Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/5/2006 4:43:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 5:14:07 PM EDT by BigAKFan]
I am 26 with 3 kids and just had a right total hip replacement December 21. I am in the process of recovering and will be signed off by the doctor 10 months from surgery. Assuming the doctor says that I can join the military, will the Navy accept me?

I talked with the Recruiter that my brother went through and he said once the doctor signs off on me he will push my application through. He said that my application needs to be approved by the top man in the country for Navy recruiting because I have 3 kids.

Does anybody here know if the Navy accepts people with artificial hips? I am honestly expecting them to say no but I really hope for them to say yes!

Last question: Does anybody know how long the training for a Master at Arms takes and where it is held? I am hearing first Texas then Cuba.

Thanks for the answers. BigAKFan
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:14:32 PM EDT
Any answers anyone?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:20:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BigAKFan: Any answers anyone?
Sorry man, I've never heard of anyone with that type of surgery in the ranks.

The closest I've seen is a guy with major foot surgery going into the Coast Guard. Last time I heard, his case was still pending with medical bureau.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:22:28 PM EDT
I don't know about going in with an artificial hip, but I do know of one person who was given his walking papers after his hip was hurt and he got an artificial one. I never asked if he was given the choice or not. It always sounded like he didn't have much choice.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:23:43 PM EDT
Ive nerver heard of such a thing, but I have heard of waivers for just about anything. It all depends if the Navy is upsizing or downsizing...and wether or now you can still run 1.5 miles in under 14 minutes or whatever the time is.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:24:28 PM EDT
Sorry, your a No-Go, MEPS won't let you pass.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:26:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BigAKFan:
I am 26 with 3 kids and just had a right total hip replacement December 21. I am in the process of recovering and will be signed off by the doctor 10 months from surgery. Assuming the doctor says that I can join the military, will the Navy accept me?

I talked with the Recruiter that my brother went through and he said once the doctor signs off on me he will push my application through. He said that my application needs to be approved by the top man in the country for Navy recruiting because I have 3 kids.

Does anybody here know if the Navy accepts people with artificial hips? I am honestly expecting them to say no but I really hope for them to say yes!

Last question: Does anybody know how long the training for a Master at Arms takes and where it is held? I am hearing first Texas then Cuba.

Thanks for the answers. BigAKFan

Girl i used to work with, her husband had a hip replacement while in the navy. Not sure if he was eventually discharged due to that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:17:08 PM EDT
I didn't get the answer I was hoping for, but, thanks to all.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:15:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 11:19:15 PM EDT by PaDanby]
Whatever you do, don't lie about it. You might get through, and in, but if anything happens later and it gets found, the answers to the questions asked at that time will be damned embarassing at best.

You often will see "advice" about concealing things to get through MEPS, but it is a crap shoot.

Do you have applicable civilian experience for the MA rate? That might be enough to help get through the approval process. Specialized training and experience in desired fields can often help when the services are looking for people. Also you might, I say again "MIGHT" have a shot at getting into the Reserves with one through an APG Advanced Pay Grade program. Once in the Reserves you might (again might) be able to transfer over.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:41:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 11:48:19 PM EDT by vito113]
Top Top