Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/5/2006 1:00:14 PM EDT
So, I am conversing with the wife trying to convey why we need more than one firearm.

Short story: I ask hypothetically, people at the bottom of the stairs, would you rather have 15 small individualy fired rounds or have 6-7 rounds that would produce an approximate 1 foot pattern of 9 32 cal bullets.

Her response, "Well condering I don't know how to even TURN THE THING ON....."

Grrr.....I have been trying like hell to explain the importance of knowledge of firearms too her, get her to the range and all....but she may be beyond help.

So my question is....have any of you converted someone who grew up in a house hating guns, someone who is afraid of them, thinks only one is ample....etc...etc...?

What was your strategy to get them to the range and turn them around?

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:04:10 PM EDT
Run, Its a Trap
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:05:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rapidfiregunner:
Run, Its a Trap

Dead serious man....It is really quite sad.

I need help trying to convert her from the dark side.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:06:42 PM EDT
You talk to your wife???
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:07:03 PM EDT
maybe you could start her out small with a pellet gun in the back yard, Plink some cans for fun, work up to a .22 and then go from there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:12:36 PM EDT
Skip the shotgun. An AR is a MUCH better home dfense weapon.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:14:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Yossarian:

So my question is....have any of you converted someone who grew up in a house hating guns, someone who is afraid of them, thinks only one is ample....etc...etc...?

Yes, I wore her down over time to the point she would rather concede to me than hear anymore speaches.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:16:38 PM EDT
Get a .22 LR revolver for her to try.
Start first time shooters small, and build them up.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:18:26 PM EDT
I've noticed that girls that don't like guns rarely like giving head either. In either case they are out the door.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:21:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JeromeAvers:
I've noticed that girls that don't like guns rarely like giving head either. In either case they are out the door.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:21:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bluefishgary:
You talk to your wife???

I thought all married communications were one way, wives talk and men (pretend to) listen.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:24:13 PM EDT
Fuck that shit!

She gets to buy the toys she wants, shoes, jewelry etc.

You can buy the shit you want.

Go buy four guns, that will shut her the fuck up.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:26:34 PM EDT

Short story: I ask hypothetically, people at the bottom of the stairs...

Pfft, that's why I have one of these...

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:28:09 PM EDT
Paitience. It might not happen immediately, and it might take a few years. Don't get frustrated. In the meantime, if it is any consolation, the chances of a home invasion is fairly silim in most parts of Colo.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:37:28 PM EDT
I have a similar problem with my mom. I'm living with her right now (because I'm employed by my stepfather and it's inconvenient to have him come pick me up or something for the day's work), and I'm trying to get an AK. Her logic is an impenetrable circle in which guns are bad "because I say so" or "I saw this bank robbery on TV where they used AKs and shot people" (north hollywood I assume) or "I don't want a semiautomatic in the house" (I doubt she knows what semiautomatic means, because she'll let my stepdad get a Taurus pistol) and there's no way I can even get her to consider letting me buy a rifle. This applies to a one-gun-is-enough, and is a problem because all we have is a .22 short single-shot rifle that looks like it's at least 70 years old. She thinks it's enough for home defense and is worried that if we got an AK someone would break in and we'd come home and they'd shoot us to get out.

Please...help...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:40:15 PM EDT
Buy one or two guns a month for the rest of your life.

It really is that simple.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:42:02 PM EDT
Take her shooting with a .22 pistol and work from there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:51:21 PM EDT
Say this to her:

"Because I love you and I will not let anyone hurt you. I will protect you the best way I know how. Now this is how to properly load a 30rd mag"
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:30:47 PM EDT
I get past the "why more than one" argument by using a golf analogy. Why do you have more than one golf club? Because they each have their own strengths and weaknesses, their own personalities. Each one does some things very well, and other things not as well.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:44:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:
Skip the shotgun. An AR is a MUCH better home dfense weapon.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:06:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JeromeAvers:

Yea, not sucking sucks.

I like watching my wife's bewbies bounce when she shoots, and she knows it.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:14:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yekimak:

Now that's a reason for a new topic:

Does your wife's bewbies bounce when she shoots?

Good material for a poll too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:21:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 4:22:49 PM EDT by Boom_Stick]

Shoots what??? Details, man! Details!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:27:26 PM EDT
just start buying, bring them home and hide them. THats what I do my wife has no clue on how much shit I have
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:40:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 4:48:09 PM EDT by yekimak]

Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:

Shoots what??? Details, man! Details!

She ain't shot the 300wm yet, but the 1300 and the ak and the snubby .44 SRH all make a nice jiggle.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:45:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 4:58:50 PM EDT by Ranger689]
Why are you letting your wife tell you what to do?

If you want and can afford a new gun, go and buy it and tell her STFU

IMO
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:53:18 PM EDT
Get the average response time of the police to a 911 call in your area. Make her sit in one spot for that amount of time. Ask her if she feels safe depending on the police? Maybe she'll want to learn to protect herself. You have kids, you ever away from home?
Gerry
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:10:46 PM EDT
More than one guy has wished he had never taught his wife to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:24:46 PM EDT
10/22 with a red dot ,bunch of ammo and mags, and some kind of reactive targets. Clay pidgeons ,ballons,old fruit ,whatever. Go to the range when the weather is nice. Make it fun ,don't drag it on to long
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:31:19 PM EDT
Do what a friend of mine did. She would not allow firearms in the house, so he changed her mind.
He put a ski mask on and coveralls and kicked the door in and chased her into the bedroom. She got in the br first and locked the door, which he kicked in and had her trapped. She was creaming for mercy and he took off the mask and told her if she had a gun it would of been him begging for mercy.

Not my type of compromise, but it worked for him.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:33:18 PM EDT
Mrs Goon wasn't anti gun, she just didn't want them in the house.

When she started raising goats and the first one got dragged off by a wild dog,
she ok'd a shotgun. I got her a Remmy 870 20gauge Junior model.

As I started doing more EP work, and, armed security I got a shotgun for myself and,
my AR and, pistola.

We go to the range regularly now, as she knows she needs to know how to use the
weapons availiable. She doesn't like pistols, and, doesn't like the AR. She's shot
them, but, they frustrate her.

She really likes "her" shotty.

Try doing a range "date". Take her to breakfast, and, then, go to the range. That might help.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:43:48 PM EDT
The more I hear the more I love my Wife. She is a tack driver who owns a SW99 in 45ACP, a firestorm .45ACP compact, a Mosberg shotgun, and She carries the firestorm. Before we married she never owned a firearm.... Want to know what turned her? She had our SON, and realized foul language was not going to get the results she wanted if some one came after her or him.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:46:28 PM EDT
I have a real hard time with men that have to get "permission" from women to buy what they want with the money they earned.

I understand talking about spending money on major items like a car but a firearm to most of us is nothing.

Men have equal say and if they are earning the money then I say it's atleast 60/40.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:13:17 AM EDT

Grrr.....I have been trying like hell to explain the importance of knowledge of firearms too her, get her to the range and all....but she may be beyond help.

Do you ask to share in HER interests? Maybe some reciprocal participation in her choice of hobbies or in what she finds interesting will get her to the range with you.

The guys who tell you to buy the guns and tell her to STFU are examples of why the divorce rate here is so high.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:29:54 AM EDT
I told my fiance (at the time) that shooting and collecting was a hobby of mine that I enjoy and that I would never deny her of a hobby that she enjoyed. Just guilt he into it. Some people you just can't convert. I took her shooting with a lever action 22LR and she just hated it.
Good luck
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:34:03 AM EDT
Man up, Tell her this is how it is and send her to the kitchen to make you a sammich

Seriously try and get her interested, the idea about Police response time is a good one too.

I still butt heads about SOME gun Issues with my wife, like why I need more than 30 mags for my AR's or why i need so much ammo etc;

Actually I am pretty lucky, she new the rules before we got serious-

"If it comes down to you or my guns, you'll go before my guns will"

GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:41:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zatu:
I have a similar problem with my mom. I'm living with her right now (because I'm employed by my stepfather and it's inconvenient to have him come pick me up or something for the day's work), and I'm trying to get an AK. Her logic is an impenetrable circle in which guns are bad "because I say so" or "I saw this bank robbery on TV where they used AKs and shot people" (north hollywood I assume) or "I don't want a semiautomatic in the house" (I doubt she knows what semiautomatic means, because she'll let my stepdad get a Taurus pistol) and there's no way I can even get her to consider letting me buy a rifle. This applies to a one-gun-is-enough, and is a problem because all we have is a .22 short single-shot rifle that looks like it's at least 70 years old. She thinks it's enough for home defense and is worried that if we got an AK someone would break in and we'd come home and they'd shoot us to get out.

Please...help...

Just do it. If you Mom doesn't like it, move out and get a real job.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:46:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/6/2006 5:48:08 AM EDT by BeetleBailey]
This is about as close to my pieces as my wife will get

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:55:44 AM EDT

So, I am conversing with the wife trying to convey why we need more than one firearm.

Short story: I ask hypothetically, people at the bottom of the stairs, would you rather have 15 small individualy fired rounds or have 6-7 rounds that would produce an approximate 1 foot pattern of 9 32 cal bullets.

Her response, "Well condering I don't know how to even TURN THE THING ON....."

As someone who has recently been converted to the dark side...let me give you a few tips.

First..it doesn't sound like she's anti gun, or that she's not "allowing" you to buy more. It sounds to me like she wants to know more about them, and be included in your fun.

Second...take her to an outdoors range. Indoor ranges are very intimidating, women get leered at, and made to feel very self concious. It's loud, and smells bad. So take her outside. Maybe with a rifle (NOT a semi automatic). Start out simple, with a .22 or a shotgun. Don't try to impress her with lots of round from an AR, it will just intimidate her and make her nervous. Show her how to do everything from loading it, to clearing a jam, to shooting it. Stand behind her and help her.
make sure she's wearing appropriate clothing and footwear, and make sure she has ear protection and good eye protection.

And don't plan on going for a long time the first time...just an hour or so.

That's how my boyfriend got me into it. Start out slow and easy. She'll come around.
And if she doesn't, then she should still respect your hobby, just make sure you respect hers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:07:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LonePathfinder:
Fuck that shit!

She gets to buy the toys she wants, shoes, jewelry etc.

You can buy the shit you want.

Go buy four guns, that will shut her the fuck up.

Either you aren't married or want to be divorced.

My wife was very anti-gun when we met, she stayed that way until a guy jumped on the hood of her car and said 'GET OUT OF THE CAR BITCH!!!! She stomped the petal and left. From then on she has gotten her permit and when she cannot go armed she carries her Surefire defender religiously.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:29:04 AM EDT
I've converted one into a non-anti (still liberal as hell though). She even wants to buy herself a pistol...

It was done by having her bench my scoped Ruger 10/22 with some eggs down range.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:39:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrClean4Hire:
Do what a friend of mine did. She would not allow firearms in the house, so he changed her mind.
He put a ski mask on and coveralls and kicked the door in and chased her into the bedroom. She got in the br first and locked the door, which he kicked in and had her trapped. She was creaming for mercy and he took off the mask and told her if she had a gun it would of been him begging for mercy.

Not my type of compromise, but it worked for him.

I bet he didn't get laid for a month!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:47:45 AM EDT
My first wife was an art-school, vegetarian, liberal type. She didn't mind me getting them, but wasn't keen on the idea. Then she took a class and enjoyed it. Would go to the range with me now and then.

When we split up she wanted a gun for herself.
Top Top