

Same goes for something to counter IEDs. I would argue that almost all our recruiting problems and costs that come out of that "other pocket" revolve around these two things. We must find countermeasures at all costs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:55:26 PM EDT
Three very important questions that are not answered in the article:
1. How much does it weigh?
2. How big is it?
3. How much does it cost?

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:14:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/8/2006 1:15:18 PM EDT by FunYun1983]

Originally Posted By Ring:

The RPG cage is a bandaid to the problem that RPG's pose to IFV's, or any other vehicle. Remember, these goons arn't using the best there is, and if they get anything better, then the cages effectivness is going to drop alot.

Also the cage adds lots of weight and bulk to the Stryker, making it harder to transport.

Why risk the RPG missing the cage or even penatraiting it when you can eliminate the threat completely?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:22:48 PM EDT
Sounds similar to the Patriot system
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:37:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FunYun1983:

The RPG cage is a bandaid to the problem that RPG's pose to IFV's, or any other vehicle. Remember, these goons arn't using the best there is, and if they get anything better, then the cages effectivness is going to drop alot.

Also the cage adds lots of weight and bulk to the Stryker, making it harder to transport.

Why risk the RPG missing the cage or even penatraiting it when you can eliminate the threat completely?

IIRC I think the cages really effect the handling of the Stryker and has caused some roll-overs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:45:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/8/2006 1:45:42 PM EDT by ArmedAggie]

Originally Posted By COLE-CARBINE:

Originally Posted By FunYun1983:

IIRC I think the cages really effect the handling of the Stryker and has caused some roll-overs.

I like anything that shoots back over something that doesn't. This is almost an offensive defense instead of a passive one.

Plus, everyone agrees we need to take this thing the one short step to turning defense to offense in the blink of an eye.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:47:29 PM EDT
Sometimes technology like this falls short of the mark. Sometimes, though, it's just fu**ing bad-ass. I hope this proves to be the latter.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:50:30 PM EDT
wow. this is a serious statement about the military using top of the line computing. That is some serious speed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:51:20 PM EDT
Me likey.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:51:25 PM EDT
Couple this with the Electric Armor the Brits are working on, and you could have a really nice little armored package that doens't weigh much.

I believe that they are working on this tech to counter large kinetic weapons, as well (i.e. Tank rounds)
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:07:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chapperjoe:
wow. this is a serious statement about the military using top of the line computing. That is some serious speed.

Not really. If you think about it, this is no different than HAWK, Patriot, Tarter, Terrier, Talos, Aegis, Sea Sparrow, CIWS, etc. These systems have been around forever and speed isn't really all that. What is impressive is the small size of the processors and the radar.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:11:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lowdrag82:
Sounds similar to the Patriot system

Yes, it's like a mini-Patriot battery in every Stryker!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:16:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ASUsax:
Couple this with the Electric Armor the Brits are working on, and you could have a really nice little armored package that doens't weigh much.

I believe that they are working on this tech to counter large kinetic weapons, as well (i.e. Tank rounds)

US is working on electric armor as well, most of this tech is destined for the FCS.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:29:03 PM EDT
If this weapon is perfected you will not need dismounted troops. Think about it. The only reason for dismounts around armor is to keep anti-tank teams off the tanks. If you fit some sensors and some type of replaceable claymore strips to the side of the vehicle it should be damn near invulnerable to infantry attack!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:39:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kharn:
Three very important questions that are not answered in the article:
1. How much does it weigh?
2. How big is it?
3. How much does it cost?

Kharn

None of which are a factor if the gov't intends to buy it. taxpayer
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:44:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:

You develop TTP (tactics, techniques and procedures) to incoirporate them into your warfighting toolbag. Jeez, do you guys think USGI is stoopid? We've asked for active defnese for years. You cannot 'ignore' the capability, adn you must adjust your TTP to the threat.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:45:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ASUsax:

University of Texas has been working on electromagnetic armor since the 1980's

Along with the flywheel batteries and pulsed power systems to provide enough juce to make them work for more than one shot.

The Quick Strike itself sounds similar to Boeings "Small Low-cost Interceptor".

Its designed to fit in the same space as a chaff/flare cartridge or smoke grenade.

Whats amazing is that they have a search radar small enough to mount on a tank.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:49:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:

Maybe they are asuuming that a soldier with an RPG fired at him would die anyways so why not try to protect everyone else. I dont know just a thought.

Whats more dangerous/deadiler, the RPG being destroyed without hitting a striker or an RPG hitting a stryker and killing a whole group of Marines or soldiers?

I guess its a pick your poison type of deal.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:52:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Busch308:
If this weapon is perfected you will not need dismounted troops. Think about it. The only reason for dismounts around armor is to keep anti-tank teams off the tanks. If you fit some sensors and some type of replaceable claymore strips to the side of the vehicle it should be damn near invulnerable to infantry attack!

I bet that some said exactly the same thing when they invented nukes...

You will still need dismount troops to clear buildings, man checkpoints, take out RPG teams etc.

Yes, you still need to take out the anti-tank teams, because you will be able to deafeat this system by exhausting its magazine capacity. When the Russians went into Chechnya the first time, the Chechen hunter-killer teams defeated the ERA on the T-72s and T-80s by salvoing up to 40 RPGs at the same tank. What this system does is provide extra protection to the armoured vehicles while the infantry go in and clear the anti-tank teams out.

Still cool though
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:55:33 PM EDT

Probably doesn't do anything to them that the spall from the RPG detonation would do anyway.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:12:04 PM EDT
Useless Trivia hijack:

Quick Kill was also the name of marksmanship program back in the '60s where soldiers where trained to shoot instinctively without using their sights.
IIRC, they were using BB guns with the shape/weight of M16s and they supposedly got good enough to hit a BB in flight with another BB

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:23:59 PM EDT

There are 6 Strykers in Iraq testing a system like this now. It uses a combination of sensors to 'triangulate' on a target firing incoming rounds and return fire with the servo controlled M2 up top. The have a couple other Ray/Boeing systems that are awesome- Another anti RPG system- basically huge shotgun shells on the corners of the Stryker (I saw it at the Armys PIF center in AL), and a "less lethal" steerable microwave weapon system (previously named Project Sheriff, weapons new name eludes me right now.)
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:25:28 PM EDT
This more than likely will be incorperated into a robotic sentinal gun on top of the track. And yess, the gun will fire a burst at the originating vector. Just like ailiens..... Spooky.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:38:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jasondcrum:

There are 6 Strykers in Iraq testing a system like this now. It uses a combination of sensors to 'triangulate' on a target firing incoming rounds and return fire with the servo controlled M2 up top. The have a couple other Ray/Boeing systems that are awesome- Another anti RPG system- basically huge shotgun shells on the corners of the Stryker (I saw it at the Armys PIF center in AL), and a "less lethal" steerable microwave weapon system (previously named Project Sheriff, weapons new name eludes me right now.)

I was pretty sure I hadn't gotten the jump on the boys in R&D.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:39:40 PM EDT
Cool. I pass by that place quite often but I never knew they were doing cool stuff in there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:41:50 PM EDT
I guess our military is approaching the point in time when (relatively) slow moving, subsonic, atgms will become (for all practical purposes) obsolete and unneeded. I could see the javelin still being useful for near-term wars but weapons like TOWs, AT4s, RPGs and other similar systems will probably go the way of the horse and buggy with the advent of electric armor and systems such as "quick kill" and "arena".
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:48:39 PM EDT
Now shoot two RPGs at it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:03:15 PM EDT
How many civilians is this system going to kill in the crowd around vehicle? I tell you it's pathetic that the best the army can do is a 1960's RPG screen around the stryker. Where is all the advanced armor? It's 2006 and we still don't know how to defeat the RPG?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:06:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Arty8:
How many civilians is this system going to kill in the crowd around vehicle? I tell you it's pathetic that the best the army can do is a 1960's RPG screen around the stryker. Where is all the advanced armor? It's 2006 and we still don't know how to defeat the RPG?

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:07:02 PM EDT

You will still need dismount troops to clear buildings, man checkpoints, take out RPG teams etc.

Yes, you still need to take out the anti-tank teams, because you will be able to deafeat this system by exhausting its magazine capacity. When the Russians went into Chechnya the first time, the Chechen hunter-killer teams defeated the ERA on the T-72s and T-80s by salvoing up to 40 RPGs at the same tank. What this system does is provide extra protection to the armoured vehicles while the infantry go in and clear the anti-tank teams out.

The main gun clears buildings. The coax and the claymores take care of the dismount teams. 40 RPG's will kill a tank with or without dismounts but with this system and claymore packs you should have enough time to hose em down with 7.62 and the new 120mm AP rounds. Besides, with this new tech you can send the tanks through first to suppress heavy resistance and let the infantry follow behind about 100-200 meters to flush out the stragglers. New technology dictates new tactics.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:10:42 PM EDT
"SUBSCRIBED" for video.....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:18:01 PM EDT
I think it's interesting that the system uses an AESA radar like what's going into Block II Super-Hornets
and F-22A Raptor.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top