Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 6:09:48 PM EDT
Do people you know\work with ever threaten you? What do you do?

Personally, I laugh at them, unless I think they might actually be a threat, then I threaten THEM(more like a promise)

eta: where is my nomex facemask?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
this is such the hardass internet tough guy thread.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't recall the last time I was threatened.   Must be that most people don't have the desire to crawl under their car for the rest of their lives to check things out before starting the car.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
this is such the hardass internet tough guy thread.

Wasn't meant to be, but I did add the eta:

I used to work with a black guy, he seemed to think that threats were an acceptable part of "discourse"

And we had another SMALL black guy that only worked there for a short time, I was about the tenth person that he threatened

I laughed at him, I was wondering if you had similar experiences and how you dealt with them
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Every now and then somebody feels the need to threaten my life.  A complaint to the local PD and their removal from the jobsite usually doesn't slow them down either.

CCW, its key.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, man!  I can't imagine threatening someone in EOD. (Hiding-in-the-chimney-thing-smilie)

That brings up a good point though. Some people go around threatening lots of people, and they don't know who they're threatening might actually be or what they're capable of.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Self employed and its just me and my bride working together...

OF COURSE I GET THREATENED!!!   ALL THE TIME!!!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#7]
yeah, but it's never serious:  "if you do that, i'll kick your ass"...  that sort of thing.

i've only been truely threatened on one occasion...  some kid who was trying to sound like a tough guy over the phone told me he had a gun and he was going to murder me.  well, i'm still here
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not really talking about people that ARE actually a threat, just the ones that talk shit or think they are tough

There seem to be MANY more of the younger kids 16-25 that learned how to fight from movies and video games

Last year I had a skinny blonde co-worker say that if I crossed her she would kick my ass
"people from the north are just sooo much more street-savy than southerners"

she couldn't weigh more than a hundred, no muscle tone, no martial arts or boxing.......just "tough"

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Self employed and its just me and my bride working together...

OF COURSE I GET THREATENED!!!   ALL THE TIME!!!!

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm the GM where I work. I've had to fire alot of people. (Firing people sucks.) I have been threatened quite a few times. I just say, "Thanks for the warning."

I agree with earlier poster, "CCW is key."
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Fortunately, I've never had that problem....and I hope that continues.  There's enough bad stuff going on all around that working with a threatening co-worker just adds to the mix.

HH
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm so likable no one have ever threaten me. Maybe try not being an ass so it would never get to this point.

It doesn't happen on regular basis, I do talk back to bullies though, maybe that makes me more of a target
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#14]
It was a 300 lb black hooker, I told her that I would love to have a "talk" with her friend well her pimp never showed
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I have this policy for when people threaten me. It does happen from time to time. When someone threatens me, I do my best to provide them with every opportunity to actually carry out their threat. This seems to get the point across to just leave me the fuck alone.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
yeah, but it's never serious:  "if you do that, i'll kick your ass"...  that sort of thing.

i've only been truely threatened on one occasion...  some kid who was trying to sound like a tough guy over the phone told me he had a gun and he was going to murder me.  well, i'm still here

So how do we know your not a zombie, now, huh?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#17]
From arrestees?  All the time.  From fellow police?  Only when trash talking about bass tournaments.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Being 6'5".... the only threats I ever get, are net ones.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Not ever.  

Have had a couple of old girlfriends threaten me though. LMAO.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted: What do you do?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Being 5'8", I get a lot of real ones  I worked construction for several years and in a textile mill for a couple decades, and guys your size always made threats and started fights.  Thankfully I was smart enough to avoid them (so I still have almost all of my teeth!), but quite a few smaller coworkers got hurt by the bigger guys.z
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Never at work....I work at a hospital and its mostly women. They aren't so into threats. Now some of the guys like to talk some smack but it's harmless. They also say they are coming to my house if the Zombies ever work up the nerve to attack. I guess you could view that as a threat!!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted: What do you do?

The chairs in my places of employment are usually too unweildly for rapid multiple strikes
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Punch em right in the face before they finish the sentence. It has a way of letting people know you are not one to be trifled with.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I give them a motherfuckin' FULL POWER SHOT to let them know where their place is.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I know exactly what you're talking about! (6'5" & about 280lbs+Beard & Long hair) (Hence the "Tall Shadow")

Guy (on Phone in other part of company) "It better be right, or I'm comming down there and kicking your ass!"

Me "Oh, Really now?!?"

Guy "Just you try me!"

Me "Come on down...anytime.. sunshine!"

Guy hangs up and I go on about my work.......

Several people come down and tell me that he is "Fuming" about me up in his office. Some are amused, some are actually scared.......

Some time goes by and "Skippy" comes storming down to Our area......

Guy "Were is this Tall Shadow guy, he'd better not have skipped out and left my work unfinished! Grumble! Grumble!"

Several people were actually worried that I would just outright kill him...Right then and there.
Others, those that know Me, knew I am not an overly violent man, but I do like to freak the crap out of little self-appointed "He-men" when the situation presents itself.

I walked up behind him, paused to let him finish his little speach, then noded to the guy infront of him to tell him I was here.

Guy "Grumble! Grumble! (Turning) Gru-m-mm-bb-l-le!

Me "Hello! I'm Tall Shadow, I understand that you had an issue with Me....Or with My work here!?!?"

Guy "Hum-in-a!! Hum-in-a! Hum-in-a!"

Me "I thought so..... When speaking with someone, and making idle threats while doing so, It's always prudent to know the person to whom you are speaking's size and temperment. Had I not been raised to be a man of great understanding, this conversation might be going allot worse for you.

He was speechless and turned slowly and walked away. I was happy to never have to talk or deal with him again. He left the company a few months later, hopefully wiser.

My boss called me in, and was asking me if I was going to "Make trouble" for what had gone on.
Having always been a slow to anger person, yet looking like the "Outlaw biker" kind of guy, I get this reaction allot. I stated that I was not mad at the guy, just that he was a jerk...a dumb jerk that had a mouth that was going to get him into trouble with someone else sometime.

Oh Well!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah a kid I work with, he's 16, was pretty pissed off and I made the 'cheese with your whine' comment. He says you wanna go. So he comes at me and I ended up bouncing his head off the concrete floor (by accident though I swear ) after I took him down. I let him up, he apologized and he walked away.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Probably not the threatning thing you all are talking about.  But I used to work at a grocery store and had a man and several of his friends harass me all the time.  I had to pull out my knife on one occasion.  Not that I could have done much with it, but I felt better showing it to him.  I had to start the whole sexual harassment process with management.  That was not fun.  Needless to say, he and his buddies didn't work there much longer.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#29]
No.

Nobody I know has ever made a credible threat, not since high school anyway.

I'm a nice guy and people don't get that pissed at me often.

I pretty much keep to myself and don't flip anybody any shit.

Nobody who knows me would consider it wise. (Not that I'm all that or anything, but lets face it, grown men are perfectly capable of killing one another, armed or not, and I'm never unarmed)

Making a credible threat of violence against any adult is an incredibly stupid move to make, even if they're smaller than you, even if they're not as well trained, whatever, all they have to do is get lucky to do you permanent damage, even kill you.

I'm occasionally concerned about people who don't know me, never about those that do.

Haven't witnessed much of this sort of thing either, not since I was a teenager, when it was rampant. Living in a "Shall issue" state probably has a great deal to do with it, anybody over 21 may be armed at any time.

Can't imagine a work environment where I'd fear violence from a co-worker, that would suck.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Draw Down?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:27:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Guy I used to work next to didn't actually make threats, but showed every sign of being borderline psycho.  With a wife screwing around, a 2-hour commute on the good days, a developmentally disabled teenager son and other issues involving his daughter, plus being overextended with his church choir, he seemed like a powderkeg that would give no pre-incident warning that the boss would ever notice, but then the boss was braindead anyway. Tried to warn him to no avail.  

I almost forgot the part about his always talking to himself, plus always announcing to everyone around every little development about his work, that he was going to the copy machine (in a room 20 feet away), etc.   That was nice of him to do that all day long , considering that once every few months, someone would actually come want to see him.

A headline waiting to happen.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top