Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2001 9:23:36 AM EDT
Actually, it's been something like 15 months since my operation, and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

I experienced almost no pain from the procedure. My doc kinda laughed when I asked if he was going to prescribe something for me. I was looking for some percocets or vicodin, but I ended up not even taking any advils. The only uncomfortable sensation was sort of like when you've worn your contacts a little too long and your eyes are a little dry and scratchy. That lasted a day. I had an occasional "corona effect" for a month or two, off and on and usually at night when I was tired.

The improvement in my vision was noticeable as soon as I woke up the next morning. I sat on the sofa and could read the clock readout on the VCR...less than half an inch high...from 10-12 feet.

I no longer have to wear my uncomfortable, ill-fitting contacts (those crappy ones they make for astigmatism) when I shoot. Targets are clearly visible and distinct.

All in all, it was worth every dime.

[u]Advice:[/u]

Research the docs in your area. Don't just take one person's word for it. Call the folks that are offering it and ask them what their 20/20 rate is. They should eagerly volunteer this information. If they don't, shine them on. Ask them if they'll give you enhancements (more laser shots) free until it's right. Talk to the docs and ask them who did their eyes. [b]Don't make your decision based solely on price.[/b] If you can't afford the good doc, hold off and save your pennies until you can. After it's done, follow your doctor's directions on aftercare to the letter. Yes, you have to wear those stupid goggles to sleep in for a month. That's better than waking up rubbing your eyes and finding out that you busted your flap loose. Good luck.

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#1]
It would be nice but with +3 diopters of astigmatism in one eye, and very flat corneas, they can't do much for me.

A new procedure where farsighted people can be worked on by cutting down into the sclera and "reshaping" the cornea works on some but not those with my eyesight. D.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Jarhead22, Thanks for the info,I have been thinking about LASIK surgery for the past few
years,But I haven't taken the plunge yet.
I'm just a little scared when it come to my eyes,I know of 2 people that have had problems and still do,I can no longer drive at night,and the one has to constantly place wetting drops in hers eyes.I should  add both them thought they could save a buck and they went up north to Canada.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#3]
13 months for me now. Before 20/400 both eyes. Now 20/20 and 20/15. Vision was hazy for the first 5 weeks then cleared up. Zero problems. Can see fine at night. Cost was $1000.00.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I just had my preliminary screening yesterday and have scheduled an appointment for August 30th.  I've currently got 20/200 in my right eye and 20/400 in my left eye.  The doctor seems to be really decent and says he has a 95% rating for 20/20 with the remaining 5% falling into 20/40.  I'll be getting this done on a Technolas 217 excimer laser.  I'm definitely looking forward to it.  It'll be nice to see well again and to be able to spend some money on firearms rather than saving it for surgery.  :)
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
For those of you who have VSP (Vision Service Plan), they now cover a portion of the cost for getting Lasik done.  There is a limited list of doctors who they will pay for, though.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the procedure performed in January of this year.  No regrets. I had my final follow-up and I am 20-15 in the right eye and 20-10 in the left.  I previously was -20-500 in both eyes!  This is definitely an area where advances are being acheived every day.  I understand now there is a procedure where no flaps have to be created.  Make sure the opthamologist has the newest equipment and has lots of happy clients.  The only side effects I experienced were dry eyes, and a slight sensitivity to direct sunlight.  Well worth the money.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure you get several opinions before you get this done.  My uncle had this done a bit over a year ago, and is in pretty bad shape now.  3 proceedures later, he now has his tear ducts plugged, constantly needs eyedrops, always has the "corona" effect, constant pain for about 4-5 months (now just a few hours a day during the light changes) and depth perception is very bad.  Turns out he was a poor candidate in the first place, and never should have gotten it, but the doctor that was supposedly the best in the area never mentioned this to him, and forgot to do the proper tests before the surgery.  Don't believe the success rate they tell you - the doctor who did my uncle's proceedure considered him a "success".   He ignored him when he complain of problems a few weeks after the test, forged his medical records after the fact, my uncle purposely failed the eye chart, doc said he got it perfect, etc.   You only have two eyes, and if they mess it up, there is not much you can do to fix it.  Check out http://www.surgicaleyes.com before you elect to go ahead with the proceedure.

Rocko
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Good info. My vision is not too bad, I don't need glasses to drive but I wear them anyway to read signs and see more detail.  I'm just a but hesitant of the long range effects as of yet.  Give it a couple years and I'll give it a serious consideration.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the review Jarhead. With my left eye not seeing as clearly as it used to, LASIK may be a good option for me in the future.

Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#10]
What is the long term prognosis?
Will your 20/20 deteriate with age?
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Just remember it's a surgical procedure and there are risks which you need to evaluate and accept.

Things to consider:

If you're one of the unlucky 1% you're 100% f***ed.

No one knows the long-term effects of the procedure.

The screening process is critical for success. Insist on the proper tests or find another surgeon.

The procedure thins your corneas. Again no one knows the long-term effects.

The procedure is easily detectable. You will be disqualified for some jobs or military service if that’s the reason you're doing it.

New versions of lasers and software are always in development. Should you wait or do it now?

You may need reading glasses at an earlier age.

My SO wears disposable contacts. Almost no risk, perfect vision, no side effects and cost about a buck a day. The only downside is they may not be appropriate for everyone.

Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Over four years here, when I was 45, am now, let's see add four years, yeah I am 49 now! I had it done before the FDA even gave approval for the LASIK machines.  still 20/20 in both eyes, and can even read the New York Stock exchange symbols in the mornings paper.  I was 20/500 and 20/600 in my eyes with astigmatism before the surgery.  It was the right choice for me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, two very happy years with my LASIK eyes. Was 20/500 and now 20/15 and 20/20.  I had immediate, I mean right then- right there, improvement. I sat up and could easily read clock on far side of operating room. Pain was essentially non-existent, sort of like getting shapoo in your eyes, but left in 24 hours. Did surgery on Friday afternoon and went back to work on Monday. Biggest problem was wearing those damn clear lenses taped to my head to sleep for the first two weeks so you don't wake up half-asleep and starting rubbing your eyes. Damn things nearly ripped out my eyebrows (no longer a unibrow ).
Anyway, a definite two thumbs up!
Markeagle
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Over 1 year and holding.I'm still constantly amazed at the outcome,went from 20/400+ and astigmatism, to 20/15 and 20/20.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Over a year for me also. And everything is AWESOME!!!! Still have light sensitivity. Can't go out without shades if its sunny out. Give me a headache. But its all good cause I look better with shades on anyways [;)]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll stick with my contacts for now.  20/400 in each eye.  If I don't have it done, when I turn 50, I will probably not need reading glasses.  If I were to have it done, I'd need reading glasses at 50+   I'm 33 right now.

I might get it done in a few years,  I'll wait and let the procedure advance a little more.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top