The lawyers run the company.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You are a cool boss

No kidding.  You made his day, man.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#3]
That's how you change the world.  One small step at a time.  

May I suggest you pay a visit to Monster.com  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
That is how we should treat our servicemen.  As was written in the book Starship Troopers; "Service guarantees citizenship."
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Let's hope that works.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:05:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You'll be fired tomorrow.

IIRC, he's moving to Montana anyway to work an oil rig or something with his uncle.  So I doubt he cares about that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:19:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Someone in a mangement position that can *THINK*, *REASON* and use *SOUND JUDGEMENT*?

They need to clone your ass ASAP.

Can't we clone his brain instead??    

Nice job w4klr  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:25:41 AM EDT
[#8]
That was great. You have earned a lot of respect from me and quite a few others for your actions.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:57:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, he's moving to Montana anyway to work an oil rig or something with his uncle.  So I doubt he cares about that.

Wyoming
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:02:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Well done.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:17:45 AM EDT
[#11]
That a boy!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#12]
You are the man I hope to buy you a drink of your choice someday.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:32:32 AM EDT
[#13]
w4klr,

thank you !  We need many more Americans like you !

LB
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#14]

w4klr for pres!

you done good!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:42:11 AM EDT
[#15]
You did good.

My distaste for HR people diminished very slightly.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:14:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Good going!  Glad to see you made that decision.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:23:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, I arrived at work at about 8 this morning. At around 830, corporate gave me a call and told me to get set up for a conference call with the director of human resources and my general manager.

They told me to spill the beans on what happened, so I did.

I explained that I advised the employee to discontinue carrying of his weapon on company property or sponsored events, but did not terminate him based on the fact that he had a valid concealed weapon permit for the state of Florida. I also marked that he is an outstanding employee and is beneficial to a smooth operating environment within the kitchen.

3 people inquired me about his personality etc.

When asked if I had any other comments about the situation I told them:

Mypaperwork on him shows military background, which is a proficieny in firearm training and discipline.
His military background also includes serving in the Vietnam theatere.
The associate is always on time, excels at his job, makes a friendly and enjoyable work environment with laughter, but promotes professionalism within.
The employee has strong relationships with his co workers, is a good family man and promotes success within our company.
I have confidence that my decision was correct and that the company will benefit for many many moons by having him on the team.
My job description also included authority to interperet company policy and apply it to the company's benefit.

After going on for about 15 minutes about how I understand I am responsible for my decision, the director of HR said that based on what I told him, he agrees with my decision and assured me that no further action will be pursued.

My boss was silent. I can tell he is pissed. Oh well! What a nerve racking morning it is already.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Nicely done
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:32:19 AM EDT
[#19]
nice job.

but truthfully after reading your first post last night.i tought the update was going to be reading about you being fired, for not following company policy.

glad it worked out.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:35:47 AM EDT
[#20]
very well done, a refreshing dose of not-so-common sense and good judgement. And highly professional to boot!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Well, I arrived at work at about 8 this morning. At around 830, corporate gave me a call and told me to get set up for a conference call with the director of human resources and my general manager.

They told me to spill the beans on what happened, so I did.

I explained that I advised the employee to discontinue carrying of his weapon on company property or sponsored events, but did not terminate him based on the fact that he had a valid concealed weapon permit for the state of Florida. I also marked that he is an outstanding employee and is beneficial to a smooth operating environment within the kitchen.

3 people inquired me about his personality etc.

When asked if I had any other comments about the situation I told them:

Mypaperwork on him shows military background, which is a proficieny in firearm training and discipline.
His military background also includes serving in the Vietnam theatere.
The associate is always on time, excels at his job, makes a friendly and enjoyable work environment with laughter, but promotes professionalism within.
The employee has strong relationships with his co workers, is a good family man and promotes success within our company.
I have confidence that my decision was correct and that the company will benefit for many many moons by having him on the team.
My job description also included authority to interperet company policy and apply it to the company's benefit.

After going on for about 15 minutes about how I understand I am responsible for my decision, the director of HR said that based on what I told him, he agrees with my decision and assured me that no further action will be pursued.

My boss was silent. I can tell he is pissed. Oh well! What a nerve racking morning it is already.

Great job! Your boss can go screw himself!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:38:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Well done.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:40:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn fine work, sir.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:40:34 AM EDT
[#24]
NOW is the perfect time to invite your boss out for an EBR range session!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That's how you change the world.  One small step at a time.  

+1

Good job, my friend.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I would not fire him for carrying a gun.  I would fire him for being the kind of dumb ass that carries a Bersa, in an ankle holster, who drops it and doesnt notice...

Zero tolerance for careless gun handling.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:41:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Good job.  Doesn't surprise me one bit.  That is the way HR should work.  I personally like HR people.  So much so, in fact, that I sleep with one every night . (I'm not hitting on you, my wifey's an HR manager)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Good job.  Doesn't surprise me one bit.  That is the way HR should work.  I personally like HR people.  So much so, in fact, that I sleep with one every night . (I'm not hitting on you, my wifey's an HR manager)

::whew::

::wipes sweat from brow::

On the other hand, I thought I had a new friend
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:46:28 AM EDT
[#29]
glad everything turned out ok.  Wish we had more of you in HR.

Given any thoughts to cloning?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm glad it worked out...The sad thing is, the day after you leave, your boss will probably run that poor bastard off, And make up some kind of excuse like "he scared me".. or some shit. You did a fine job, and I commend you, but my gut feeling is your boss will seek revenge for you making him look like the jackass he is in front of the corporate people, and he'll do this by running this guy off for whatever reason he can fabricate.... I'd give this guy a heads up before you leave.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I'm glad it worked out...The sad thing is, the day after you leave, your boss will probably run that poor bastard off, And make up some kind of excuse like "he scared me".. or some shit. You did a fine job, and I commend you, but my gut feeling is your boss will seek revenge for you making him look like the jackass he is in front of the corporate people, and he'll do this by running this guy off for whatever reason he can fabricate.... I'd give this guy a heads up before you leave.

Agreed, if the boss isn't happy he'll of course find his way.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:57:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I agree, but until I'm gone, his job is protected unless of course he does screw up. The great thing about the HR Management authority for my company, is that the GM cannot terminate without authorization from HR.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#33]
It's so nice to hear a story that actually turned out the right way.

3 cheers to you for doing the right thing!

HH
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:04:20 AM EDT
[#34]
I am GM at an office where there is a no weapons policy.
I have made it pretty clear that I operate under a "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy.
Our HR Manager, on the other hand, is constantly asking me about guns, and before I moved to a different city (when I became GM) he had me bringing in handguns and holsters to show him ideas for himself.  So while we have a policy; it is really just words that aren't enforced.

Of course, they could always be selectively enforced, but I don't expect to ever be fired because of a weapon.  It may be the reason used, but if they wanted to get rid of me for something else, they may use the old gun excuse.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#35]
3 cheers to you for doing the right thing!

Hell yes!!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Policy instead of orders actually.

An employee on our kitchen staff was working behind the fry side of the kitchen today and got busy. I guess he was soo busy that the Bersa Thunder in his ankle holster came loose.

The gun dropped right on the floor, and he didn't realize it was there for about an hour he claims. Another employee saw the gun and freaked out. And went to the General Manager. The GM pulled the employee out of the kitchen immediately and didn't reprimand him. Instead, he left me to do the reprimand (HR Manager). He brought him in my office, told me to follow whatever corporate policy we have on weapons for this (he knows nothing about hr policy, which works to my advantage for this situation) and left my office.

My company has a zero tolerance on employees carrying a concealed weapon, permit or not, and calls for immediate termination.

He is a decent guy, former Marine, has 3 kids at home etc, and he makes fairly good money working for us.

The poor guy looked like he was going to break down at the thought of losing his job of 5 years. And started yapping. "Please don't, I have a concealed weapon permit" and other things like that.

So this is what I did:

I told him, under policy he should be terminated immediately, but as an HR manager, I have authority to interperet each situation etc. I told him that since he had a concealed weapon permit (after he showed me) that I had no reason to end his employment. I told him that I understood it was an honest mistake. Then I gave him a website for milt sparks, told him to get a 1911 and a versamax II holster and don't carry on company property, leave it secured in the car.

He lit up like a christmas tree knowing that I wasn't going to can him. I told him enjoy the superbowl and don't let it happen again, because I won't be able to let it slide again.

My boss came in an hour later and asked me if I terminated him. I said no.

"WHY NOT?! HE WAS WEARING A GUN!"

I understand that, and he was well within his constitutional right to do so.

(good thing he can't fire me, only corporate can)

Well Done!!!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:08:34 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Someone in a mangement HR position that can *THINK*, *REASON* and use *SOUND JUDGEMENT*?

They need to clone your ass ASAP.

I have a new found respect for those few in HR with common sense.

Mike

+1, we could use you at my company.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:12:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Wow. A respectable HR Manager.

I'm stunned.

I thought I had found one, once. She stabbed me in the back.

They should keep you under glass. You're one of a kind. Well done!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:13:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wyoming

Rock Springs?

Way to go with this whole situation, few people like you with a backbone anymore, Good Job!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Yup, Rock Springs of course, hope to be there by the end of march, NovaHokie, if the price is right I'll come out there
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#41]
So ya stand up for this guys 2nd ammendment freedoms and then you go work for the largest of all evil companies in America , Haliburton? I like it
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:24:27 AM EDT
[#42]

You guys are too funny
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#43]
From your posts it seems you were able to diffuse the situation by making your argument clearly and without a lot of drama. Staying calm and clear got you out of a situation that would have gotten a lot of folks fired..Good Job!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Someone in a mangement position that can *THINK*, *REASON* and use *SOUND JUDGEMENT*?

They need to clone your ass ASAP. You need to watch your ass. That shit won't be tolerated for long.

What you really meant to say.

Good job w4klr!! It's great to hear some one in management does have a brain and knows how to use it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Great work. Thanks for being the good guy.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Great job. You should be commended for your handling of the situation.

Let's face it, the same situation with a troublesome, unstable employee that was habitually absent and had poor relationships with his co-workers would have no doubt ended up differently.

But that's what we're talking about ........ a calm, logical, level headed approach and decision making process. Wouldn't it be nice if this was SOP everywhere?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Be sure to update when the boss breaks a gasket on this one...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Great job. You should be commended for your handling of the situation.

Let's face it, the same situation with a troublesome, unstable employee that was habitually absent and had poor relationships with his co-workers would have no doubt ended up differently.

But that's what we're talking about ........ a calm, logical, level headed approach and decision making process. Wouldn't it be nice if this was SOP everywhere?

My job would be tooooo easy!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:03:47 AM EDT
[#49]
I would have fired him, for carrying a Bursa Thunder...

Abe
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#50]
You sir, rock!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top