Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 1:10:45 PM EDT
www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/13778163.htm

Cameraman in Chino airman shooting arrested on warrant

GREG RISLINGAssociated PressSAN BERNARDINO, Calif.

The man who videotaped a sheriff's deputy shooting an unarmed Air Force security officer was arrested Friday for an alleged assault in Florida, officials said. Meanwhile, the wounded airman's family gathered outside sheriff's headquarters and demanded the deputy's arrest.

Amateur cameraman Jose Luis Valdez was taken into custody by Pomona police on a Dade County, Fla., warrant alleging he used a weapon to assault an elderly woman in Miami, said two federal immigration officials.

The warrant came up during a routine background check when Valdez went to an immigration office for an interview to renew his alien registration "green card," according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because their agencies did not handle the arrest.

Valdez, contacted by cell phone, confirmed he had been arrested but said the only problem he had in Miami was an arrest for driving under the influence. He did not elaborate about that arrest, but said authorities wanted to send him back to Florida within 24 hours.

"They want to get me out of California as soon as possible," Valdez said in Spanish. "They say I was involved in gunfire in Miami."

He did not provide other details.

Valdez taped the scene Sunday night after a car involved in a brief high-speed chase crashed into a wall by his home, 35 miles east of Los Angeles. Senior Airman Elio Carrion was a passenger in the car driven by a friend.

The tape showed Carrion on the ground talking with San Bernardino County sheriff's Deputy Ivory J. Webb, who stood pointing a gun at him. A recorded voice appeared to be commanding Carrion to "get up." As Carrion began to rise, the deputy fired three shots into him.

Carrion, 21, an Air Force security officer recently back from Iraq, was shot three times and was hospitalized in good condition.

Webb, 45, who has more than 10 years with the department, was placed on paid administrative leave.

The FBI has opened a civil rights investigation of the shooting but Carrion's family said Friday that more must be done.

"My family is outraged because this person hasn't been arrested and is on paid vacation," Carrion's wife, Mariela, said at a news conference.

She said her husband was doing "good."

Attorney Luis Carrillo, who represents Carrion's family, said federal authorities should arrest the deputy for civil rights violations if local authorities do not make an arrest.

"Their son is a hero," Carrillo said. "He went to Iraq and thank God he didn't get a bullet, but he comes home and he gets three bullets...."

Carrillo also said the arrest of Valdez appeared to be "some kind of retribution on a good Samaritan who taped something that law enforcement didn't want the public to see."

The Sheriff's Department had not contacted the Carrion family since the shooting and had no comment on the demand for an arrest, spokeswoman Jodi Miller said.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that is a quite a coincidence.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow...amazing how quickly the law can find and arrest a green card holder who apparently was up to no good 3000 miles away when he happened to catch a seemingly unjustified shooting by a LEO on tape.....

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

No shit.......

Wow is right.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Too funny.

ETA: So you guys think he should be given a pass on his charges from Miami?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#6]
What the hell is this guy doing criss-crossing the country.  I suspect that would clear up a lot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't mess with "the man".
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Too funny.

I didn't think it was funny.......it's weird.

If he's a scumbag.......put his ass in jail.

If it is some trumped up BS.......some fuckin heads should roll.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What the hell is this guy doing criss-crossing the country.  I suspect that would clear up a lot.

He's probably not criss-crossing.

It's probably an NCIC Soundex hit on the name, which happens all the time. Most times, a 3rd grader could read the hits and determine it's not the same person. CA LEO's are probably telling FL that they definitely have their guy, and once he gets shipped back there, it will be immediately discovered that he's not the guy, but he was arrested and transported "in good faith" believing it was him.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Too funny.

I don't beleive there are any "real" charges in Miami to get a "pass" for.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Does someone need permission to move from Florida to California? I must have missed that memo. Dude is probably a scumbag, but I just found the timing interesting.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#14]
How dare they arrest him for a warrant?

What do they think he is, some kind of criminal?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Its not coincidence that crooks grab video cameras when they see the cops on their street.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does someone need permission to move from Florida to California?

If your an immigrant you should.  INS should be notified of any change of address and subject to their approval.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

People move across the country all the time. My sister moved from Wisconsin to Georgia and my brother from Washington to Arizona in the past year.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Can't say I blame them, after all he IS wanted for a crime. However, if anything odd happens that looks like they are trying to shut him up or punish him (treatment that another green card holder with that charge wouldn't receive) then I would be suspicious.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does someone need permission to move from Florida to California?

If your an immigrant you should.  INS should be notified of any change of address and subject to their approval.

Is that the law? I should hope it is, but I do not know.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Tag for whole story.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Can't say I blame them, after all he IS wanted for a crime. However, if anything odd happens that looks like they are trying to shut him up or punish him (treatment that another green card holder with that charge wouldn't receive) then I would be suspicious.

Why would they want to shut him up? He made the tape, the tape is in widespread circulation. Nothing more he can add to the case.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I hope he knows to lay prone and never follow directions if an officer has a gun pointed at you
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's probably not criss-crossing.

It's probably an NCIC Soundex hit on the name, which happens all the time. Most times, a 3rd grader could read the hits and determine it's not the same person. CA LEO's are probably telling FL that they definitely have their guy, and once he gets shipped back there, it will be immediately discovered that he's not the guy, but he was arrested and transported "in good faith" believing it was him.

You think there might be more than one guy named Jose Valdez in South Florida and Southern California ? Highly unlikely......

j/k

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#24]
My personal feeling is he was to hot to get his face on the camera.  We never see that heppen do we?  And then as the Miami guys were watching and gloating.  "Look that LA guy got his ass in a crack, those guys sure are screwups."  "Hey, wait! Aint that the guy we were looking for last year?" "Holy shit it sure his.  Let's call them and get him hooked up."
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would they want to shut him up? He made the tape, the tape is in widespread circulation. Nothing more he can add to the case.

I thought the tape was supposedly 'in the custody' of the sheriff's department and they were refusing any access to it ?  least that's what I heard last week, I think.

Something new happen since ?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the tape was supposedly 'in the custody' of the sheriff's department and they were refusing any access to it ?  least that's what I heard last week, I think.

It's all over the news and internet.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

the original is. The cameraman made a copy on DVD before he turned it over
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with you, it doesn't make any sense. So what I said is mostly a moot point.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds to me like a blatant attempt to discredit the primary witness to a possible act of police brutality.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then let's see it.

Where's the link?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not necessarily. Juries can be prejudiced. Discrediting witnesses is half the legal process. It may not always work, but attempting to cast doubt on a person's character or credibility is a very common legal tactic.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Wrong. He has his green card and is a permanent resident. All he has to do is renew his green card and carry it with him. He does not have to get approval from INS for anything.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#33]
tag for video
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then let's see it.

Where's the link?

Google Video has it
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Sounds to me like a blatant attempt to discredit the primary witness to a possible act of police brutality.

Exactly!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#36]
What's with digging up month old posts just to add a one-word reply?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
What's with digging up month old posts just to add a one-word reply?

What's with you deciding how I can or can't use my membership?

For what it's worth, I didn't notice or pay attention to the date.  The link was pasted to me, and I read it, and responded.  I thought it was a live thread.  Apparently it's not, but since you decided to play moderator, now it's getting bumped yet again.

Pat yourself on the back.

Do you get a free junior staff handbook and little plastic pilot wings when you join arfcom these days?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then let's see it.

Where's the link?

Google Video has it

Shit...

He tells the guy to get up and then he caps him.

That guy needs to be in jail.

<eta>
Just saw that this is a resurection.
Funny how everybody shut up after the link was posted.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#39]
www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-airman08.htmlThe guy got charged with attempted voluntary manslaughter. Not attempted murder...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#40]
So what happened to the guy who made the video?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
If you bring attention to yourself people are going to look.

I arrested a guy the other day because he happened to want to be in the middle of a situation I was investigating and I found he had a warrant.  

Sometimes it is just the way the ball bounces and sometimes it hits you in the face.

EXACTLY!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top