Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/7/2006 1:28:56 PM EDT
I'm currently rehabbing my house (totally gutted) and have the opportunity to run a water line over the area where I will be putting a gunsafe that I've yet to buy. I was wondering if a commercial type indoor fire sprinkler system mounted 3 feet or so above the safe would be an idea that could possibly benefit my collection if a fire were ever to break out.

I know that the fire lined safes usually are rated for 30 mins at 1,200. I suspect a house fire runs quite a bit hotter than just 1,200 and probably would last at least 30 minutes. The only thing I'd benefit from would be baking the cosmoline off of my C&R's. Other than that I imagine that inside the safe would still get to temps that would melt most of my plastic toys (glocks, walther pistols, AR stocks/furniture) and would be hell on optics.

So what's the odds you could get a simple system like that installed in my gun room/storage room and work enough to keep the safe from turning into a crock pot.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:43:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 1:44:06 PM EDT by arfreak74]
have a residential fire sprinkler system installed throughout your house and you won't have to worry about your guns burning up.

a house fire WON'T last anywhere near 30minutes with a good sprinkler system.

not a really expensive investment, especially considering you are gutting the house anyways.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:15:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By arfreak74:
have a residential fire sprinkler system installed throughout your house and you won't have to worry about your guns burning up.

a house fire WON'T last anywhere near 30minutes with a good sprinkler system.

not a really expensive investment, especially considering you are gutting the house anyways.

Question: Given that insurance companies have all of the intelligence and common sense of a sack of hammers, do you think they will have any problem with insuring the house against both fire and water damage if you have a sprinkler system installed?

I'm serious (and curious, I'd like to have sprinklers...)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:31:26 PM EDT
Insurance companies will give you a huge break on fire insurance for installing sprinklers. Reason: sprinklered buildings don't burn down. Any water damage from the sprinklers going off pales in comparison to smoke/fire/water damage in an unsprinklered house.

Not to mention it's safer for your family.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:37:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Phil_A_Steen:
Insurance companies will give you a huge break on fire insurance for installing sprinklers. Reason: sprinklered buildings don't burn down. Any water damage from the sprinklers going off pales in comparison to smoke/fire/water damage in an unsprinklered house.

that would be the logic that I would follow.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:50:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Phil_A_Steen:

Seriously huge... I was talking to my new agent about this last week.

I mean, it isn't going to off-set the cost of installing the system... But, you get a break and most of your shit won't burn up.

Ask Denny Hanson about safes and fire.
Top Top