Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/4/2006 6:28:39 PM EDT
I was wondering if it's okay to store ammo at cold temps.... like 25 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit?

That's about how cold it is in my storage room in my garage.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:31:38 PM EDT
In general, storing just about anything at 40F is better than storing it at 90F.

Just shot some 50y/o 12ga reload #4 and slugs that were stored in no particular way (just tossed in an ammo can and placed on a shelf in the garage) the other weekend. Shot fine. Carboard bulged on a few of them and were more difficult to extract.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:48:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mauser101:
In general, storing just about anything at 40F is better than storing it at 90F.

Just shot some 50y/o 12ga reload #4 and slugs that were stored in no particular way (just tossed in an ammo can and placed on a shelf in the garage) the other weekend. Shot fine. Carboard bulged on a few of them and were more difficult to extract.

Thanks...........
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:50:34 PM EDT
I think the most important thing with storing is humidity, the less the better
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:52:37 PM EDT
I really don't think it is the temp, but the fluxuation between hot and cold that causes problems. How hot does it get in the summer?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:55:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By klutz347:
I really don't think it is the temp, but the fluxuation between hot and cold that causes problems. How hot does it get in the summer?

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:14:39 PM EDT
Shouldn't be any problem. If you want to go the extra mile, put it in ammo cans and throw in some silica gel packs to control the humidity. If you close the cans when there isn't much humidity in the air, there won't be much moisture in the can to possibly condense because of temerature flucuations.

Condensation would be the only threat. It's why you always fill up the fuel tanks on an aircraft upon landing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:17:03 PM EDT
Keep mine indoors,in my safe or in a closet in ammo cans.No extreme temp changes.Powder too.
Top Top