Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 12:15:53 PM EDT
I've been PT-ing four times a week with ROTC to prepare for LTC over this summer and I had an experience this morning.  We got smoked good and I was fine with all of the running, but when I did pushups and situps at the end I got light headed, my hands and feet tingled like they had fallen asleep, and I could feel a "fluttering" in my hands (easiest way to describe it).  I believe the tingling sensation is caused by the pushing or straining (much like when you take a shit--fagle movement or however you say it) and your blood pressure drops.  Only thing I can think of because I don't have any problems when I'm running, just mainly doing situps.  I also get nausea.  I know I'm out of shape because I took last semester off to try another school and I didn't work out much then.  I'd like your opinion on whether I'm just out of shape or if I could have a medical condition pertaining to the heart or lungs.  I want this (ROTC scholarship) bad and I've been told its mine as long as I PT hard until LTC.  I dont' want to say anything to the officers in my ROTC program and kill my chance at the scholarship on their fears that I could eventually be medically DQ'ed.  Thoughts/opinions???

ETA:  BTW, I'm 19yrs old and 160lbs.  I can run 6-8 miles no problem but I can't do 60 situps without having this sensation.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
It wouldn't hurt to get a checkup but I have a hunch that you are not breathing enough/holding your breath too long while doing the situps.   Since pushups/situps are a anaerobic exercise, it is important you get a proper rythmn to your breathing, if you don't you will suffer symptoms that you have described.  

Don't worry about the max number of reps, just use it as a goal to attain.  It takes time to build up the muscles,  you will notice when you get to Active Duty that the older guys  tend to get higher amount of reps in, that is because they have been doing this routine for years.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have much to offer, mainly a bump so someone like drjarhead can come along and provide expert advice.

But, have you done anything to your back, whether recently or in the past? I understand that muscle weakness (and maybe pain or simple refusal to cooperate) can result from slipped disks.

What causes the nausea? The running, or the situps accompanied by the tingling?

DID you, or do you CURRENTLY, not have a problem with lots of running? De-training only takes a week. If you took off a semester and are back to 4 days a week of solid PT, back off a bit.

So, as I said, completely non-expert opinion. Go talk to your doctor, get yourself squared away and if whatever you do resolves it for good, don't put shit on your DODMERB.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have any problem running..just with situps and pushups.  I'll schedule a physical as soon as I can but if anyone else has any opinions post them.

CMS

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I get the same way after pushups/situps, right before the run.

I'll get nauseous and feel like puking.  I've always attributed it to the sudden strain on the body, doing maximum amount of work in short amount of time.

:shrug:?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]

19 and running 6-8 miles per day?  I doubt you have anything physically wrong.  PT tests drain you is their own special way and there is an element of performance anxiety with them.  

We always did PU and SU before the run.  Do you have problems if you do them without running?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

19 and running 6-8 miles per day?  I doubt you have anything physically wrong.  PT tests drain you is their own special way and there is an element of performance anxiety with them.  

We always did PU and SU before the run.  Do you have problems if you do them without running?

To tell you the truth I don't know.  That was the first "burner" PT session of the semester, so I don't remember if I had problems when running or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top