Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 12:41:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw that this morning, hey at least he's honest.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
it doesn't matter. They coulda made it from two inches from the endzone
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
They were 100% on 4th and Inches during the season.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
probably just to make the seahawks fans even more angry and upset.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Roethilisberger "I don't think I got in"  

Rest of team "STFU NOOB"
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Roethilisberger "I don't think I got in"  

Ironoxbows "heh, I don't think you did either"
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
probably just to make the seahawks fans even more angry and upset.

I never looked at like that....

Maybe he was stirring the pot a bit.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#8]
"Are you in yet?"
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Seahawk fans are looking more and more like Raider fans whining about the stupid fucking tuck rule, get over it you all lost, your team is heading for the shitter next year go back to drinking your starbucks and listening to grunge rock.....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Fooseball is the devil Bobby!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#11]
... So what?

... Just means the score would have been 14-10 instead
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
... So what?

Combine it with the borderline pushoff call that erased the Seahawks' touchdown and it might have an impact on the game's outcome  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Before he went to the ground, the ball was even with the white goal line stripe. T.D. Everyone focuses on when he hit the ground and where the ball ended up. That is not the way it is done but did the ball every cross the plane and it did.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Combine it with the borderline pushoff call that erased the Seahawks' touchdown...

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#15]
he's right

that game was won by the officials

flame suit on

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... So what?

Combine it with the borderline pushoff call that erased the Seahawks' touchdown and it might have an impact on the game's outcome  

good teams find a way to overcome bad calls, they happen in every game period, I am not a Steeler fan but they sure overcame bad calls in the Colts game. That is because they are champions and they found a way to win.  The NFC is far weaker than the AFC and it shows.  The Steelers are a better team than Seatle and they are world champs, at least for a year.  the Seahawks meantime will fall apart next season and find themselves circling the toilet bowl like a log of shit....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
he's right

flame suit on

Yep
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... So what?

Borderline pushoff?  I believe he did pushoff.  After all, it did happen 4 feet from the referee.  Now, whether or not he pushed off hard enough is not for you or I to decide.  The way they have been calling illegal use of the hands on defensive backs for everything after five yards, they need to start penalizing receivers.

Fact is, he pushed off and that is a penalty
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Combine it with the borderline pushoff call that erased the Seahawks' touchdown...

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15396

Don't give me that. Frankly I was rooting for the Steelers.

Did I, or did I not, call it a "borderline" call?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
... So what?

Borderline pushoff?  I believe he did pushoff.  After all, it did happen 4 feet from the referee.  Now, whether or not he pushed off hard enough is not for you or I to decide.  The way they have been calling illegal use of the hands on defensive backs for everything after five yards, they need to start penalizing receivers.

Fact is, he pushed off and that is a penalty

You too, see my post above.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#23]
INDISPUTABLE VIDEO EVIDENCE

Never forget that when analyzing replays.  It was Awful close.  If the ball ever crosses the plane, any part of the ball, it's a TD.  As close as it was, you really can't say either way - he was quite literally stopped AT the goal line.  It was in by an inch, or it was short by an inch.

The call on the field was Touchdown.  The video evidence cannot prove 100% that it wasn't, so the call stands.

OTOH, had the call been that it was short, it would not have been overturned, either.

As for the push off in the endzone... That was technically illegal.  Just not called very often.  I thought it looked worse in regular time than in slo-mo, which is probably why it was called.  It was a little push with a big break leading to huge seperation, but in real time you don't realize that the seperation was caused by a really good cut, not by the push.

With the slo-mo replay, no way would I call it.  But in real time... I can see how the flag would come out.  The ref didn't hesitate.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was borderline in 1990, it's an OBVIOUS penalty in 2006.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#25]
sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2322300

Sorry conspiracy buffs, a loss sometimes is just a loss
By Gene Wojciechowski / ESPN.com

A man can do a lot of thinking during the four-hour, pedal-through-the-floorboard drive from Detroit to sweet home Chicago. Like ...

Who cares if Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw stiffed the NFL's Super Bowl MVP ceremony? It was their loss, not ours. They had a chance to be part of one of the great team photos of all time, but decided to take a pass because of family commitments, or money demands, or both. All I know is that if I were Montana or Bradshaw, I would have brought my family to Detroit for this one. It's not like they had to take a wagon train to get there. After all, how many times do you get almost all the living MVPs from SB I to XL on the same field?

But Montana, the only three-time Super Bowl MVP, told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith, "I've moved on with my life. People think I need to be stuck with football the rest of my life.''

Yes, he's moved on all right ... until Feb. 25, when he's making a paid appearance at a collectors show. Autographs go for $149 apiece, photo ops for $169.

Apparently Joe has no family commitments that day.

Can we have a Franco Harris Rule? The rule states that no lead singer older than the 56-year-old Pittsburgh Steelers legend can perform during the Super Bowl halftime show.

Sorry, Mick. You and the belly shirt have to find a new gig.

And finally, can we stuff a very large sani-sock into the mouth of Seattle coach Mike Holmgren, and anyone else who says the refs had it out for the poor, little Seahawks?

The signs are very clever (Refs 21, Seahawks 10 ... or, Pittsburgh's 12th Man: The Refs), but they're bogus. It's how sore losers rationalize a final score. Worse yet, it's crying. And there's no crying in football, unless you're Hines Ward.

I know what you're thinking Cincinnati Bengals, Indianapolis Colts, Denver Broncos and, yes, Seattle Seahawks. You're thinking about the way the Steelers bumbled about in Ford Field, and you're saying to yourselves: "Tell me again how we lost to these guys?''

Think about Sunday's game:

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger freaked out ... The best Pittsburgh pass of the day (and I'm stealing Michael Irvin's line here) was thrown by wide receiver Antwaan Randle El ... The Steelers' inspirational "hero,'' Jerome Bettis, rushed for a grand total of 43 yards and couldn't pound it in when Pittsburgh needed him most ... The Steelers had fewer passing yards, less time of possession, fewer total yards, and more turnovers.

And yet, the Steelers won by 11, covering the spread with ease. Conspiracy theories arrived moments later.

The refs stole it.

The NFL "wanted'' this.

The Seahawks were really the better team.

Look, the game itself was 3 hours and 36 minutes of yawns. I think we can all pretty much agree on that. I loved the story lines, but the game, not so much.

But to simply dismiss the Steelers victory as an act of referee kindness is to take a Bettis-sized leap of faith.

Sorry, but Seahawks receiver Darrell Jackson pushed off in the end zone. Did it gain him an advantage? Maybe. Maybe not. All that matters is that the official standing nearby -- a lot closer than John Madden, you or me -- thought so. Instead of a touchdown, Seattle settled for a 3-0 first quarter lead.

Sorry, but Roethlisberger might have broken the plane of the goal line on his second quarter 1-yard TD dive. Or not. That's what matters, right? Not where he landed, but if the ball broke the plane? The play was reviewed and upheld. What else was anyone supposed to do? And while there are no guarantees, if the ball had been spotted just short of the goal line, the Steelers were 100 percent on fourth-and-goals this season.

Sorry, I truly don't know whether Sean Locklear held Clark Haggans on that key fourth quarter call. Even if he didn't, and it was first-and-goal from the Pittsburgh 1, then what? If you can't guarantee Pittsburgh's scoring on fourth-and-inches in the second quarter, you can't guarantee Seattle's scoring on first-and-goal from the 1. Why? Because funny things happen, like the Bettis fumble against Indy. Or Roethlisberger's underthrowing a wide-open Cedrick Wilson against Seattle, costing the Steelers a sure touchdown or a likely field goal (the ball was at the Seahawks' 7). Instead, Kelly Herndon intercepted the crummy pass, returned it 76 yards and Seattle scored three plays later.

No one can deny there were questionable calls during the game. But before Holmgren and Latte Nation start whining about playing "the guys in the striped shirts as well,'' perhaps a history lesson is in order.

The striped shirts didn't cause tight end Jerramy Stevens to drop four passes. The striped shirts didn't cause the Seahawks defense to give up a Steelers first down on a third-and-28 situation (which later led to the Roethlisberger disputed TD). The striped shirts didn't cause the Seahawks defense to give up the longest touchdown run in Super Bowl history. They also didn't cause Etric Pruitt to sprint up from his safety position, only to be fooled by the trick play that resulted in Randle El's 43-yard TD pass to Ward (and by the way, if everyone knows the Steelers like to run gadget plays near midfield, don't you think the Seahawks knew it too?). Or cause Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck to throw a killer interception with nearly 11 minutes left in the game and Seattle trailing by only four points.

Enough already with the whining. The Seahawks had their chances. Plenty of them to overcome the Steelers and, if they insist, the refs, too.

Holmgren, who didn't exactly distinguish himself in the waning minutes of both halves, is no doubt suffering some post-Super Bowl anger. Perfectly understandable, especially in front of the thousands who greeted the team upon its return to Seattle. But days, weeks, months from now, when he's able to think more clearly, he'll realize the only people to blame for the loss were wearing Seahawks metallic blue, not black and white.

Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at [email protected].

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was borderline in 1990, it's an OBVIOUS penalty in 2006.

Meh. I think we all got robbed of one half of a football game... The first half sucked hard.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
INDISPUTABLE VIDEO EVIDENCE

Never forget that when analyzing replays.  It was Awful close.  If the ball ever crosses the plane, any part of the ball, it's a TD.  As close as it was, you really can't say either way - he was quite literally stopped AT the goal line.  It was in by an inch, or it was short by an inch.

The call on the field was Touchdown.  The video evidence cannot prove 100% that it wasn't, so the call stands.

OTOH, had the call been that it was short, it would not have been overturned, either.
I understand the indisputable evidence part of IR.  The problem I have is that the ref came running in signaling to spot the ball, and only once he was right next to Roethilisberger(he needs a shorter damned name by the way) did he change the call to touchdown.  Well after the "second thrust" when he was already down.  What made him change his mind?  I think he made the call figuring hell, IR will sort it out, and all we have is a blurred frame of video that is insufficient.

As for the push off in the endzone... That was technically illegal.  Just not called very often.  I thought it looked worse in regular time than in slo-mo, which is probably why it was called.  It was a little push with a big break leading to huge seperation, but in real time you don't realize that the seperation was caused by a really good cut, not by the push.
Well, how about the fact that 1 second before the pushoff, you can see the DB using his left hand and tugging on the right shoulder of the receiver's jersey, this is followed by the receiver sitcking his arm out.  The DB started with the illegal contact, that was more obvious, and there was no call on that.

With the slo-mo replay, no way would I call it.  But in real time... I can see how the flag would come out.  The ref didn't hesitate.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Seahawk fans are looking more and more like Raider fans whining about the stupid fucking tuck rule, get over it you all lost, your team is heading for the shitter next year go back to drinking your starbucks and listening to grunge rock.....

I wish we had stellar teams like the 49ers or the Raiders.

Let me wait for the "back in the day we won so may Superbowls."

Personally I can't stand either of those teams however at least they can both say tehy have won it  instead of "wo is me the officials ripped us off, damn"
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Of course he didn't.  Not that those blind refs could tell.  I acutally figured some of this would come out about but not so soon and not from him.  Good man!

Like I said before...I don't care who won...but the integrity of the game suffers with poor officiating...ESPECIALLY in the Big Game.  Sad state of affairs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#30]
A little better analysis:

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:01:55 AM EDT
[#31]
The refereeing was definitely a factor inthe game.  Good teams can overcome one call, but not a questionable call on every big play you make.  It's just the Steelers turn to get all the friendly calls the Patriots used to get.

BTW:  Trick play touchdown should have been called back too.  Quarterback gave a low block during the reverse.  From a ruling a few minutes earlier, I though that was a penalty.  

What the referees really did was take a potentially exciting game and make it mediocre.  Both teams seemed to be getting their acts together and a real shootout  would have been more exciting than watching momentum constantly being killed with questionable calls.  Some day I would like a coach to actually speak up about the officiating.  This was not the best crew out there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
he's right

flame suit on

Like the 2000 presidential election?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
A little better analysis:

www.camcojb.com/sbXVtd.jpg

Not sure where you think the ball is, but it not clear in this pic.  Ben had it tucked hard to his chest with his gloved hand breaking the plane.  Regardless, I feel the would have punched it in either way.  That isn't one of the multiple game-impacting poor calls.  I'm not blaming the Steelers.  The damn officials should have let them play the game.  

"A good team find a way to win".  BS.  Pitt only had three plays all game.  

It could have been a good close game, the ref didn't allows us to see it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#34]
The turning point of the game was the holding call when the Seahawks completed the ball to the 1 yard line. Even Madden commented that it wasn't holding. That ended the Seahawks drive.  They tried a 50 yard field goal and missed. That gave the Steelers the ball with the lead 14-10. A couple plays later, the Steelers through the WR to WR touchdown pass which ended the game.

Without the holding call, the Seahawks would have had the ball first and goal. I give it an 80% chance that the Seahawks would have scored and taken the lead 17-14.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Before he went to the ground, the ball was even with the white goal line stripe. T.D. Everyone focuses on when he hit the ground and where the ball ended up. That is not the way it is done but did the ball every cross the plane and it did.

The way I saw it, and I couldn't care less, the ball got at least TO the plane of the goal, then he jerked it back and after he hit the ground reached it forward again.

All you people whining about the refs, COME TO THE SEC, where a defensive back can shove the receiver out of the endzone, turn around and make the interception, and get away with it. Truly breathtaking.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2322300

Sorry conspiracy buffs, a loss sometimes is just a loss
By Gene Wojciechowski / ESPN.com

A man can do a lot of thinking during the four-hour, pedal-through-the-floorboard drive from Detroit to sweet home Chicago. Like ...

[snip]

...when he's able to think more clearly, he'll realize the only people to blame for the loss were wearing Seahawks metallic blue, not black and white.

Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at [email protected].

Awwww, what the fuck does he know?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
That was just bad officiating.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... So what?

Define borderline....is it a millimeter short of the goal....or a "little" push-off"?  And then there's the Hasselback fumble that wasn't ...because of a little touch...when he was obviously going down on his own without having been touched.

The only correct thing to do is replay the whole game, a do-over.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#39]
It isn't the Seahawks that got robbed.

It's the fans.

Game sucked, and it shouldn't have.

I expected the Steelers to win, they probably deserved to win, but the fans deserved the game as it would have been without the BS officiating.

The low block call all by itself ruined the game, the 'Hawks got rattled and never got it together again, for that they deserved to lose, but they didn't deserve the call that rattled them in the first place.

Shame.

Should have been at worst a seven point game, if the questionable pushoff call had gone the other way, and the BS low block call had not been made, then all the 'Hawks would have had to do was score from 1st and 1 to have tied the game, since the FG never would have happened in that case.

And that's giving Rothlesgurger his TD, which was good IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top