Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 12:23:53 PM EDT
Has anyone here been to Vietnam recently? What are must see places? What are some does and dont's?  I'm thinking about going there next month with two old Army buddies to explore the Country for 14 days.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
are you staying at the hilton by chance?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes we are. Sheraton Saigon Hotel & Tower
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Well don't expect to see what you see in the war movies, I've been twice in the 90s and it is a gorgeous place.  Saigon is a shithole though, I'd suggest spending only a day there or so.  Dalat is a nice tranquil town in the mountains, Hanoi and Hue are the most beautiful cities, Ha Long bay is a must see attraction where many movies were filmed.   Have fun!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#4]
How about the Hotel Caravelle?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]
How about not contributing to the economies of murdering, Communist filth?

China included.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

China included.

Lighten up Francis.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I was there in October, but for family reasons... check out Thai Airways for your flight, since they have a JFK>>BKK>>SGN  flight that'll get you there a lot faster than any other way. Other than that, I haven't done too much tourist stuff.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think I could handle it. Couple of years back a Vietnamese kid about fourteen was part of a JROTC summer camp, I was running the compass/land navigation course. She was a recent immigrant, sweet kid, very shy, when she spoke it was just like I remember thirty six years ago, I had flashbacks for weeks. It was seeing those eyes again that got to me. They had a way of reaching to the very depth of your soul. It was that painful and eternal suffering look but at the same time a determination that you knew they would never quit. Ya'll know what I mean.

rk
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread reminds me of the opening line of that Charlie Daniels song, "Still in Saigon."

"Got on a plane in Frisco and got off in Vietnam." Freaky stuff.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

China included.

Lighten up Francis.

Why the hell should he lighten up… he is right,

If you do go make sure you visit one of slave or child labor plants.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:51:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm going there to visit the battlefields where a lot of our people gave there lives.  I served most of my life in the Military and have always been interested in Military history so thats the main reason I'm going there.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:59:40 AM EDT
[#12]
AIRBORNE5697: Please fill us in on all of the details of your trip when you get back.  I would be curious of your observations and impressions.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
AIRBORNE5697: Please fill us in on all of the details of your trip when you get back.  I would be curious of your observations and impressions.

+1 and pics
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#14]
The trip to Vietnam was awesome. It was very chilling to be able to visit Hamburger Hill and walk on the red dirt at Khe Sahn . The place is very beautiful and most of the people are friendly.   There seems to be lots of poverty especially in the Central High lands area. I expected it to be very third world, but most of the major citys are very modern. The country side is still very poor. There are a lot of tourist from all over the world visting Vietnam. Its becoming a hot spot for tourism because of the low rates. Saigon seems to be the place for Partying. Hanoi was more conservative and the people not so friendly. The beaches are great. China beach was very cool. My favorite place was Nha Trang. There was a lot of dive shops, reasturants and Clubs. The price is right and the women nice. Here are some pictures:

Fruit vendor in Ho Chi Ming City

2 1/2 ton still in use in Khe Sahn

Uncle Ho's resting place in Hanoi

US Weapons in the Khe Sahn

Fish in the Mekong Delta

boom boom in Saigon

Farm Girls  going to work from the H'Mong tribe

Fresh water Prawns in the mekong

Partying in Nha Trang. Very cool place

Jungle boots in Khe Sahn

M60 from Khe Sahn

Nice tatoo!!

Part of B52 wreck Hanoi

Hanoi Hilton

Rice patties near Da Nang

Town of Khe Sahn

Town of A Luoi near Hamburger hill.

An old Viet Cong peasant. he is missing his hand and eye.

Very cool girl

Fishing boats in Nha Trang

A HMong tribe Village house  in the A Shau Valley

M48 tank in Chu Chi

The Chu Chi tunnels

lady in the Mekong Delta

One of the US weapons in Chu Chi. Got the SN. I wonder if we could trace this?

Traffic in saigon. 4 million people live there.

Mint condition jeep being used by local police now.

Killing time in Saigon

Crazy Cyclos in Saigon

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

China included.

This coming from someone who lives in Cali, this countries biggest cespool?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#16]
nice pics.

Is the beer any good?

How were them freshwater prawns?

You on penicillin now?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Surf Vietnam.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#18]
cool pics
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Hah, those prawns look just like what they were eating in Apocalypse Now....
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Viper I did my time in the service (14 years active duty )so I think I can go where I want. I actually ran into several retired GI's living there. The beer was great. The major brands are  333, Siagon, tiger and Hanoi Beer. The food was awesome.  They like hot spicy food.  I used two condoms at a time!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#21]
It looks like a beautiful place. Sometime I want to go on a tour of Asia, hitting Viet Nam, the ROK, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Tokyo, Osaka, and Bangkok (not necessarily in that order).

Does the US technically forbid travel to Viet Nam without special permission like they do Cuba? Is it possible to get stuff to eat in Viet Nam that isn't seafood or tendon?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Viper I did my time in the service (14 years active duty )so I think I can go where I want. I actually ran into several retired GI's living there. The beer was great. The major brands are  333, Siagon, tiger and Hanoi Beer. The food was awesome.  They like hot spicy food.  I used two condoms at a time!!

Great pics!  Looks like you enjoyed Viet-Nam long time!  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

2 1/2 ton still in use in Khe Sahn

Not U.S., but Soviet. ZiL series truck. Right era though...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It looks like a beautiful place. Sometime I want to go on a tour of Asia, hitting Viet Nam, the ROK, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Tokyo, Osaka, and Bangkok (not necessarily in that order).

Does the US technically forbid travel to Viet Nam without special permission like they do Cuba? Is it possible to get stuff to eat in Viet Nam that isn't seafood or tendon?

The US Gov't normalized relations with Viet-Nam like in 1989 or something...

I remember when I was in high school, fresh from watching Platoon and the like being very angry at that happening.

Now... eh, I don't know.  I wasn't in the war.  Lot's of guys who weren't drug addicts got fucked up.  If going there helps them be at peace, so be it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#25]
All you need is a visa to travel to vietnam. There are a lot of different types of tropical fruits and veggies. I'll be going to Thailand and Cambodia this winter. I'd love to be able to take 1 year to travel all over asia. I meet a few American people living over there because the  money goes a long way. I think Thailand would be a great place to retire.  10 more years and I'll be heading somewhere else myself.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Viper was quoting mattja, not giving you crap.

Looks like it was a fun trip.  

What were the retired GI's up to?  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Sorry Viper. One guy I meet had Vietnamese wife and did not work. He is just enjoying retirement. Another lived there half the year. He worked as an English Teacher. In Nha Trang there are a lot of shop owners from all over the world. It seemed that most of the nice places are owned by outsiders.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top