User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 3:38:29 PM EDT
;
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#1]
mech, more guns, less gear to carry individually and armored vehicles
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what the mission is! Rolling along, destroying what lies it their path or sneaking into an area and performing selective tasks. Both have their share of pro's & con's.

GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I say mechanized, they just can kick more ass, what say you?

Airborne.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Airborne.

light infantry is little more than a speedbump in open environments when facing mech troops
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a bit biased, spent 3yrs light infantry and only 1 mech.

I seen more training opprotunities as Light than Mech.  IMHO, Light is/has to be more resourceful.

If I was a hadj, I wouldn't choose either one of them to go up against
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Airborne.

light infantry is little more than a speedbump in open environments when facing mech troops

Let me know when you can have a brigade of mechanized infantry on the ground ready to fight, anywhere in the world, on 18 hours notice.

Even light infantry has weapons that can take out any known main battle tank in the world.  Its a hell of alot easier to hide a grunt with a javelin than a Bradley.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#9]
METT-T dependant.

Mech isn't going to do well in a triple canopy jungle for instance.

Hopefully the leadership of the mech guys doesn't
figgure that if a vehicle has tracks and, a turret it's a tank.

Mech gives a superior base of fire for manuver, and, of course,
the ability to manuver quickly on an open battlefield.
Mech, though, has a weakness in that it is weak on dismounts,
which are needed to kick doors, and, for built up/restrictive
terrain.

Light has the ability to be utilized in a forced entry scenerio in
a non-permissive area that does not border a coast/allied country.
Depends on thier capability, of course....Airborne/AASULT and that.

For the record, most heavy/mech units aren't trained to the standard
of Airborne or light units, becasue of all the time sucked up in the motor
pool, and, the supposition of American leadership that you can't be
"elite" and wear a funny hat with a color other than black if you are in a heavy unit.

I grew so tired of this arguement when I was in.

People just can't get on board with the combined arms concept.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

heavy fuel requirements.  add a maintenance section to take care of them.  PMCS becomes a serious issue when you go from light to heavy.  NO GO terrain is suddenly out for you, whereas if you were a leg, no fuel, no mechanics to deal with, little PMCS, and a NO GO jungle is suddenly your friend.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I did 3.5 on the light side and 2 years in mech.  I'd gladly walk my ass before going back to mech.  Those guys (and I know this is unit specific) were the worse group of people I have ever met.  In Hoffenels we were dead as a Bn within 20 minutes during almost every engagement.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#12]
In my experience both light and mech, light infantry units are "generally" more proficient in their skills, there are far fewer training distractions.

That being said, a light unit can't begin to match the combat power of a mechanized unit.

Some of the other posts have listed some of the reasons for this

YMMV

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Iwould have to say its mission and terrain dependant.  

A light unit against a mech unit in open country will probably go to the mech - especially with the rest of the package that goes with mech (supporting tanks, MLRS/SP Arty, Engineers, etc).  In mountains, heavy urban, thick jungle, or soft swampy ground the lightfighters will have an edge.  

Light has the advantage of strategic mobility - wheels up in 18 hours enroute to anywhere in the world.  However, once they get there, their tactical manuverability is rather poor as far as distance they can travel.

Mech has piss poor strategic manuverability - on a boat within a few days, in country in a few weeks (not including POMCUS). Once they get there however, they have far greater tactical manuverability than the light troops - assuming the terrain isn't too Brad/Abrams unfriendly.  

I think that medium infantry holds alot of potential.  Strykers with infantry will blend both tactical and strategic manuverability, even if their firepower won't be the equal of a heavy mech unit.  Add light tanks- the M8, Stingray, AGS, Sheridans, etc. - and the lightfighters will have an even greater firepower edge while still retaining their strategic mobility.

-K
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#14]
That is one bad-ass mech.  The Fafnir can really kick ass in the NEW version of MW4 (NBT-HC).

In CBT, the Fafnir is a tough cookie, too.  

But... I'd rather be mech infantry than light infantry.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#15]
JMO Light Infantry should be in BN sized units, used where needed.

Armor/Mech Troops should be the defacto formation.  Have the dismounts do LI training and the vehicle crew maintain the vehicle.  Build a larger IFV.  Who cares if it weighs 50 tons, make it carry a 9+ man dismount and a crew of three or four with the firepower of a bradley.

Make light light, and mech heavy.  Keep motorized units as the "medium" units since we already bought them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#16]
It just seems like light infantry takes alot more casualties from IED's in Iraq, mech can survive alot of stuff light just cannot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It just seems like light infantry takes alot more casualties from IED's in Iraq, mech can survive alot of stuff light just cannot.

That's tactics dependant, not unit type dependant.

The newer IEDs are fully capable of takeing out a Brad.

Remember that entire squad of Marines that got cooked in thier AAV?

There are some scenerios where Mech is more survivable, but, somthing
to keep in mind is that if you are in a Bradly you are in the tallest, loudest,
and most visible thing on the battlefield.

That's never a good thing.

The medium units really seem to be doing well, though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The same could be said about being hit by a car. Would you rather be hit by a car while in another car or walking down the side of the road. I know, I wouldn't want to be hit by a car either way. As it has been mentioned earlier, both types of Infantry have advantages & disadvantages.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted: I say mechanized, they just can kick more ass, what say you?
Which one has more access to hot showers?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Been there on both. Always thought a taxi ride to the battle was were it was. I was wrong. Put me on my feet anyday over a track,
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I was light infantry for all my time.  While we were jealous of the mech battalion, I agree with 82ndAbn - there was definitely more time to train in the field when you were light infantry.

But it was nice to have the mech battalion on-base.  When platoons got really dirty - after a day of seriously playing in the mud - we'd wash off the men using the high-powered pressure washers for the APC's.      As a recruit, I was pressure washed several times, and did it to my own platoon when I was in command.  And while it sounds cruel, it sure helps make the uniform and gear easier to clean for the morning inspection when everything you are issued is covered in an inch of sticky mud.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
How well do you run?

last PT test was a 13:30...

I'm light now I was just curios of the boards opinions
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Can i go with the Arfcom way....

I'll take BOTH.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Airborne.

Mechanized is little more than an albatross around your neck in difficult terrain.

Have fun with those tracks in the swamps and mountains.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Never understood where they got that (LIGHT) shit in Light Infantry.   Nothing I ever carried was light.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Urban combat LT Inf  They get better & more training for that environment.
Open terrain Mech Inf.

It is alot of work to maintain an APC. It can be destroyed easily with any old RPG.
It is a large unmistakable Target. But fun to ride or drive a whole lot easier than walking.

4.2" Mortars 3/12 INF(M)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:27:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Its always nicer to ride than hump a ruck. More time in the motor pool while the leg guys are already sipping a beer is the trade-off.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:34:38 AM EDT
[#30]
You guys argue over which type of force is superior. In the meantime, I'll be using ALL of them in coordinated action to dismantle whichever is your favorite.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:40:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:42:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You guys argue over which type of force is superior. In the meantime, I'll be using ALL of them in coordinated action to dismantle whichever is your favorite.

good point.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#33]
I LOVED light Infantry I got to walk EVERYfingwhere....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I've spent considerable time as both light and mech infantry.  

We used to say "Travel light, freeze at night."  

I prefered being mech.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#35]
I was mech but never served crew.  I liked the ground.  Drop my sorry ass off in the mud and I'll find the way while the BFV can be the target.  I like humping around!  I miss the Army
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#36]
was in a mech unit in germany in the late 80's,and alot of times our tracks would be red-lined just for sitting in the motor pool for a week. a red-line meant that it could'nt even be moved w/o being seen by a mechanic.they would 've broke down before we made it to the border to stop the russkies. mech is a cluster fuck,IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#37]
I dunno, but my MP company has more weaponry then a light infantry company.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I dunno, but my MP company has more weaponry then a light infantry company.

?

Educate me on this.

-K
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Well, my squad and a half of 10 soldiers had 3 MK-19's, 4 M249's, 6 M4's, 4 M203's, 10 M9's, and 2 Shotguns, as well as 3 AT-4's if the mission was anything other then a convoy.

Exchange the MK-19's with an M2 in some companies, and M249's with the 240 sometimes too.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Tallbill, which UA are you in. 1BCT's MP PSG and I are pretty good buds.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#41]
I was in the Light Inf. Lets through another in the mix, AirMobile. You get to ride in helo's to get there and you have your gunships to take out their mech stuff.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

You'll get smoked when you spill your drink in your lap, General Armchair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top