Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2006 8:55:22 PM EDT
Well, that was an interesting three months.
I was meritoriously promoted to PFC as i was a squadleader and a scribe.
I did well at everything, shot expert, 294 PFT with pneumonia and 1st class swim qualification.

While the 3 months obviously sucks at times it is 100% worth it and i am a much better person now than i was before and i can't wait to begin SOI.  Oh, i am a 0300.

IF any of the folks on here are considering joining the Corps and have any questions on recruit training just ask.

I can't wait for SOI to start.

I am glad to be back on the boards, even if it is just for 10 days.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations. Boot Marine! Welcome to the family.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations Marine!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the Corps Marine!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats Marine, welcome to the club and Semper Fi.

As my Senior Drill Instructor used to say, "Small price to pay for being one of the world's finest!"

That was back in 1976.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations.
Boot...
Just got back from Iraq some of 1st Mar Div is over in Iraq right now.
Stay out of trouble, and get to SOI.
KILL ...

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations and thank you for your service.

PS. I'm thinking of joining the reserves this summer, what do you think was the hardest part for you and what do you have to do to get honor grad? Thanks again.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Semper Fi Marine!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats man. From what I've heard though, SOI sucks compared to the Parris Island experience. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome to the brotherhood. You have created a bond with men you won't meet for years to come. And when you do meet them you'll find you knew them already.

Congrats! and Semper Fi!

Vic out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrads!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:44:08 AM EDT
[#11]
OOORAH!! Good job Marine! Keep up the good work! Recon may be giving you a call.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:45:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Congrats man. From what I've heard though, SOI sucks compared to the Parris Island experience. YMMV.

So you only " heard " huh? Two different animals there feller.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:05:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Congrats MARINE!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Where did they send you for boot? Were the drill sargeants really as nice as the recruiters said they were?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Congratulations Marine. You are now a memeber of a special group of men. I wish I could do it over again and once more be a proud young Marine.  Charles The Gunsmith.  CWO-3 USMC (ret)

ETA: In my day it was called 'ITR', Infantry Training Regiment. Is this now called 'SOI'?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Congratulations Marine. You are now a memeber of a special group of men. I wish I could do it over again and once more be a proud young Marine.  Charles The Gunsmith.  CWO-3 USMC (ret)

ETA: In my day it was called 'ITR', Infantry Training Regiment. Is this now called 'SOI'?

Gunner,

I'm not sure when the name was changed.  I went through in 92' and it was called School of Infrantry then.

SgtH
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:32:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I have 4 relatives in the Corps that I speak to on a regular basis, along with 3 close friends who are active duty. I've also read numerous accounts where recent graduates from Parris Island find to be alot more motivating and life changing than SOI. I know alot about the Corps for someone who isn't in yet, but I will be attending OCS this summer as I was accepted into the PLC program in January. I'm offering info that I've heard from many sources that have been there/done that. So please, get off your high horse.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Congratulations. You just finished the easiest part of life in the Marine Corps.

Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Where did they send you for boot? Were the drill sargeantsinstructors really as nice as the recruiters said they were?

Fixed.

If he is truly from Wyoming, like his profile said, then he would have went to San Diego, where real marines are made.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:48:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Welcome.  You will remember your boot graduation date the rest of your life.  Not the specifics so much as the date.

Didn't it just suck ass standing outside of the chow hall watching the Airlines take off?  It was surreal finally getting on the plane and watching MCRD grow smaller and smaller.

If you stay in long enough and have the opportunity apply for the Drill Field.  I sometimes regret bailing after five years to go to college.  I have a couple of buddies who did drill duty and they loved it.

Hopefully in 16 years I'll be watching my first born graduate MCRD.

JS

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks SgtHoskins. Charles.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Congratulations young Marine, I am sure you will do the Corps proud!

Dram out
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Well done. I consider anyone who has survived Marine Recruit Training to be automatically worthy of my respect, simply on the basis that they have shown that they won't quit.

Even if they were dumb enough to join the Corps...

*Runs for cover*

NTM
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Semper Fi!!!! Little Brother  Welcome to the Club.........     7051  Crash Fire Rescue   1985-1991
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Semper Fi Marine .
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Well done!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Well, that was an interesting three months.
I was meritoriously promoted to PFC as i was a squadleader and a scribe.
I did well at everything, shot expert, 294 PFT with pneumonia and 1st class swim qualification.

While the 3 months obviously sucks at times it is 100% worth it and i am a much better person now than i was before and i can't wait to begin SOI.  Oh, i am a 0300.

IF any of the folks on here are considering joining the Corps and have any questions on recruit training just ask.

I can't wait for SOI to start.

I am glad to be back on the boards, even if it is just for 10 days.

Let me know if you ever go to MOUT town, Ill be sure to be nice enough to shoot you up with SIM. CONGRATS
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where did they send you for boot? Were the drill sargeantsinstructors really as nice as the recruiters said they were?

Fixed.

If he is truly from Wyoming, like his profile said, then he would have went to San Diego, where real marines are made.

PI is harder...they even turn women into men!!!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Semper FI Marine!!!

Hope you got the good sunglasses in Sandy Eggo... ( I did )

Ted...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

It changed around 86' or so. It was a couple of months old when I went through myself. Same school ,different name.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks gentlemen. Charles.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I have 4 relatives in the Corps that I speak to on a regular basis, along with 3 close friends who are active duty. I've also read numerous accounts where recent graduates from Parris Island find to be alot more motivating and life changing than SOI. I know alot about the Corps for someone who isn't in yet, but I will be attending OCS this summer as I was accepted into the PLC program in January. I'm offering info that I've heard from many sources that have been there/done that. So please, get off your high horse.

Yup,you'll be a good officer. Don't take into consideration someone who has been there and done that and has YEARS on you.Someone who has already proven time and time again they had what it takes. Typical officer way of thinking.You guys will never change.  I thought I knew a lot about the 'Corps as well before I went in.  
Anyway,sorry to hi-jack.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Semper Fi Marine!

SSGT 93-99
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup,you'll be a good officer. Don't take into consideration someone who has been there and done that and has YEARS on you.Someone who has already proven time and time again they had what it takes. Typical officer way of thinking.You guys will never change.  I thought I knew a lot about the 'Corps as well before I went in.  
Anyway,sorry to hi-jack.

Then you come up with the gem of, "Don't take into consideration someone who has been there and done that and has YEARS on you.Someone who has already proven time and time again they had what it takes." I'm pretty sure I am considering the opinion of someone who has been there. Reading comprehension is your friend. I wouldn't have responded how I did had you not made the statement, "So you only " heard " huh? Two different animals there feller." Completely unwarranted and condescending. I passed on the info I've heard from enlisted Marines that I know. And yes, I will be a good officer, because I know my job is to serve my men. Sorry to hi-jack as well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Congrats MARINE!   Good luck at SOI.

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Semper Fi, 0311 1984-86
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Congrats, personally I'm hoping t become an officer by attending PLC summer of 2007.  COuldn't go this year cause of my damn jaw injury.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted: Fixed. If he is truly from Wyoming, like his profile said, then he would have went to San Diego, where real marines are made.
PI is harder...they even turn women into men!!!!

Well heck, maybe the USAF might be the better route.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Walrus and coondog, please don't shit in this young Leatherneck's thread.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Congrats, God speed and thank you for your service.

DD
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks guys.
Yea i was at MCRD in SD and i didn't appreciate the airplanes but they don't wake you up at night or anything.
OH and for the guys with the SOI question:  They call it SOI and when you are there you are in the ITB (Infantry Training Battalion).

Oh, and the Drill Instructors are very kind and gentle.  It's like Church Camp.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Congratulations, MARINE! You have now joined a truly unique fraternity that you will belo ng to for the remainder of your life. You have a lot to uphold in you tour of duty. As time goes by it will come to mean more to you than you will know. Whatever you decide to do, do it to the best of your ability and you will not be disappointed.

Semper Fi, MAC!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted: Oh, and the Drill Instructors are very kind and gentle.  It's like Church Camp.
That puts my mind at ease.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Semper Fi Mac!!

Anytime you are in Washington let us know and we'll buy you a beer and let you make fun of the Air Force and Army guys.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Congratulations, Marine.

Don't forget what you learned at Parris Island, even when you get to the Fleet. That's when you need it the most.

All Marines can be leaders, and all leaders don't always follow the crowd nor are they always the popular guy. Leaders are the RESPECTED ones, for their accomplishments, qualities, and abilities.

Thank you for your committment to our country's service. Semper Fidelis.

CPL '02-'05
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Show me your war face!!!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Walrus and coondog, please don't shit in this young Leatherneck's thread.

Yeah,I hear ya . For some reason, I thought he was putting him down. Guess I'm too quick to stand up for my fellow Marines. An IM will be sent to Walrus in good faith.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top