Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 10:07:49 AM EDT
Does anyone do this?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#1]
my radar detector usually gives me a pretty good advance warning....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably not for long
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm assuming you're talking about the passenger being the one looking through binoculars.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I've often thought of having the passenger do this..
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#5]
No.

I just watch for the people in front to hit their breaks quickly...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#6]
There is one surefire way to not get caught in a speedtrap.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#7]
The only glass I'm looking through while driving is the windshield.

My passenger on the other hand is on constant police alert. This is called being a good co-pilot.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, I thought about radar detectors, but I've heard that the cops actually leave them turned off until they see a suspected speeder and then they turn em on.  At that point your detector does you no good.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've often thought of having the passenger do this..

I do this regularly when I travel with my parents on trips to Ohio and back in the car.

Its SOP for the navigator to scout ahead for possible signs of cop cars or other problems.  Its nice when your stuck in traffic and can look down the road to see what is up.

I recomend against doing it as the driver
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#11]
How about not speeding in the first place
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#12]
i've never done that.  but i've always wanted to try driving without headlights and using NVGs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Binos wouldn't do you much good as the tax collectors are usually very adept at hiding themselves.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i've never done that.  but i've always wanted to try driving without headlights and using NVGs.

might have some depth perception problems...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
There is one surefire way to not get caught in a speedtrap.

Exactly................Become a Cop.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Darwin will be keeping an eye on you.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#18]
 Hilarious - brings back memories!!

I used to do this in high school riding shotgun.  We used to hit I80 and go the 43 miles to Toledo in my friend's car - FLOORED THE ENTIRE WAY.  John considered it a point of pride to be able to mash the pedal down and not let up for any reason until we got to our exit.

The idiot didn't really care if he got a ticket, but I kept a watch anyway.  His car topped out at about 120MPH.  It's a damn miracle the engine held together that long.  Funny thing is, we (except the driver) were almost always hammering beers during this little sprint.  It never occurred to us the hell that would rain down if we had gotten caught, and miraculously we never did.  We made maybe 20 trips like this.  

It's amazing that we didn't get ourselves in a bad accident - I remember him passing cars on the shoulders and shit.  

I sure hope my kids aren't that stupid.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#19]
If you use a regular telescope you can then keep one eye on the road while the other scans for pesky lawmen.  The only bad thing is, people tend to pull up along side you.  You can tell you've piqued their curiosity and they want to look through your telescope, too.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Does anyone do this?

A police scanner works better.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#21]
i've tried it as a co-pilot but the image was too shaky and i got car sick.

i need to invest in one of those optical image stabilization binoculars being sold now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#22]
We've done it but got motion sickness pretty quick.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Binos wouldn't do you much good as the tax collectors are usually very adept at hiding themselves.

+1.

If the cops know what they are doing, by the time the speeding driver/co-pilot recognizes the speed trap, it is too late.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Having spent many hours doing exactly  that, I can assure that it is not fun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol.  reminds me of T2:
John: Can you even see anything?
T-800: I see EVERYTHING...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Why don't you just put on some NVGs and let some one shine a flashlight in your face.  Same effect as oncoming traffic.  Then think as to whether or not you want to try driving at night wearing them.....

As to scouting ahead, just buy a CB, install it and put it on channel 19.  Listen and you will hear where the cops are.  (not recommended if you have small children in vehicle)  Also, before you start talking, learn the language used on the radio.  I.E. 10 codes and slang terms.  We can identify a 4 wheeler instantly when they key up because it is obvious they learned from TV and movies.....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Just go a head and buy a Valentine One.
I own the road since I got one, even saved from a laser twice over the last 5 years.
THE radar/laser detector

OK, now the "just go the speed limit" crowd can have the floor.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention the headlights of the oncoming cars....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

might have some depth perception problems...

Just have to keep your scan moving - no fixating.  I haven't driven with them, but ground taxiing a helo can't be that different.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#30]
not good for checking for speed traps but it's good for determining cars up ahead are marked or unmarked.  I passed a unmarked patrol car once, oops, got a ticket  Radar detector, CB radio, and letting another speeder pave your way is the best way to avoid speed traps, and occassionaly do the speed limit.  Look for cars up a head suddenly hitting brake lights for no reason, etc.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#31]
no I drive the speed limit or 5 miles over. I never have gotten pulled over for going 5 over passed a cop.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#32]
once the price of drones comes down i plan on buying a couple for this type of radar/VASCAR/ and even bear in the air protection....

thing about binocs is they cant see over hills or around the curve. but drones can... and thats the cats meow..
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#33]
My brother and I used to use binos on the drive from Tucson to Yuma, especially going west from Casa Grande. You can see for miles down the road and there is NO place to hide. Back then the national speed limit was 55, and we'd average around 85 mph, sometimes faster. Nowadays if you're not doing 90 through there you'll get rear-ended.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Well, I thought about radar detectors, but I've heard that the cops actually leave them turned off until they see a suspected speeder and then they turn em on.  At that point your detector does you no good.

You thought wrong. Some PD / officers use that method at times but the vast majority spray the radar constantly while parked or traveling.

My $200 radar detector has saved me from at least 7-10 speeding tickets in the past 10 years ( yes it's 10 years old and still works great )

I forget it's brand ( made in Ohio )

It's the laser that they shoot only when aimed at you thats impossible to detect ( until it's too late - you are hit )

Best $200 I ever spent.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Does anyone do this?

Well,beleive it or not,back around 85' or so, A friend of mine and I were driving up to Portland Ore. to go to a Van Halen concert. I was actually able to spot 5 or so and we didn't get  a ticket. Worked pretty good . I doubt my eyes could take it now though.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I've actually tried it.  DON'T Recommend it.  

The problem is trying to keep the binoculars from bouncing around taking your attention away from driving while also losing your place on the road where you are because of the depth perception.

I've also popped the t-tops and sat on the roof and drove with my feet at 40mph.

What can I say, I was young and invincible!  

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
How about not speeding in the first place

you must not have driven in CA in the last 20 years.    I think 99.99% of all drivers speed down there.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Here in Texas, we have three methods of avoiding speedtraps:

1) Radar detectors.

2) Watch everyone in front of you suddenly slam on the brakes and go ten under the speed limit.

3) The people going the other direction are flashing their high beams at you as a warning that there's a cop up ahead.

Truckers and anyone with a CB in the car also ask for "weather reports" and their speed changes depending on the forecast of "sunny" or "heavy rain".
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#39]
here is what you do. If you are driving 2 or more people somewhere. All passengers throw 1-3 dollars in a pot. The pot goes to whoever spots the most popos on the trip.

Ive never done this, but have been tossing the idea around my head. Could be fun, but may need some details worked out....???
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Good thing you live in Texas....

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Ever since I got one of these:

many years ago, I stopped getting speeding tickets.  (I had had three before then).  Quite durable they are -- I've had mine for more than five years now.

Course, you have to have good reflexes on your pedal foot.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Ummmmm thay is a lil too paranoid..... Just dont speed....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Just dont speed!!??!  

With all the miles I drive I figured out a few years back that if I drive 10 over the speed limit it saves me one work day a week.....  Or is it, creates another day of work in a week...  I havent quite got that part figured out yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top