Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 1:26:04 PM EDT
What do you use?

I just upgraded my computer and the programs that I had on my old 'puter (Nero 5 and Easy CD Creator) will not work on my new computer.  The old programs were introduced when DVD burners were essentially non-existent so they won't work with my new DVD-burner equipped computer.

I looked at the Amazon.com reviews of Nero 7 and Roxio Easy Disc Creator 6 and they were all poor.  For $60-90 per package, you'd think the software publishers could do better.

My DVD burner (a NEC) came with a copy of Nero Express which sucks.   It just doesn't work.

So what do you recommend?  I'd need something that can back up music and data CDs as well as DVDs (not copy-protected DVDs ... my dad has converted all our old 8mm and VHS-C tapes to DVD).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not just use XPs built in burner?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
With Nero 6 installed in the background, I use the free DVDShrink to backup the kidlets' DVDs that they're rough on.  Then just the Nero 6 Express for the CD thing or burning files to a DVD-R.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Doesn't do DVDs, does it?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yeah, I didn't think XP did DVDs ... will have to check.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#5]

We have that problem on some lab computers at the university.  Relatively new Dells, have DVD burners, the computing technology dep't swears there was no burning software included with the machines (I suspect they configured a machine and imaged the drives, forgetting to install the software).

So we have $3500 WinXP machines that can't burn a DVD, and we don't have user privileges to install the software ourselves.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't do DVDs, does it?

Ahh..  DVDs, my bad, that didn't register.  Nope, XP doesn't have DVD support but Vista is supposed to when it comes.  I'd try and see if you can get an upgrade option on top of the Nero Express that you already have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top