Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2001 10:28:27 AM EDT
Hi, I will be purchasing my first AR-15 this weekend, and I have reallly done my homework, I see that the Bushmaster is definitely the way to go. Like I said, I did my homework, but Im still confused on a couple of issues. Please dont kill me for sounding like a newbie(even thought I am) but whats the difference between the a1,a2,a3, m4????I have absolutely NO idea what these designations are. At the local gun shop, they pretty much all look the same to me, w/ minor variations. This is what I know so far, I want a 16" w/ the short front handguard, as for the stock, I want the full stock (not the fake collapsible)(it can be changed later). Whats the full stock called? I really want the carry handle, i kinda like the iron sights, Is the flattop w/ the removable carry handle pretty much the same thing? The gun is going to be used for plinking and having a good time, No competition or that kinda thing.... By the way, its going to cost me $825 before tax, is this ballpark for the NYC area? (stuff is definitely more $$ here) One last thing, as for the barrel, what kinda flashhider/compensator should I get? like I said, they pretty much all look the same(I know I dont want that 5" long one, Id rather have the extra 3 1/2" of barrel...) What else should I know?? Any help is appreciated and please throw you 2 cents in!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:41:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:18:00 AM EDT
Why not take a look at www.bushmaster.com and do some reading. Everything will be explained there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:37:11 AM EDT
For what your wanting from an AR15, you seriously should go here & do some reading on our AR15.com LEGP rifle. I think you will find that this would be better suited for your needs than the Bushmaster, plus it's $165.00 cheaper. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?id=60[/url] ColtShorty GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:43:34 AM EDT
I got a A3 system with a handle for my Bushmaster. Not sure what everyone else thinks, but it seems that one would need a flip front sight to make it work. The forged front sight will interfere with the line of sight on a flat-top mounted scope. I have a handle mount, but now I am wondering if I wasted the extra $70 I paid for the A3, and should have just gotten an A2. Are you planning on scoping it anytime? If not, definately go with a standard A2. I don't have a Muzzle Brake so I can't help you there. Bushmaster has a good add on selection. [rocket]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 12:46:39 PM EDT
Everythings been covered so far except for stocks and brakes... SO, I'll throw in my $.02... Full Stocks: A1 is black and shorter then A2. The A2 is 5/8" longer than the A1, and is grayish in color. The M4 stock is the collapsible job, and is legal only on Pre-bans and Law enforcement guns... UNLESS it is PERMANENTLY fixed in 1 position, then you can put it on a Post-ban gun. As far as muzzle brakes go... I've heard BAD things about the "Y-Comp"..never used it myself. (poor accuracy + VERY loud) I've used the "Smith" comp and "AK" style brakes and they both work fantastic... Hope that helps...
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 1:06:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Torf: I got a A3 system with a handle for my Bushmaster. Not sure what everyone else thinks, but it seems that one would need a flip front sight to make it work. The forged front sight will interfere with the line of sight on a flat-top mounted scope. [rocket]
View Quote
The front sight on an AR with a flat top doesn't get in the way of any optic 4x or higher. You might see a "ghost" of the sight, but nothing that distracts at all. On my Bushmaster M4A3, I have an ACOG NSN 4x that works great. The front sight doesn't interfere. Granted, a flip-up front sight may be a little better, but certainly not required.
Top Top