Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The German tactics and equiptment were amazing for the time. Germany invented modern warfare. Speed and violence of action.

Warfare has ALWAYS been about Speed and Violence of Action.

The Germans did not invent this; they merely were the first to use Combined Arms Doctrine in doing so.

But they were undoubtably superior in their human material:

1) Officer Corps: Simply the best

2) NCOs: Given power, responsibility and TRUST

3) Men: They WANTED to fight and had leadership second to none

The German Army was a meritocracy, and the troops were adaptable and tenacious. They would stand and fight till they dropped. They were ALWAYS outnumbered, in every battle they fought. Forget all the propoganda about the Germans being rigid and highly structured, run from top down. That was US!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Every time I see our colledge student part time worker show up in shorts,flip flops,and an IPOD!!!

I think about the German army heading off into the Russan winter!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Training
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:32:18 AM EDT
[#4]
They weren't unstoppable when they came up against an enemy that worth a shit.  The Russians stopped them and they couldn't stop us from invading Europe.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm curious as to what made the German Army of WWII so unstoppable? Did they have amazing leadership in their commanders (not so much in Hitler, who was practically batshit looney)? Were their Blitzkrieg tactics previously unheard of?

I'm no fan of Nazis, but I respect the power of their military at the time. However...it cost so, so many lives to stop their aggression.

If Hitler had taken the advice of his officers we would all be speaking german right now. We won won because of our spies and his stupidity.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:34:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was their any one person who devised this new strategy? Or did a group of generals pretty much have a round-table talk and realize there was a better way than sitting in trenches?

Heinz Guderian

www.nndb.com/people/173/000087909/guderian-sm.jpg

+1

Guderian had a very affectionate smile, which states "follow-me-and-gain-glory". Although when pictured with with his staff or superior officers Guderian seldom smiled. He was loved by his soldiers and officers, because he was always with them and they knew what he knew. Guderian could drive, aim and shoot every tank. His ability as a commander, came not from recklessness and intuition, as with Erwin Rommel, but from deep knowledge. He knew exactly how far every tank could go and over which landscape, were he would slowed down and were he could speed up. Heinz Guderian knew all that, because he was the creator and the german Panzerwaffe was his creature. This was not fully recognized by the German High Command.

Guderian wasn't too liked by the German High Command, they were a very jealous lot and most did not understand Armored warfare.  Much of his failure to sieze Moscow can be put at the High Command forcing him to stop/slow down.

Von Manstein was another General who was of Guderian's caliber, his Generalship around the retreat from Stalingrad was brilliant.   Both Von Manstein and Guderian told Hitler that Kursk was a trap but Hitler insisted on marching into Zhukov's trap.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:48:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Appearantly they weren't that unstoppable.

it was only when we started using their tactics and our massive production capacity against them that they stopped being unstoppable

And let's not forget that it took the combined strength of the United States, England, French Free Forces, Canada, Australia, Russia and several smaller allies to defeat the Germans.

fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:01:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
....what made the German Army of WWII so unstoppable?

Discipline .............. training ............... deep seated belief in superiority................and the ability to capitalize on captured manufacturing ability and infrastructure.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:06:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Two things:

1.  The Germans were good.
2.  Everyone else sucked (ETA: until we saved their asses)
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:08:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:35:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Improved tanks and infantry vehicles made a combined arms strategy possible.

What really made combined arms strategy possible was improved command and control.  Smaller, more portable radios that used less power instead of the telegraph and phone cables.  

This allowed coordinated, highly trained forces to mass effects at a decisive point.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:08:45 AM EDT
[#13]
don't forget the incredible advantage we had with the ULTRA intercepts.  We knew virtually every move the germans made.  Look at a few of the affects of this:
- the british strangled Rommel in africa by sinking most of his supplies in 1942 prior to alamein
- we knew the germans reaction to our normandy invasion
- we knew the germans counter-attack at mortain as we were breaking out of normandy
- we knew a lot of the submarine plans in the atlantic
When the Germans didn't use their wireless communications - like for the ardennes offensive - they achieved surprise.    

Early on I think it's a very open question if the russinas could hve held on without our lend-lease support.  And if they didn't have a 2 front war - very iffy for the russians.    IIRC we, and the british, sent the russians more tanks and trucks/jeeps than the germans produced for the entire war.   This kept them in the fight until 1944 when their re-located industry and new designs for tanks and planes really started to show up.

There are many what-ifs that are intriguing, like:
- the luftwafffe had the RAF on the ropes by bombing their airfields - then switched to cities in ratalaition for raids on berlin.   With the RAF destroyed, would they have tried a cross channel attack?
- in july 1941 in russia the way to moscow was wide open after the smolensk battles, but hitler diverted the panzers to encircle the ukraine.   Hence the drive to moscow was delayed until october when mud and eventually the worst winter in 40 years hit early and hard.   the russians were given that extra time to relocate their government and a lot of industry to the urals.
- in north africa 1942, what if the planned invasion of malta had taken place after Rommel took tobruk and defeated the 8th army.  Instead Rommel diverted these resouces to his pursuit to alamein where he stalled and eventually was defeated.   Malta's resurgence crippled his supply line for fuel then for the 3 months prior to alamein
- what if hitler hadn't declared war on the US thsu insuring an eventual full scale 2nd front
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:15:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
three words:
Spear Of Destiny

+1  How soon we forget.

German scientists used an early form of cloning to take blood from the Lance of Longinus and created an army of zombie Jesus. We all remember the hell that this army wraught upon London.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:30:12 AM EDT
[#15]
One of the main reasons the Germans were stopped was the HUGE production capacity in the US that was safe from bombing. No army could have withstood a committed US with our almost limitless capability to quickly produce aircraft, ships, weapons etc.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:37:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Russia is what stopped Germany.

The U.S. and Britain helped.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Read about Heinz Guderian and/or the books that he wrote.
He explains about the situation he was in and what he did to improve it.

One of my favourites is Panzer Leader.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Roboman, try reading a couple of books for crying out loud.  

Lighten up
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I think a lot of it was about not having any real spine.  Germany kept having cease fires and promissing not to attack and going against their word.  It was aggression based on trickery and disseat followed by fast moving all out attack.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:07:35 AM EDT
[#21]
The Germans were so good at the start of WWII due to their "shoot-n-move" combined arms approach and the full understanding of their enemy.   The Germans knew exactly how their enemy was going to try and defend against invasion.  Plus, the Germans knew exactly how to make use of each branch of their invasion force (air, armor, infantry) to the fullest so they accented each other.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Innovative tactics
Superior equipment
Outstanding leadership
Effective training
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What really made combined arms strategy possible was improved command and control.  Smaller, more portable radios that used less power instead of the telegraph and phone cables.  

Oh, jeez, I forgot about that.

Yeah, when the inferior German tanks invaded France, one of the reasons they won was that every German tank had a radio in it. Most French and British tanks did not.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted: I'm curious as to what made the German Army of WWII so unstoppable?
They had gas and used it. They had cheap energy. Once we took down their oil production, they were screwed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#26]
They were the first to USE mechanized combined arms tactics in the offense. They had some quick, early success but they were unable to maintain a defense. Their offensive short comings included the lack of heavy bombers and aircraft carriers. The Stg-44 should have been pushed up, as well.

Had the Germans eliminated England, aircraft carrier battle groups could have secured the Mediterranian while Germany pushed into Russia, fueled by African oil.

Their biggest mistakes were failing to conquer Britain, which cost them Africa, and opening the Russian Front before the West was secure.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Russia barely had the manpower to take Berlin at the end of the war.  Without US aid they'd have folded.

Patton had the right idea, rearm the regular German divisions and finish the Soviets...  they were so bled out from fighting the German rearguard into Berlin they wouldn't have lasted long.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Russia barely had the manpower to take Berlin at the end of the war.  Without US aid they'd have folded.

Patton had the right idea, rearm the regular German divisions and finish the Soviets...  they were so bled out from fighting the German rearguard into Berlin they wouldn't have lasted long.

Yeah, "bled out" Russians still had something like 200 divisions, with 10 million men. What did the Western Allies have on "the continent?"

Re-arming what was left of the German military with M4 Shermans and M1 Garands................. vs T34-85's and IL-2's would have been a stellar idea.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, jeez, I forgot about that.

Yeah, when the inferior German tanks invaded France, one of the reasons they won was that every German tank had a radio in it. Most French and British tanks did not.

Germman tanks were used "en masse", other countries spread their tanks out so that they were deployed in groups of 2-3, supporting infantry.

Very easy to overrun, or outflank those very small tank groups.

Germans were good at directing "support"  artillery, air power, or MG fire. Other countries used artillery and airpower for more "strategic" targets, not tactical.

German soldiers were well equipped, trained, and led............ luckily they often didn't have that much ammo or food.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Their biggest mistakes were failing to conquer Britain, which cost them Africa, and opening the Russian Front before the West was secure.

Well, that and Hitler started the war in '39. After telling his staff that it would start in the mid 40's. At that point they would've had jets, aircraft carriers, and more u-boats then you could shake a stick at.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#32]
overwhelming ruthlessness to countries who wanted to play fair or didn't want to play at all...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Improved tanks and infantry vehicles made a combined arms strategy possible.

No that is backwards… a combined arms strategy made German tanks more effective.

German tanks at the start of the War were not particularly better than anybodies else’s and there were periods early in the War when German tanks were at a distinct disadvantage.

It was not the quality of German tanks but their use en mass to hit specific points with combined arms strategy including air power and artillery that made them effective.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Thank you Vito113 and OlyM4gery,

I was going to rebut but you have done so quite nicely and accurately.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I would add that I am skeptical of official Russian casualty numbers. I have read and heard 250,000-500,000 Russian casualties for the Battle of Berlin.

They had LOTS of soldiers, and were willing to tak far more losses than the Western  Allies would've been.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:15:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Tag for later when I have some time.

-K
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#37]
It's been said before-German JO's led from the front.  I've seen stats showing that the average German company commander billet was filled 9 times due to high KIA/WIA rates.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, "bled out" Russians still had something like 200 divisions, with 10 million men. What did the Western Allies have on "the continent?"

Re-arming what was left of the German military with M4 Shermans and M1 Garands................. vs T34-85's and IL-2's would have been a stellar idea.

Suuuure they did.

You mean the troops in the east?  That he'd already called into battle?

200 divisions and 10 million men... funny.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Official Russian histories and troop strength numbers have never been remotely accurate.  Believe what you like, though.

As long as the hive mind marches in step alles ist schon.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted: If they Russians had decided to advance to the Rhine they would have gone through the Allies like shit through a goose!
No, they wouldn't. They'd get their butts kicked by our air power when we strafe their supplies. Then we'd Nuke 'em just for good measure. Then we'll take the Russian women back to the USA as war brides and tell the Arabs to pound sand as we developed Russia's petroleum deposits.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I'm curious as to what made the German Army of WWII so unstoppable? Did they have amazing leadership in their commanders (not so much in Hitler, who was practically batshit looney)? Were their Blitzkrieg tactics previously unheard of?

I'm no fan of Nazis, but I respect the power of their military at the time. However...it cost so, so many lives to stop their aggression.

Deciding not to stop them when they were most vulnerable to being stopped.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted: If they Russians had decided to advance to the Rhine they would have gone through the Allies like shit through a goose!
No, they wouldn't. They'd get their butts kicked by our air power when we strafe their supplies. Then we'd Nuke 'em just for good measure. Then we'll take the Russian women back to the USA as war brides and tell the Arabs to pound sand as we developed Russia's petroleum deposits.

US and British Air power would have crippled them. The Soviets would have tried it if they thought they could have succeeded.

But the US and Britain were not going to be able to invade the USSR proper… Being able to stop a Soviet advance is not the same thing as being able to take the offensive.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#46]
I don't know if I mentioned it, but note that the German build up for war and training of personnell began in 1933. The Brits started in 38/39 and the US in 1940. We had what, 100,000 soldiers in 1940? To 15 million by '45? That is impressive, but they are still draftees, not long time professional soldiers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

US and British Air power would have crippled them. The Soviets would have tried it if they thought they could have succeeded.

But the US and Britain were not going to be able to invade the USSR proper… Being able to stop a Soviet advance is not the same thing as being able to take the offensive.

Notice I did say 'to the Rhine'. There really wasn't much to stop them in May 1945. We had  relatively few forces over the Rhine and the majority of Tac Air was operating from rough fields.

If the Russians had stuck out for the Rhine it would have taken them little more than a few days to reach it. Agreed, we would have been pissed as hell, but Ivan would be sitting on his side of the Big River and we'd be back on the other. The Russian were not going to be a sitting duck for our Tac Air like the Germans were who were down to a handful of fighters in 1945. They had enormous numbers of quite good high performance fighters to support them and carry out counter air operations.

Although we had a huge advantage in Heavy Bombers, pretty much the entire area of Eastern Europe was out of reach. Western Poland was  as far as B-24's and Lancasters could reach. The Russian rear echelon would have been able to feed in men and materiel unmolested. And remember, Nukes were still  4 months away.

ANdy

yes, if we could hold out for 4 months, the first nukes would have been used against the USSR instead of japan, which was largely contained by that point.  and the soviets would have had little choice but to surrender when their divisions started disappearing under mushroom clouds.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Hitler wasn't a military mastermind. It was his generals who really developed the blitzkrieg attacks, strategies, campaigns, etc.
All European countries were weakened by WW I. France was also hoping Germany wasn't strong militarily as the Germans were under an agreement not to arm themselves as a part of the Treaty of Versailles. As Hitler rose in power, he secretly defied parts of the treaty in order to prepare for... raise pinky to edge of mouth... "total world domination".

On the other hand, their campaign on the Eastern Front didn't go exactly as planned. The Nazis were successful in their early attacks as the Soviet military was not prepared. Things changed as they attempted to take over Moscow.

I would suggest going to the library and getting books on WW II.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top