Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 11:09:02 AM EDT
What do you guys think about these things.  I can get one NIB for 179.+tax.  

Are they accurate?
Are they Reliable?
Is 179.00 a fair price?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had a couple of them come through my hands over the years.  For the most part, they are more accurate & reliable than they have any right to be at what they cost.  (Unless they have gone up considerably in the past couple of years, you ought to be able to do better than $179 - somebody correct me if I'm wrong).  Their biggest drawback IMHO (besides aesthetics) is the unavailability of any high-capacity magazines.

As pleasantly surprised as I was with their performance, I just could never get past the looks...

The KT is not much more money and far more versatile.  We have two and they have been solid little carbines - reliable & loads of fun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#2]
They're ugly as hell and I wouldn't buy one for that much money.  I have shot one before though and it seemed to work alright.  I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to buy something so...hideous.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've had a couple of them come through my hands over the years.  For the most part, they are more accurate & reliable than they have any right to be at what they cost.  (Unless they have gone up considerably in the past couple of years, you ought to be able to do better than $179 - somebody correct me if I'm wrong).  Their biggest drawback IMHO (besides aesthetics) is the unavailability of any high-capacity magazines.

As pleasantly surprised as I was with their performance, I just could never get past the looks...

I have one, and it's fun for what it is.
The ugliness is a feature of this carbine, you have to love it cuz it's so damn butt ugly.
Hi-caps are in the works, there are/were some out, but they were not reliable and are being redesigned. Thats if you consider 15rds to be "hi-cap".

Price point... $145 though $179 the shop makes a few bucks, if it's a good shop then cool. Support em so they stay in business, he's not making THAT much off this sale at all.

Reliability is real good. Has a hell of alot more metal than the Kel-tec.
Has an equal if not better lifetime *anything goes* replacement policy.
Looks, believe it or not, alot better and more like a "real gun" than the Kel-tec.

I've seen what happens with a case failure in a Kel-tec, and I'm real confident that a failure in the Hi-Point will be MUCH more controlled. Its heavy-duty shit in there, believe it or not.

I'm also hoping someday, theres so many of these things kicking about, that people will make alot of aftermarket shit for them, like stocks, mags, etc... but those two things especially  They are selling very well from what I can gather.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Get the Beretta CX4.............
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I voted KTSub2K because I bought one two months ago (Glock fotey config) ($299). Truly a great gun. Eats everything and folds to 7" x 16" (fits in a day pack or range bag). Great "gotta go for a two hour ride under the seat gun".

Have shot the HP in 9mm. Fun, reliable. and cheap. Ugly, but so is the KT unfolded.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get the Beretta CX4.............

Or get the Kel Tec Sub2000 and you can pick the magazine style, Glock, Beretta, Sig, etc.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I own one.  It is ugly as sin, and you can only get 10 round mags, but is is very rieliable and very accurate.

At 50 yards I can make ragged holes with it.

I like my Uzi a lot better due to the magazine capasity and it looks better.  I like my Sub2000 well enough.

But the Hi-Point is a fine little carbine.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
... Hi-caps are in the works, there are/were some out, but they were not reliable and are being redesigned. Thats if you consider 15rds to be "hi-cap"...

But they will still be proprietary, not shared with another platform like my wife's SUB-9 that uses the same mags as her S&W pistols or my SUB-2000 that uses the same mags as my 9mm Glocks.  Or, for that matter, my wife's Marlin Camp 9mm that also uses her S&W mags, or my Storm that uses my Beretta mags, or... well, you get the point.  I realize not everyone places as high a value on this feature as I do, but for some it is a significant selling point.

ETA:  Four more posts in the time it took me to type that?  I knew I should have learned to type at some point in my education...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#9]
There is nothing wrong with the Hi-point carbine.  Sure everyone would prefer a Storm, but you could get 4 hi-points for the cost of one Storm.

Personally, I am waiting for the .45 acp version to be released after the Shot Show and then I may have to pick one up.  They are great fun to plink with.  The only down sides, ugly (only matters if you care), does not impress the gun "elite" (only matters if you care), and low cap mags (This is the only viable reason to not go with one in my opinion).

If you want one, get it, shoot it, have fun.  You won't regret it.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#10]
This may sound silly but do they have a rail on the Hi-Point?  From the pictures on the web it doesn't look it, but I'm not sure.  This could play a factor when and if I decide to purchase this thing, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This may sound silly but do they have a rail on the Hi-Point?  From the pictures on the web it doesn't look it, but I'm not sure.  This could play a factor when if I decide to purchase this thing, thanks.

No integral rail (unless it's been recently added).

They do/did offer a bolt on muzzle-brake with a short integral rail underneath (for a light, etc.).

ETA:  Looks like they still do - www.mkssupply.com/accessories.asp#carbine
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 on waiting for the 45acp version.  i emailed hi point about it and they said it should be available in late march/early april.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#13]
A friend of mine has a Hi-Point, and he loves it... he paid around $150 new. It's a great plinker, cheap on ammo, pretty reliable, and pretty accurate. he mounted a red dot scope on it (I'm not sure why) but it was a blast to shoot. Also, you can't go wrong with the warranty, lifetime, no questions asked. I say get it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#14]
keltec!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought one a couple years ago, the 9mm one, in black.

It never fails to fire, never jams, but the plastic stock is so soft you can scratch it with your fingernail.
I bought it because I was curious.  I have no regrets.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one I got for $140.00 at Dunhams in MI this Thanksgiving (shortly after).

Its a fun gun, but feels cheap, and the mag is kinda built cheap, etc.

Nevertheless, for the money, it has been fun to own. If I had to do it again, I would save the money, and use it for a partial payment on a kel-Tec PLR 16.....

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#17]
It complements my SKS and kelted P3AT nicely.
For the money, they're outstanding.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I too was going to get one from Dunhums for 179.00.  Did you get yours on sale or something because thats seems like a great price?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top