Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 8:30:02 AM EDT
Hey all,

I got this email today, which is not addressed to me, & I am assuming that it is soliciting a particular stock fund.
For the record: (I have never played around with the hypnotic power of NASDAQ)
But now I am curious about it all (investing) & if this is a common type of email spam.
I have never received spam emails offering info like this.

Also, How does the email come to me, if it is not addressed to me?
Can the header help to answer this question?

I use an email intercept program called mailwasher, which allows me to read the email without opening it first.
Then if you want to, you can bounce it back to the sender, & or put the sender on the blacklist to be deleted automatically.
Mailwasher's (view full header option) allows me to view who sent the email & it's origin path.
And it's bounce option sends a cool message to the sender making it look like your email addy is bad, so they won't send the emails anymore.
It is a cool program by the way, that I have been using for a few years & it's free.

I have first cut & pasted the full header from the email that was sent to me below.  

Then I cut & pasted the actual email, below the header info. . . .

Thanks,
M4-CQBR

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from edge2.adelphia.net ([194.117.196.209]) by mta3.adelphia.net
         (InterMail vM.6.01.05.02 201-2131-123-102-20050715) with ESMTP
         id <[email protected]>;
         Sun, 5 Feb 2006 11:49:33 -0500
Received: from c02m-194-117-196-209.n.club-internet.fr ([194.117.196.209])
         by edge2.adelphia.net
         (InterMail vG.2.00.00.02 201-2161-108-103-20050713) with SMTP
         id <20060205164924.QOFL24782.edge2.adelphia.net@c02m-194-117-196-209.n.club-internet.fr>;
         Sun, 5 Feb 2006 11:49:24 -0500
Received: from [194.117.196.209] (port=44966 helo=QGDCJA)
by mx1.1stcomm.net with smtp
id 4VdaaR-996Klc-67
for [email protected]; Sun, 05 Feb 2006 10:48:41 -0600
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
To: "Liannej" <[email protected]>
Subject: Make comanche on applaud
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 10:48:41 -0600
MIME-Version: 1.0

To  Investor  ,

PRODUCE  SAFETY  NEW  (  PDSC  )

Current Price  -    0.0445
Short Term Target Price: 0.939
Long Term Target  Price   1.748
417plus per-cent Short  Term  Profit  Potential

More info at  finance  .  yahoo

PRODUCE SAFETY NEW  (PDSC)
PDSC intends to provide a, first ever, full line of food-safe
fresh fruits and vegetables through its distribution and service
centers owned and operated by Food Safety International,
strategically located domestically and internationally as both
operating port and land units. Food producers, processors and
retailers have additional incentive to utilize PDSC technology.
Ozone destroys pathogenic microorganisms that cause spoilage and
transmit disease; it extends the shelf life of a product an
additional 10 to 60 days, ensuring better quality and reduced
shrinkage. Consumers have higher expectations and will force
regulators to provide stricter guidelines and regulations food
safe products in all food categories. US FDA officially granted
GRAS status to Ozone for use in food-contact applications, in 2001.

DO NOT MISS THIS STOCK IN THIS RANGE BUY IT NOW !

Sincerely  ,
Madella  Marren
Senior  Investment Advisor
LZP  Group

been overdosed with taters  I commanded him  in my deepest voice  to order a veal cutlet
this other contract bargain   Annie  As Mr  Rider glanced towards her  sitting at the
Thats what your father and mother might both have been  Heaven knows  and been the better for it
being in a beastly condition  and our house tedious enough  I remained here tonight instead of going
and refolding the letter  it would be insupportable to me to think of
separated them wholly from each other secondly  that Mr  Familiadis seemed to dislike
that I have undergone so much in this distant place  as to have decided to leave it at
would haveexpressed more to me  or moved me more  We were to drink tea at the gibbons
Mr  Lynham said not one word  though the old lady looked to him as if for his commentary on
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#1]
pump and dump
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I get those spams all the time - probably from visiting one investment site or another.  I always disregard them.  If the stock the email is pushing was so good, it would not require advertising.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#3]
watch boiler room
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I get those spams all the time - probably from visiting one investment site or another.  I always disregard them.  If the stock the email is pushing was so good, it would not require advertising.

About those faxes/emails you invariably get, pumping up the stock:  READ THEM.  On the faxes at least, they always say in little print that the company was paid something like 25k to pump up the stock.

If the stock was that great, they would spend 25k buying more of that stock and not spend it on advertising it to pump up stock prices so they can sell out.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#5]
It's spam.

I've been getting them in an .gif format as an attachment, no text in the email

ETC: HTML to .gif...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I have gotten junk like that before. Once i got one from the same company a month or so later, the stock had dropped by about 75%. But if you ever get rich from them, make sure you let us know here
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

About those faxes/emails you invariably get, pumping up the stock:  READ THEM.  On the faxes at least, they always say in little print that the company was paid something like 25k to pump up the stock.

If the stock was that great, they would spend 25k buying more of that stock and not spend it on advertising it to pump up stock prices so they can sell out.

Almost makes me want to try shorting the stock.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I just read one and it says

<snip>  This report is for entertainment and advertising pursposes only and should not be used as investment advice. <snip>

Entertainment...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Almost makes me want to try shorting the stock.  

not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't bother with them. They'll almost always cause you to lose money.

Interesting article to read:

Stock Spam
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#11]
What's hilarious is that I got one of these pump-and-dump faxes a few years ago for American Ammunition.  They seem to have gradually dropped off the face of the earth since then.

Edit:  Wow... Sportsman's Guide still sells this crap.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#12]
How it works: These promotors pump a stock. I received one as  promotion to an investment newsletter saying how wonderful this guy is and I should spend $200 a year for his newsletter. Then inside he gave some free advice about a stock. By the time I received the notice, the stock had already started to move up from a two year flat line. So now everyone was getting in on it and it continued to move up despite having no income ever or any in the next 5 years.

That was a clever pumping of the stock. Those that bought during the flatline and sold after the pump made money. But those that bought off the newsletter, lost when it dropped to flatline a month later.

Stay away from these guys.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Also, How does the email come to me, if it is not addressed to me?

Because the To: address in the message has nothing at all with who the message is delievered to.  That's how SMTP works.  Otherwise, BCC's wouldn't work.

Then if you want to, you can bounce it back to the sender

That program is a complete fraud if it really claims to do that.  How is it going to determine who sent the message?

Before using any sort of anti-spam or anti-spyware program, you need to be very careful.  Most of them are malware.

These pump and dump schemes on the Internet have been around for at least 10 years.  The SEC usually will do nothing about them.  There's a local guy named Tim Bryant that has been running them for that long.  As of last April he was still running the scams since a friend overheard him bragging about it, and he had just hired a new employee making $57,500/year to do cold calls for him.  To afford that, he must be making a lot of money from it.  I know more than a dozen people that have contacted the SEC about him, but he's not in prison yet.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top