Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 2:24:48 PM EDT
I will be moving my family to the mid west in the next few months and I was curious how you guys would transport the few guns that are left following a boating accident. I was thinking about buying enough gun socks from Cabelas to cushion the stocks. I would then load up the safe into the front of the van, place my firearms into the safe, lock down the door, remove the door handle spokes, and ratchet strap the safe to the anchor points inside the van. I have two concerns:

1. Theft during the 4-5 days on the road while staying at random motels along the major freeways. Having the safe in the front of the moving van should deter most theft attempts as you would have to unload the entire van to get to the safe or cut through the side of the van to gain access.  

2. Movement of firearms within the safe resulting in damage to firearms.

I don't want to leave anything of real value in the chase vehicle that will be driven by other family members during this process.

Any thoughts/advice??

Thanks!!

PS:

Would I be OK with a CW traveling from Oregon to the upper midwest? I do have an Oregon CHL.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I think your plan is good.  Maybe look at getting a Uhaul that is enclosed so noone will see the safe?

Max
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to pacing.org and look up the peaceable journey laws for the states that you will be traveling through. Kansas and Illinois are 2 bummers that come to mind.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I will be renting the largest U-Haul truck that I can find. Everything should be enclosed.....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Do it like you said, but before you close the safe cut some plywood pieces that will fit inside the safe and against the doorway to block up the front of the safe leaving just the top open. Fill the safe up, from the opening, with packing peanuts.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I did that recently moving to CO.

I am pretty cautious about my weps and only had the moving company transport my sage.  The remainder of the guns I kept in the car all burried under other stuff.

I was pretty paranoid about having the car stolen at the overnight stop but I parked close to the room window and took the pistols in with me.  If you can get all the guns into your room, that may be a good way to go.

Typically, I think, movers from a reputable company, don't use Wheaton, I think you should be ok.

Regarding transporting through states, I think you should be ok provided everything is unloaded, in separate cases from the ammo, no loaded mags, and ammo separate from any mags, no loose ammo touching anything.  

Also checking Packing.org, that is always a good suggestion.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I will also have to tow a Chevy S10 blazer. I am probably going to rent an auto dolly and tow it with the U-haul truck rather than my dodge CTD (Put more wear and tear on their truck, not mine!). Should I rent the dolly that straps the front axle down and leaves the rear wheels of the towed vehicle on the ground or see if I can find a trailer that will get all 4 wheels of the towed vehicle off the ground?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I will also have to tow a Chevy S10 blazer. I am probably going to rent an auto dolly and tow it with the U-haul truck rather than my dodge CTD (Put more wear and tear on their truck, not mine!). Should I rent the dolly that straps the front axle down and leaves the rear wheels of the towed vehicle on the ground or see if I can find a trailer that will get all 4 wheels of the towed vehicle off the ground?

You want one that gets your entire vehicle off the road. It will be a bit more but you'll be much happier in the long run. I've made several cross-country moves and have used both. Towing with the axle dollies is okay for a few 10s of miles not for 100s of miles though.

ETA: Use the license tool on packing.org to see what your Oregon permit gets you. Kansas is a definite no-no on CCW for now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Packing them in the safe sounds like a good idea......  Probably the most simple, in any event.

A metric shit-ton of bubble wrap (big bubble kind) will solve the problem of them possibly shifting around, and damaging each other, pretty easily.  Just wrap each gun in some, then stuff more in between once they're all in the case....  Might cost you a few bucks for that much, but it'll be  cheap insurance if you ask me.  

And of course, if you have kids, that crap will keep them out your hair for a good long while, once you get there, hahaha  

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#9]
After checking out Packing.org, it appears that going through Kansas, Nebraska, and Illinois will be difficult with a CHL . Oh well, my wife can be very threatening when provoked.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
After checking out Packing.org, it appears that going through Kansas, Nebraska, and Illinois will be difficult with a CHL . Oh well, my wife can be very threatening when provoked.

Well....there you go! If anybody gives you any crap in Kansas, Nebraska, or Illinois, just tell them you have an 'assault wife-le' and to get back!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Is sleeping in the truck out of the question?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the idea of wrapping individual arms in bubble wrap.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#13]
"4-5 days" to go from Oregon to MN/WI/IA (I assume that's where you mean by "upper midwest")?  Shouldn't take you more than three, with two nights in motels, unless you're visiting friends and taking a side trip to Las Vegas on the way.  Be careful of the steep hills and mountain passes if you're going through WY or the Reno area.  I got my rental U-Haul (engine governed at a max of either 65 or 70mph) up over 80 on one downslope in WY.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Where in the midwest are ya moving too?

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#15]
An outside the box suggestion related to preventing damage.

Use the gun socks.

With help, lay the vault on its back.

Fill with packing peanuts.

close door and lock.

stand up and strap it in the trailer.

reverse proceedure at destination.

Just a thought!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Would I be OK with a CW traveling from Oregon to the upper midwest? I do have an Oregon CHL.

If you are coming through MN, don't be packing here unless you also have a MN CCW permit.  The last I heard we do not have reciprocity with any other states.

In ND you can have a firearm uncased in the vehicle but not loaded according to the game & fish rules.  I don't know what their CCW law is.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Kansas is an open carry state.  Or at least they were.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#18]
If you're renting a "U-Haul", plan on 6-8 days with breakdowns.

I seriously would not rent U Haul.  You'd be much happier with Penske.  U Hauls are total crap.

As for the guns, what I normally do is wrap 2 guns per HD quilted shipping blanket.  If you have bolt actions, take the bolt out to minimize the protrusion.  This has worked on many, m-a-n-y occasions for me.

Regarding the dolly vs. trailer;  You are generally better off purchasing a used dolly or trailer.  A trailer rental will run you 800ish.  You can purchase a good used trailer for about the same money.  A used dolly will run you about 300 and you don't have to register it.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

We will be moving to the areas arround Lansing, MI; Dayton, OH; or Indianapolis, IN. It all depends on where my wife gets her best offer for grad school (phd).

One of you suggested that we rent through a different moving agency. U-Haul is it for our little community of 4,500 people out here in the High Desert.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We will be moving to the areas arround Lansing, MI; Dayton, OH; or Indianapolis, IN. It all depends on where my wife gets her best offer for grad school (phd).

Take the job in Indy, even if it's for less $$.  Gun friendlier and cheaper cost-o-living.  Easier CHL/CCW, not to mention C3.  Cool hometown Arfcommers as well (no offense to all you Wolvereens).

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#21]
as they say, "been there, done that, got the T-shirt", Nebraska to Virginia. Sounds like you got a good plan with the safe and firearms. Just a couple of suggestions...

1) Don't jsut stay at "random motels" along the way. Use the internet, AAA, or whatever to plan the trip out in doable stages with reservations at motels in better/safer areas. We stayed at one place that had a fenced, gated and very well lit (stadium lights) parking lot with a 24hr guard/attendant and visible cameras. That was a sweet set-up. On the other hand we intended to stay at a place in/near Toledo, OH, as we pulled into the driveway and passed the hookers,pimps, junkies and other assorted Mad Max movie extras we pulled right on through and back onto the Interstate my Wife and myself agreeing that we would rather risk are lives with a sleepless night on the highway than get our throats slit in Toledo! Plan your route and plan where you are going to stay.

2) When you do stop for the night maybe pull the fuses that enable the ignition, fuel pump, etc or otherwise (temp.) disable the U-haul. Combined with your positioning and weight of the safe this should give you pretty good protection from theft. Also, try to find a wall that you can BACK the U-haul against to block the doors from opening.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't worry Makarov:

2) When you do stop for the night maybe pull the fuses that enable the ignition, fuel pump, etc or otherwise (temp.) disable the U-haul.

The U Haul will be disabled anyways.

Where on the high desert of OR are you moving from Krazy Karl?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#23]
80Fl,

We are moving from bustling Burns, Oregon. My wife's family is in Indy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Been through Burns on many occasions.  I've eaten at the DQ and bought my wife a picture from  the Big R in town.

Man, I miss the West.

Good luck in your move!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Once you get the safe loaded up, put pillows and/or blankets in garbage bags and stuff them into the safe to keep things from shifting around. The garbage bags will keep the pillows/blankets from getting dirty from gun oil/lube.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Put your long guns in gun socks, can't hurt. Get an inner tube of the correct diameter, position it in the middle of the safe and inflate it, forcing your stuff against the perimeter of the safe. Use cord to fasten the tube in position. Use two if you wish.

Putting the safe on it's back isn't a bad idea, PITA, but if you have any steep grades you might feel better. If it pulls the hardware out of the side of the truck it's gonna do some damage.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Use the gun socks.

close door and lock.

Just a thought!!

Out of the box?

Doesn't sound much different than my suggestion, just that mine doesn't involve a hernia.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I will be renting the largest U-Haul truck that I can find. Everything should be enclosed.....

Check out www.Penske.com.  They have a 26 foot truck with a lift gate you can rent very reasonably.  They'll even give you 10% discount if you reserve on-line.

When I do my "Escape from New York" here in about 5 months that's what I'll be using.....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Use the gun socks.

close door and lock.

Just a thought!!

Out of the box?

Doesn't sound much different than my suggestion, just that mine doesn't involve a hernia.

Different in that you can make individual adjustments to weapon location as you fill with peanuts, and you can be sure you get a complete fill with no chance of areas that do not fill.  Not totally counting on gravity to fill voids with a very light peanut subject to "static cling" because of a static elecrticity build-up that sometimes happens with styrofoam peanuts.  

Not meaning to trash your version.  I was thinking of my vault and my collections of weapons.  Because of the layout of my vault with shelves for pistols, the board and fill from the top would not work.  The only way to get a complete fill to prevent voids and shifting would be the lay down, full and stack weapons, close and stand up.

A job due to weight... Oh yeah!

Candidly... I did not see your post until after I posted mine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Forget U-Haul, Go with a Penske truck. There is no comparison.

I moved last year. I've got a 4 door Tacoma pickup. I cased everything I could, then bought enough gun socks for the rest. My backseat was loaded from the floor to the headrests with guns. I bought a few more ammo cans so I would have enough for all my ammo. The bed of my little Taco was lined with ammo cans. I loaded a few other items on top of the ammo cans and put a tarp over the whole mess.

I had two nervious nights on the road, staying in hotels. But I wasn't going to allow the moving company to take my guns, and they wouldn't move my ammo.

Seriously, scrap the Uhaul idea. Budget/Ryder is better than Uhaul and Penske is better than either one. I rented a 25 foot Penske truck in 2002. It had a 502 Chevy big block and an Allison automatic, the Rocky Mountains were a breeze. And it used LESS gas than an 18 foot Budget boxvan  I rented a couple of months earlier.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Kansas is an open carry state.  Or at least they were.

speaking as a KS resident for the first 2/3 of my life:  Kansas is not an open (or any other kind) of carry state.
Look at packing.org - it looks like they're trying again, and maybe you can carry if it's in plain view and unloaded now , but I wouldn't chance it.   KS is a gun hostile state unless you're a hunter.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#32]
I will look into Ryder even though the nearest one is 120 miles away.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd worry more bout someone stealing the whole truck than breaking into the safe. Crooks will look at your  caravan and know your moving, and  they'll know all your stuff is in the truck.  Protect the whole truck from theft.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of you suggested that we rent through a different moving agency. U-Haul is it for our little community of 4,500 people out here in the High Desert.

Well if you go to dayton be shure and stop by millers for the next ARFCOM shoot!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#35]

I'd worry more bout someone stealing the whole truck than breaking into the safe. Crooks will look at your caravan and know your moving, and they'll know all your stuff is in the truck. Protect the whole truck from theft.

Gunslinger has a good point.

I guess I'd go with U-Haul after all.  When the truck is stolen, it most likely will break down in the hotel parking lot, so you won't have to look hard to find it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Sleep in the van overnight.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry to re-visit an older thread:

We will be moving to South Bend, IN sometime in July and was wondering if you guys would suggest that I pull the trailer with the moving truck or my own Dodge 2500 CTD. The trailer will have my wife's 95 S10 blazer on it (maybe 4500 pounds???). I was not very excited about putting wear and tear on my own truck by towing with it. But if the moving van minus a trailer will have greater probability on getting to South Bend without breaking down than I will consider my options.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Uhauls are not total crap.  I am a customer service rep for a Uhaul center/dealer in St. Louis, MO.  Yes, some of the trucks have seen better days but we are replacing those with new vehicles every day.  More than 75% of the trucks on our lot right now have less than 40,000 on them.  A 26' truck with an auto transport should get you to your desination quite nicely.  The guns in the the gun socks in the safe sounds like a great idea.  Also, Uhaul offers the safemove insurance which covers the uhaul truck, everything in the truck, any trailers, and the vehicle being towed on the trailer.  If i were moving I would definitely go with the insurance as cheap as it is.

Edit-spelling
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't bother with the packing peanuts int the safe.

Use all your extra towels or sheets to fill the space.
Use small boxes filled with other gun things if you have larger open volume in the safe too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top