Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree, they shouldn't have Shotguns.

They should have Carbines or Rifles of some sort. Much more useful.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My campus doesn't have police but rather unarmed private security guards. I like that they are private because it lets them use more discretion but I think they should be armed.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
he's got TWO guns?!   Oh the horror!

Haha, you should have seen the look when Kent State University tried to acquire free m-16's. The backlash was immense. You know what they did? They ended up buying ar15's. No backlash. Stupid hippies....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
he's got TWO guns?!   Oh the horror!

Haha, you should have seen the look when Kent State University tried to acquire free m-16's. The backlash was immense. You know what they did? They ended up buying ar15's. No backlash. Stupid hippies....

well they do have a (clears throat) "unique" history
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, i know. I went there a couple of years. Now, I'm at Ohio State and the campus police don't beat around the bush. They have all of the bums and gang bangers to contend with...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My campus doesn't have police but rather unarmed private security guards. I like that they are private because it lets them use more discretion but I think they should be armed.

At my school the security consisted of several fat guys riding around on uber-tactical golf carts. They were unarmed and only had a parking citation book and a radio.

Though, the city police station was right across the street from the main campus so I guess it was not a real problem.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
My math might be off but...$24,000 for a bunch of Glock 22s and a couple of Remington 870s?  

ETA - And for 11 people... One Glock 22 is around 500...times 11 = $5,500... About $1,000 for mags...  MAYBE another $1,000 on ammo.  Then something like $4-500 each for two 870s...  So that's...  $7-8,000.  What was the other $16 or so thousand spent on?

Factor in new holsters, mag holders, ammo for duty qualification and training, automatic locks for the shotguns within the cars, paying t have the locks installed,etc

I didn't think of that stuff, but...$16,000 for all that?  Sounds a tad expensive.  

They might also be paying the officers' overtime for attending the firearms training with the new weapons from that money.

Also, they probably only paid around $434 per pistol

Makes sense now.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
man would that girls jaw drop if she took a look in my den at home

We all know what to do when her jaw drops, right?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Campus police at my college NEED guns. 3 armed robberies/muggings of students have happened in the last 6 months... College students make easy targets generally.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#10]

GL
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:34:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Those campus commandos probably need all of that firepower if encounter a sex-crazed coed.

Or a guy who decides he is the re-incarnation of ghengis kahn and starts chasing students around with a sword, and who runs onto the baseball diamond and pulls out a .357 magnum and blows his brains out.

True story that happened on the college campus a couple of years back.

Being a campus PD officer doesn't mean you don't have to deal with dangerous stuff.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:35:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Reminds me of NJIT in the middle of Newark.  The entire school is like 20 square blocks, and they had a police department of 65 officers!!!

How many people are in those 20 square blocks?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:36:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My math might be off but...$24,000 for a bunch of Glock 22s and a couple of Remington 870s?  

ETA - And for 11 people... One Glock 22 is around 500...times 11 = $5,500... About $1,000 for mags...  MAYBE another $1,000 on ammo.  Then something like $4-500 each for two 870s...  So that's...  $7-8,000.  What was the other $16,000 or so spent on?

You also have to do training and quals on the new weapons, provide new ammunition, plus paying the armorer.....There is more than merely the cost of weapons.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:38:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been told Asheville, NC is a hippie mecca.

It is.

+1. Big homosexual population too, which would imply lots of libs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:41:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've been told Asheville, NC is a hippie mecca.

The whole blue ridge mountian chain is. I used to live in Boone, which is in the north west corner of NC and I though it was the hippy mecca. I think those mountain college campuses just draw them there in droves.

+1 on whoever said that college students are dumber than dirt (in general, I realize there are exceptions)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:41:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Campus police at my college NEED guns. 3 armed robberies/muggings of students have happened in the last 6 months... College students make easy targets generally.

Yup.

Some off-campus housing was recently targeted by some MS-13s. They busted into a small gathering with baseball bats and knives and stole the students blind after roughing them up. A student employee and her boyfriend were robbed at knifepoint while going to their off campus appartment  from an off-campus store.

A college looks to the criminal element like a pasture full of sheep looks to a hungry wolf.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:44:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
+1 on whoever said that college students are dumber than dirt (in general, I realize there are exceptions)

It's not that they are dumb, it is that they haven't thought things through. They don't understand how the world works yet in many areas, and have had relatively little exposure to the harsher realities of life Lets face facts: Most college students come from upper middle class backgrounds and have had relatively little experience with anything bad in the world.

Contrast them with a Marine who just got out and who is spending his GI bill money on an education.

Big difference.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:46:50 AM EDT
[#18]
It is the gheyification of America.

Max
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:04:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Campus Police advance weaponry
By Kristen Marshall - Staff Writer

BRIAN DAVIS - STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

Campus Police recieved a grant from the North Carolina Governor’s Crime Commission last year, with which they purchased new handguns and shotguns. Two Remington Model 870 pump-action shotguns, like the one shown above, are now located in two of the Campus Police vehicles.

Campus Police recently purchased new equipment, including two new shotguns, in order to protect and serve the UNCA campus.

“It was to better equip the department,” said Steve Lewis, director of Campus Police.

<snip>
An advantage of the shotgun is its longer range,” Lewis said. “Every new officer who’s come through basic law enforcement training has trained with a shotgun.”

Longer range than what?  A baton?  Throwing stones?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top