Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 10:43:41 AM EDT
I went to church today for the first time in a long time. This is the church that my dad goes to, but I went by myself. I almost fell off my chair. The preacher took 2 offerings (plus made it "missions sunday" and passed out envelopes for people to include donations for missionaries in the general offering) and then in his sermon told the congregation to beware of panhandlers. Honest Abe! I couldn't believe it.

He was also talking about how in the past he had to move his family out of "palaces" and into "pig pens" so that they could start up a new church. Well, I noticed that he chose to start this church (only 2 hears old now) in a very well to do part of town.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
How our church handles money:

Church bulletin tells visitors that the offering is for members and that they are not expected to give.

20% off the top goes to other organizations that we think are doing good work.  We figure if we are going to encourage our people to give we ought to do the same.

The preacher (me) has nothing to do with the money.  I don't know who gives what.  I see the financial report every month when everyone else does.

Statements I've made about money in the last couple of months in a sermon or at Sunday School.

"If you know someone who is poor and needs help, isn't it stupid to give money to the church and then tell us who they are so we can give it to them.  Just give them the money, you don't need to go through us.  If you can't take care of them, tell us and we'll do what we can too."

"God doesn't need your money."

I quoted someone here who said that one of the things they've learned about God is that He is not good with money.  I then told them that God is good with money.  He doesn't need theirs.  If they would like to participate in what we're doing fine, BUT if God's behind it, it will happen whether they help or not.

God doesn't want your money.  He wants YOU.

I guess I've never believed that God needs anyone's money and thinking he does keeps some preachers from preaching the truth.

My .02

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't go to church (but I do believe in God)
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#3]
No
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
God doesn't want your money.  He wants YOU.

I guess I've never believed that God needs anyone's money and thinking he does keeps some preachers from preaching the truth.

Just thought this bears repeating.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]
who gives a shit. If people are too blind to see it for themselves then they should do just that, they need it, they want it then by all means go right on ahead.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I went to church today for the first time in a long time. This is the church that my dad goes to, but I went by myself. I almost fell off my chair. The preacher took 2 offerings (plus made it "missions sunday" and passed out envelopes for people to include donations for missionaries in the general offering) and then in his sermon told the congregation to beware of panhandlers. Honest Abe! I couldn't believe it.

He was also talking about how in the past he had to move his family out of "palaces" and into "pig pens" so that they could start up a new church. Well, I noticed that he chose to start this church (only 2 hears old now) in a very well to do part of town.

Unfortunately they are few and far between,   some of them are very adept at hiding it, some of them are honest and serving God.  Of the preachers I have known .... maybe 8 or 9  only 1 fits the last description
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Yes.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Steve, what was your point here?

"Is there such thing as an honest preacher"... geez.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top