Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#2]
my s&g has 4 numbers...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
tag for outcome
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to wonder how often this kind of thing happens with an manual lock versus an electronic one hosing up...probably less often, but hmm...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have to wonder how often this kind of thing happens with an manual lock versus an electronic one hosing up...probably less often, but hmm...

1 dial in 10yrs as opposed to about 30 E-locks in 5, S&G has redesigned the E-lock due to major problems.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 dial in 10yrs as opposed to about 30 E-locks in 5, S&G has redesigned the E-lock due to major problems.

That's good info. Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Envy  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#8]
A thank you to everyone that posted, be it in humor or as advise.

I have tried EOD_Guy's, Nirvana's, and TheGunny's methods for hours today.  Well, I didnt do too much pounding.  I did try all possible combinations in 1/2 # increments on every combo number for 3 numbers in both directions.  I went through this matrix three times.  Quite time consuming.  

"1 dial in 10yrs as opposed to about 30 E-locks in 5, S&G has redesigned the E-lock due to major problems." Zipper

Is that right?  Thirty E-Locks in 5 years?  If that figure is accurate I guess I would be better off with another mechanical lock.  Would you recomend an E-Lock after your experiance?  

I will be contacting the retailer that I purchsed this from tomorrow.  Hopefully they can give me a
good lead on resolving this.  If not, I will go shopping for locksmiths.  I will post the conclusion as I see that some have "taged" this for an outcome.  Thanks again for all of the replies.  This is a great place, I think I'll pony up for a Team Membership.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#9]
maybe you're not using enough numbers.  try adding an 87!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Get some C4 and just blow it up.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
any safe can be broke inot.

inot?  

Why not?

S&G are good locks but a good smith can open them.

DON'T TRY ANYTHING TOO DRASTIC AS THEY DO HAVE SOME SECURITY FEATURES BUILT IN YOU CAN HONK AND REALLY MAKE IT TOUGH FOR THE SMITH.  

They used to have a smith at Long Beach Naval Shipyard that could open them almost by looking at them.  Course he had a lot of practice.

Most you can feel "open" somewhere between 5 and 9 and the last little bit to zero pulls the bars out.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, thanks to the input I recieved here, I contacted the retailer this morning.  They sent their "tech" out to diagnose my problem this afternoon, and presto, I can rest easy once again.  I will not hesitate to do business with them again.  In fact they probably didnt even need to offer me service as I purchased this safe "used".  A thumbs up for Rocky Mountain Shooters Supply.  As an aside for Colorado members, they are working on opening an indoor pistol range in the near future, something that we can definately enjoy in the winter months.

The problem seems to have been the same as Nirvana'a.  In fact I could use his post as a near verbatum experiance to mine.  The "trip lever" was sticking.  It only took the tech two attempts to gain access.  Talk about feeling like a retard on the short bus.  I bought a new mechanical lock anyway so I dont have to worry about it.  

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the folks here you took the time to reply, even the funny sarcastic ones that helped me keep my head when dealing with this.  Maybe I am a wee bit too attached to my "collection".    But that is no reason to stop now, in fact, I think I am just getting started.  But what a nightmare for me.  I now feel like a kid at christmas with access to my projects.  Now I can get back to work on the SPR and the AK.  WEEEEEE  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, thanks to the input I recieved here, I contacted the retailer this morning.  They sent their "tech" out to diagnose my problem this afternoon, and presto, I can rest easy once again.  I will not hesitate to do business with them again.  In fact they probably didnt even need to offer me service as I purchased this safe "used".  A thumbs up for Rocky Mountain Shooters Supply.  As an aside for Colorado members, they are working on opening an indoor pistol range in the near future, something that we can definately enjoy in the winter months.

The problem seems to have been the same as Nirvana'a.  In fact I could use his post as a near verbatum experiance to mine.  The "trip lever" was sticking.  It only took the tech two attempts to gain access.  Talk about feeling like a retard on the short bus.  I bought a new mechanical lock anyway so I dont have to worry about it.  

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the folks here you took the time to reply, even the funny sarcastic ones that helped me keep my head when dealing with this.  Maybe I am a wee bit too attached to my "collection".    But that is no reason to stop now, in fact, I think I am just getting started.  But what a nightmare for me.  I now feel like a kid at christmas with access to my projects.  Now I can get back to work on the SPR and the AK.  WEEEEEE  

So,did the guy have any nice stuff in there?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Indeed.  Only the finest!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Glad you got it fixed

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks.  You know....I still dont trust it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't be scared, Locks are like women you have to be nice to get what you want
I have had mine 7 yrs and the only trouble I had was forgeting the combo ( thank God for my wife)
Been running an E-lock in the store for 4 yrs and haven't changed the Battery yet ( It'll go dead tomarrrow for that). Good thing is new lock new warranty
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Don't be scared, Locks are like women you have to be nice to get what you want
I have had mine 7 yrs and the only trouble I had was forgeting the combo ( thank God for my wife)
Been running an E-lock in the store for 4 yrs and haven't changed the Battery yet ( It'll go dead tomarrrow for that). Good thing is new lock new warranty

Damn, 4 years is pretty good.  My S&G uses 2 9volts and I switch them every year.  I do it on my birthday so I won't forget.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had two electronic locks go bad, on two different safes, within 2 months of getting the NEW safes.  I will NEVER own another electronic lock.  And American Security screwed me badly -- so I wouldn't recommend an American Security safe...............

Michael
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

so....what did the tech do?  percussion maintenance (ie clobber the crap out of it)?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#22]
dood, your making me laugh!..i havent heard that word in quite some time/....clobber
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top