Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/7/2006 7:24:49 AM EDT
I send them a nasty and talked them down about $15 bucks on my bill a few months back. Now it's not only back up but totals at $100 for cable internet and BASIC cable.

I was thinking about dropping the cable down to ISDN or something since I don't use it for anything mroe than surfing and uploading stuff to my (outdated) website.

Cable? I could get rid of it all together and just watch DVD's. TV sucks and any important news I need I can get off the net.

I guess I'll give them another ultimatum and see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:25:52 AM EDT
I would, but I can't go without a 400KB/s connection.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:26:24 AM EDT
DSL is probably what you'll end up wanting, rather than ISDN.

And my cable bills go down dramatically next week when my wife starts working for them.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:33:19 AM EDT
My biggest gripe is with the cable part of the bill. To me it shouldn't be more than $30 considering how they (the way I see it) doubledip between the paying customers and the paid-advertising and local commercials.

At any given time I can find Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley whoring for the Total Gym or a Pro-Active commercial or some other useless crap that is advertised ad nauseum.

If that's worth $50/month I'm must be missing something.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:42:01 AM EDT
pathfinder74: Can you get rid of the cable TV part and keep the internet service? I think the cost of cable-TV has been increased. To me cable-TV is a waste of money, if you can't find anything to watch on free TV, go find something else to do, like rent a movie, walk around the block, learn to do reloading etc.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:44:36 AM EDT
You are being raped… but that is what cable companies do.

I have:

DISH 4 TVs with PVR, 180 program package with locals… $60/month
Sprit DSL 1.5… $20/month

$5 discount for bundling/billing DISH through Sprint.

Total… $75/month
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:48:45 AM EDT

My Mediacom Cable rates increased last month. I now pay $93.61 per month.

Basic Analog Cable TV (no premium channels) - $47.95

High-Speed Cable Internet - $42.95

Taxes, Fees & Surcharges - $2.71
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:10:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:
if you can't find anything to watch on free TV

How do you watch "free" tv? TV's today don't even come with antenna's any more. Part of the reason people get cable TV is for the "improved reception" on all the local stations.

If I could pull in a crystal clear picture on my TV for the locals stations I'd have an arguement to present to my wife who is less willing to chuck the cable TV than I am.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:15:55 AM EDT
Not in my area.

I was paying $30 for a 768down/128up conenction.

Now I'm paying $30 for 3000down/768up and my old 767down/128up package is $15.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:28:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 8:30:23 AM EDT by warlord]

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

Originally Posted By warlord:
if you can't find anything to watch on free TV

How do you watch "free" tv? TV's today don't even come with antenna's any more. Part of the reason people get cable TV is for the "improved reception" on all the local stations.

If I could pull in a crystal clear picture on my TV for the locals stations I'd have an arguement to present to my wife who is less willing to chuck the cable TV than I am.

I think you can buy yourself a set of rabbit ears for a nominal price at the local Wall-Mart. I live in an area in Los Angeles suburbs surrounded by mountains(San Gabriel Valley, 10 miles east of Los Angeles), which plays havoc on TV signals, I get passable reception on rabbit ears. If ever wanted better "over the air" TV reception a outdoor antannea would be even better. I guess "different strokes for different folks." My children watch way too much TV as it is already, I'm not about to encourage them to watch more. Not getting cable-TV is really hard, because their friends all have cable TV and watch all of the show my children don't know anything about.

At the moment we have Adelphia internet connection at my house, and it is rated at 3mb down and 1.5 mb up because my son plays his PS2 on the internet for $33/month. The actual speeds are closer to 4-4.5mb down in the morning, and but it slows to sub 1.0mb down when there is many people on the system, ie after school and during major holidays. But the cable internet is the way to go because the connection never get broken, which interrupts my son's games. I had Yahoo/SBC DSL, but we frequently get disconnected.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:55:19 AM EDT
mine's $130 a month for Digital Cable, high definition tier, HBO, Cinemax, Roadrunner broadband
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:00:46 AM EDT
I only pay $45/month for cable internet/basic cable.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:07:44 AM EDT
Have you thought about getting a FTA Receiver? You can use a small satellite dish like DTV or Dishnetwork along with a FTA receiver to pick up unencrypted TV stations, completely legal. You can also use the same receiver to pick up all of Dishnetwork stations with a little tweaking, but thats not so legal.

If anyone is interested HERE is a forum that will give you some more information.
Top Top