User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 6:03:00 AM EDT
THE NEW YORK POST
February 7, 2006

A BIGGER, BLACKER GOP
By DICK MORRIS

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/63051.htm

FAR away from the speeches of Jesse Jackson, the demands of Al Sharpton and the ranting of Louis Farrakhan, a quiet revolution is taking place in the role African-Americans play in politics. In the very heartland of the nation — in Pennsylvania and Ohio — the Republican Party is getting set to nominate black candidates for governor in the coming elections. In a nation that has not a single African-American governor — not one — from either party, this is its own little revolution.

These are not throwaway candidates in states where the GOP has no chance of victory. These are real candidates, chosen when there were plenty of white alternatives, that are en route to their party's nomination, with real chances to win.

In Pennsylvania, former football great Lynn Swann stands poised to be designated as the Republican candidate at next week's State Convention. The former wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers, now enshrined in the Hall of Fame, is seeking fame of another sort, trying to be the state's first black governor.

In Ohio, a key swing state, Ken Blackwell, the Republican secretary of state, is running for the gubernatorial nomination in a state Republicans can win. In Maryland, Lieut. Gov. Michael Steele is seeking the open Senate seat.

Add these men to the possibility that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice might heed Laura Bush's advice and run for president, and a revolution may be in the making.

Salena Zito, a political columnist for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, notes that "to an extent, Democrats have been blindsided by this growth of black Republicans running for high-profile offices."

The backdrop for this sea change is sketched out in a new book by an ex-Bush White House staffer, Ron Christie, "Black in the White House: Life Inside George W. Bush's West Wing." He catalogues a range of policy initiatives which, particularly in education, have led to achievements that rival the best of the Clinton years.

Partly as a result of President Bush's No Child Left Behind legislation, the achievement gap between white and black fourth-grade students in reading is at its lowest ever and the math gap is, too. (The eighth-grade tests also reflect a sharp narrowing of the gap.)

And as former Rep. J.C. Watts of Oklahoma found out, African-Americans who reject the entitlement ethic and stand for self-reliance and individual upward mobility are very attractive to white voters. Asked to accept liberal ideology and big tax-and-spend programs as the price of supporting black candidates, many voters say no. But given a chance to find black candidates who share the electorate's vision, most white voters jump at the chance.

Black candidates are highly threatening to white political leaders. Sources close to Rev. Al Sharpton, for example, attribute Hillary Clinton's comparison of the House of Representatives to a "plantation" to her fear of a Rice candidacy. "She boycotted the event for two years in a row and now, when Condi might run, she shows up and uses militant rhetoric," one of Sharpton's key people told me. "She needs to get Al to vouch for her in South Carolina if she goes up against Condi," he added.

The Democratic Party has always treated the African-American vote like a golfer's handicap. A Democrat takes the black vote for granted and a Republican, until recently, takes its loss as a given. But the growth of black candidates among Republicans — a result of the declining power of racism in politics — may force both parties to change that calculation. If the black vote becomes "in play" as the Hispanic vote has, there will be a whole new politics in this country of ours.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I would vote for Condaleeza!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:12:05 AM EDT
[#2]

The backdrop for this sea change is sketched out in a new book by an ex-Bush White House staffer, Ron Christie, "Black in the White House: Life Inside George W. Bush's West Wing." He catalogues a range of policy initiatives which, particularly in education, have led to achievements that rival the best of the Clinton years.

But, but , but Clinton was the first black president.  He did soooooooooooooo much for wimmen and minorities.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would vote for Condaleeza!!

Goddamn right.

Man, watching the Arab Muslim nations have to deal with a Black woman? That would be a riot. Got 'em from both angles.

In related stuff, of course the GOP must work with people of all stripes. And blacks in America are figuring out that this article is right. The Dems have viewed blacks as a guarenteed vote. So they pander to the community but never actually do anything. Why spend money or help if you know they'll vote for you anyway? This is, quite frankly, one of the reasons why mostly black areas are in shit shape. The politicians they've been sending don't give a damn about them really, since they have no incentive to help.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Good news. Can we ditch the hyphenated american stuff though?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:39:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Salena Zito, a political columnist for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, notes that "to an extent, Democrats have been blindsided by this growth of black Republicans running for high-profile offices."

What the Demoncrats are going to be blind-sided by is black America's final realization that they have been "had" by the left. Democrat leaders, and so called black leaders as well (Jackson, Sharpton, etc) have no interest in helping blacks succeed. Their vision requires that blacks fail and remain dependant on Democrats for hand outs and preferential treatment. They want blacks to remain under their boot, begging for freebies in return for votes.

Anyone who is watching knows that Bush has done more to place blacks and other minorities in positions of REAL power than the Democrats have collectively since their party was formed. The left truly believes that the average black American is not capable of succeeding on their own, and that they know better how to run their lives than they do. Any that shy away from the left are instantly labelled Uncle Tom or Oreo Cookie. The fact that more and more blacks are waking up to this should give the Dems nightmares.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:48:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope to be voting for Blackwell in Ohio's Governor's race.
There is also talk of setting him up for the Presidential race in 2012, or possibly 2008.
He gets great writeups in buckeyefirearms.org and he has said in interviews that shrinking the government, lowering taxes, getting government out of our way, and out of business' way are his priorities.  He also has said that Ronald Reagan is his political mentor.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#7]
None of the above mentioned are really African-Americans. They are Americans. I guess there are no White Africans in the world huh???
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:02:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Really!

Exactly what does Africa have to do with an American born Black person?

HS1
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really!

Exactly what does Africa have to do with an American born Black person?

HS1

*shrug*

Probably as much as Ireland and Sicily have to do with me.  Who cares how people choose to describe themselves?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:13:38 AM EDT
[#10]

In a nation that has not a single African-American governor — not one — from either party, this is its own little revolution.

Dick Morris is a brilliant guy, but he should fire his fact checker. Doug Wilder was the first African-American governor. Oh well, no one is inflammible.

From Wikipedia:

Lawrence Douglas Wilder (born January 17, 1931) is an American politician. He is the first (and, to date, the only) African American to have been elected governor of a U.S. state, serving as Governor of Virginia from 1990 to 1994. Wilder is currently Mayor of Richmond, Virginia.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:23:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought Collin Powell would have made a good president.
Problem is, he's too honest.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

In a nation that has not a single African-American governor — not one — from either party, this is its own little revolution.

Dick Morris is a brilliant guy, but he should fire his fact checker. Doug Wilder was the first African-American governor. Oh well, no one is inflammible.

From Wikipedia:

Lawrence Douglas Wilder (born January 17, 1931) is an American politician. He is the first (and, to date, the only) African American to have been elected governor of a U.S. state, serving as Governor of Virginia from 1990 to 1994. Wilder is currently Mayor of Richmond, Virginia.

I read that as meaning currently..ended in '94, perhaps that's what he meant.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Whatever became of JC Watts?

I loved that guy!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted: A BIGGER, BLACKER GOP
... and UNCUT!

The black vote will be in play because everybody hates paying taxes. Blacks are moving up into the income levels of other minorities and it's starting to sink in that paying 'gubment to waste their money is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

But, but , but Clinton was the first black president.  He did soooooooooooooo much for to wimmen and minorities.  

Fixed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I loved that guy!

he was slapped down by the white old guard in the rnc when he got too "in your face" with jackson and sharpton. blacks are allowed in the rep party but only if they know their place. believe me, i know from personal experience cuz i was part of that revolution back in the 80's and 90's and saw it happen first hand. it was one of the reasons i quit the party as well after seeing people slapped down time after time by functionaries too concerned with robert's rules of order and not with real change. we need to get rid of the party royalty like john warner, the old guard who want to maintain the status quo and want to "just get along" if we want things to really happen in this country.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I loved that guy!

I believe he retired from politics. He probably got sick of being the poster child in the house.
There may be more black Republican candidates, but blacks by and large did not vote those candidates into their current offices. Steele, the MD Lt Gov in particular is seen as an "Uncle Tom",and has actually been attacked by members of black lobbying groups. Based on vote statistics,blacks as a voting block are still voting Democrat in huge numbers. Their hasn't been an underlying change in circumstances to warrant their changing that vote. The rise in median income for blacks is probably the only indicator that might drive more black Republican votes,and I have my doubts even about that.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#18]
The Honorable J.C. Watts, Jr.

Congressman J.C. Watts, Jr., became chairman of GOPAC in March 2003 following an outstanding career in public service. Founded in 1978, GOPAC is the premier training organization for Republican candidates across America.

During his remarkable tenure in the U.S. Congress, Watts earned a reputation as a lawmaker with a special oratorical gift and a charismatic persona that his constituents and Americans across the country have come to know and admire.

Watts was first elected to represent the fourth district of Oklahoma in the U.S. House of Representatives in November 1994 with 52 percent of the vote. He won re-election in 1996 with 58 percent, in 1998 with 62 percent, and again in 2000 with 65 percent of the vote.

Fellow congressmen quickly recognized his leadership qualities and elected him chairman of the House Republican Conference, the fourth-highest position in the House, in 1998. He was unopposed in his re-election to this leadership position in 2000.

Watts earned a solid reputation in Oklahoma and throughout the nation as a perceptive and passionate spokesman for improving and redeveloping communities, exercising fiscal discipline, strengthening education, restoring values, and bolstering national defense. In Congress, he served on the Armed Services Committee and was a member of the Military Readiness Subcommittee and the Procurement Subcommittee. Taking the lead on one of the most important issues of the day, Watts served on the Special Oversight Panel on Terrorism.

In 1996, he delivered a powerful, inspiring speech at the Republican National Convention. Soon thereafter, he was selected to give the Republican response to President Clinton’s 1997 State of the Union Address. Watts also served as an honorary co-chairman at the 2000 Republican National Convention.

Watts was commended for his efforts in Congress with numerous community awards, including the 1996 Junior Chamber of Commerce’s Ten Outstanding Young Americans Award, the Jefferson Award for promoting economic prosperity and free enterprise, the Christian Coalition’s Friend of the Family Award, the YMCA’s Strong Kids, Strong Families, Strong Communities plaque, the 60 Plus Association’s Guardian and Benjamin Franklin awards, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Spirit of Enterprise Award.

He serves on the board of representatives of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in Oklahoma and has been a leader for groups such as the Orphan Foundation of America and the Boy Scouts of America. Watts also travels across the nation as a guest preacher. He is currently the chairman of GOPAC, as well as leader of the Coalition for AIDS Relief in Africa (CARA), a new organization that he co-chairs with Eva Clayton.

J.C. Watts was born the fifth of six children to Buddy and Helen Watts on November 18, 1957, in Eufaula, Oklahoma. He graduated from Eufaula High School in 1976 and attended the University of Oklahoma; he earned a B.A. in journalism in 1981. While at the University of Oklahoma, Watts was quarterback for the Sooners, leading them to two consecutive Big Eight championships and Orange Bowl victories. He was voted the Most Valuable Player in the 1980 and 1981 Orange Bowl wins over Florida State. From 1981 to 1986, he started for Ottawa and Toronto in the Canadian Football League and was voted the Most Valuable Player of the Grey Cup, the CFL’s Super Bowl, his rookie season. Watts was inducted into the Orange Bowl Hall of Honor in 1992.

After returning to Oklahoma, Watts served as a youth minister at Sunnylane Baptist Church in Del City, Oklahoma, from January 1987 until December 1994, when he became associate pastor. In 1990, he was elected to the Oklahoma State Corporation Commission and became chairman before running for Congress in 1994.

More important to J.C. Watts than any of his achievements are his wife, Frankie, and their five children. The family resides in Norman, Oklahoma, where they are members of Bethel Baptist Church.

ETA:
Quotes
"...they said that I had sold out and Uncle Tom. And I said well, they deserve to have that view. But I have my thoughts. And I think they're race-hustling poverty pimps."
J.C. Watts, Jr. speaking on Hannity and Colmes about his refusal to join the Caucus.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I loved that guy!

he was slapped down by the white old guard in the rnc when he got too "in your face" with jackson and sharpton. blacks are allowed in the rep party but only if they know their place. believe me, i know from personal experience cuz i was part of that revolution back in the 80's and 90's and saw it happen first hand. it was one of the reasons i quit the party as well after seeing people slapped down time after time by functionaries too concerned with robert's rules of order and not with real change. we need to get rid of the party royalty like john warner, the old guard who want to maintain the status quo and want to "just get along" if we want things to really happen in this country.

Doesn't it appear that things are different with the current administration?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Doesn't it appear that things are different with the current administration?

in the bush administration, yes. and to be truthful, things ARE changing somewhat. it just irks me that it's taken 15 years.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I loved that guy!

JC is doing well.  I own a business in his home town Eufaula, OK and spoke with him here.  I tried talking him into running for govenor, but he said he is sick of the way things are.  He said he never thought he'd see a time when 'everybody' wants a handout or something for nothing.  

We mostly talked about football, cattle, and took a few pitcures with him.  He's just a good ol' country boy that has good solid beliefs, really smart, and is able to articulate his ideas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top