Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2006 2:13:53 PM EDT

Why can't they just sing it instead of all the artsy fluff??
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#1]
as long as they dont screw it up what does it matter?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

A little late they did
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF over, that was almost a disgrace to the song.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Each year the Superbowl becomes more of a PC event, embracing other cultures.  This year is another long stride down that road.

(Note that when the flag marched out, they paid tribute to two "great American heroes" - recently deceased black women)
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I changed the channel after "O say can you see".
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Each year the Superbowl becomes more of a PC event, embracing other cultures.  This year is another long stride down that road.

(Note that when the flag marched out, they paid tribute to two "great American heroes" - recently deceased black women)

Coretta Scott King is deserving of some recognition because of the work she and her husband did. They both earned a place in history.

Rosa Parks, in my opinion, doesn't rank anywhere near that.

That being said, the only time I have heard the National Anthem sung worse than in this superbowl was by Roseanne Barr.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]
My 5 year old daughter, said "dad that guy sounds like a girl, and he cant sing very well."

I told her that she was right and they were butchering a great anthem.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm just happy it didn't turn out worse.

They don't beleive in anything they're singing, so, I ddin't expect too much.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

As far as I know, Neville isn't a libtard. I think he is rather conservative and a pretty nice guy overall.

Nevertheless, I don't like his singing. Especially on the National Anthem.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You're not watching, are you?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're not watching, are you?

no
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Whaaa for the first superbowl broadcasted on a french public channel it was a masterpiece .

Now you can heal the hemorroids of the main singer.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I love the National Anthem, but I too was not moved at all by this rendition.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Coretta Scott King is deserving of some recognition because of the work she and her husband did. They both earned a place in history.

That being said, the only time I have heard the National Anthem sung worse than in this superbowl was by Roseanne Barr.

I thought that (Roseanne Barr) was at the World Series(Baseball not football).
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Just an observation.... but not just the anthem but the whole pregame show, singers, dancers were all black people.  Whats up with that? I feel discriminated against I dont like gospel music.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife was watching in the other room, I told her to stop torturing the cat, before I realised what it was.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Geez guys, it wasn't that bad.

I would've liked to have seen the "church choir" a little more.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I'm watching too. I missed the national anthem though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
People either love or hate Aaron Neville.  I love his rendition of Ave Maria.

Me too.  I didn't hear the National Anthem though.  I don't agree with the post who says Rosa Parks doesn't deserve any recognition.  I would think of all people she would over MLK's wife.  She took at stand at the very heart of the problem.  Considering people where lynched and murdered over a lot less it took a lot of bravery.

So with that said, what's the score?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#21]
It sucked!!

Fire the asshole that hired the singer.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#22]
The superbowl's today?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted: My wife was watching in the other room, I told her to stop torturing the cat, before I realised what it was.
Yep, that's what it sounded like. I went on www.nfl.com/help/emailtech and wrote a complaint in their comment section via the pull-down "Superbowl Related".
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Her husband was an adulterous communist who claimed to be a Pastor of the Gospel. He earned a place in history, the hall of shame.

Rosa took a bold stand where almost all others succumbed to Jim Crow pressure daily. Getting lynched in the south in 1955 wasnt out of the question, think Emmet Till.

Man Im glad I missed that, shes a whiney screecher everytime she opens her piehole.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I thought it sucked also. Why can't they just sing it traditionaly instead of putting their own stupid slant on it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
WTF over, that was almost a disgrace to the song.

It was a total abomination of our National Anthem.  It seemed like more of a statement than a heartfelt song of love for our country.

Blake
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The superbowl's today?

Feigning a disdain for football will not make the pain of your lonely high school years go away.

Let it go, man.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#28]
The skit they did about the National Anthem on SNL was very funny, almost as funny as the real thing today.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The skit they did about the National Anthem on SNL was very funny, almost as funny as the real thing today.

+1

On a serious note, Marvin Gaye does ia stylized version right once, and they've gotten it wrong every single time since....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#30]
SUCKED!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#31]
They need to bring Jimi Hendrix back from the grave so he can show them how to play it right.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
They need to bring Jimi Hendrix back from the grave so he can show them how to play it right.

Ted Nugent's guitar version pwned Hendrix's version...Of course I didn't see the Hendrix version live...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I like Aretha...but I agree...why not have a REAL choir and an orchestra with flags and other patriotic "stuff"?

I'm sick of these nuveau rock anthems...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Made my stomach hurt.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The superbowl's today?

Feigning a disdain for football will not make the pain of your lonely high school years go away.

Let it go, man.

Spoken like a true   highschool jock.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#36]
DISGUSTING!!!!    Steve Bornstein, the NFL's executive vice president of media and president and CEO of NFL Network I think he is the one would should be telling but I cant find any contact info for him anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Eddie Van Halen could do one very similar, if not better.  

But I agree:  I wish whomever sung the our National Anthem would just do it right.  Since it like it is supposed to be sung.  Leave the "R&B" out of it.  If I wanted to hear someone immitating a bad bagpiper, I'd go to Scotland and listen to a German try to play the 'pipes.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Did anyone besides me notice that of the people they had a close-up on in the national anthem, only Condi Rice had her hand over her heart?

jd1
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Did anyone besides me notice that of the people they had a close-up on in the national anthem, only Condi Rice had her hand over her heart?

jd1

I was glad to see Condi.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.  I didn't hear the National Anthem though.  I don't agree with the post who says Rosa Parks doesn't deserve any recognition.  I would think of all people she would over MLK's wife.  She took at stand at the very heart of the problem.  Considering people where lynched and murdered over a lot less it took a lot of bravery.

You (And, all of You) know that the whole "Her not giving her seat up on the bus" thing was just a big set-up....Right???

Rosa parks was pretty high up in the NAACP at the time, and it was decided that she (With a photographer in tow) would make this "Act" to get the "Photo-op" and follow up photos at the police station.

This was all told buy the people who were there(and on her side) on a TV special just after her death.

You didn't think that there just happened to be someone with a camera nearby did you?

I had not known this, and was shocked to say the least. But after thinking about it, it made sense. Modern Liberals do this kind of thing all the time, so why not back then?

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

+1 its like when folks sind Amazing Grace, they dont actually believe in what they are singing. They feel its an opportunity for them to "improve"  upon perfection. Egotistical self important blowhards.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Everybody was hunched around the bean dip and chilling beers in the kitchen waiting for the game to start...

"What time is kickoff?"
"3:20 I think" (PST)
"That's pretty soon.  I wonder who's going to sing the National Anthem."
"I hadn't heard.  It's should be on right after this soul song....."
"Hey, turn that up a minute."

Entire room of mosty Vietnam Vets and their wives & kids goes wide eyed.

I've heard 8 year old girls do a more honorable and tearjerking rendition.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Just an observation.... but not just the anthem but the whole pregame show, singers, dancers were all black people.  Whats up with that? I feel discriminated against I dont like gospel music.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Disgraceful and disrespectful.

- BG
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Geez guys, it wasn't that bad.

I would've liked to have seen the "church choir" a little more.

It was terrible! What are you saying?  Did you have the volume on at all?
It was worse than awful.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
You (And, all of You) know that the whole "Her not giving her seat up on the bus" thing was just a big set-up....Right???

Rosa parks was pretty high up in the NAACP at the time, and it was decided that she (With a photographer in tow) would make this "Act" to get the "Photo-op" and follow up photos at the police station.

This was all told buy the people who were there(and on her side) on a TV special just after her death.

You didn't think that there just happened to be someone with a camera nearby did you?

I had not known this, and was shocked to say the least. But after thinking about it, it made sense. Modern Liberals do this kind of thing all the time, so why not back then?

I cant find anything supporting your allegation, according to Wikipedia,

After a day at work at Montgomery Fair department store, Parks boarded the Cleveland Avenue bus at around 6 p.m., Thursday, December 1, 1955, in downtown Montgomery. She paid her fare and sat in an empty seat in the first row of back seats reserved for blacks in the "colored" section, which was near the middle of the bus and directly behind the ten seats reserved for white passengers. Initially, she had not noticed that the bus driver was the same man, James Blake, who had left her in the rain in 1943. As the bus traveled along its regular route, all of the white-only seats in the bus filled up. The bus reached the third stop in front of the Empire Theater, and several white passengers boarded. Following standard practice, Blake noted that the front of the bus was filled with white passengers and there were two or three men standing, and thus moved the sign behind Parks and demanded that four black people give up their seats in the middle section so that the white passengers could sit.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't think anyone will ever come close to Whitney Houston singing it back in 1991.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ted Nugent's guitar version pwned Hendrix's version...Of course I didn't see the Hendrix version live...

That says it all right there.  As much as I like the Nuge, he cannot make a guitar talk like Hendrix did.

BTW, it is owned, not pwned.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tall Shadow

Even if it were true (big IF..someone here made that claim before with no proof when asked) that's called a planned demonstration...people do it all the time..Rosa and her husband received death threats via phone for years afterwards..you think you can take that sort of heat? It cracks me up...someone shows a little guts, inititiative and cunning when fighting for some rights and people cry foul. If it were so obvious that it was a media stunt then maybe the stupid fucks that arrested her should have left her alone huh?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top