Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 10:44:24 AM EDT
i posted this over in the ar forum but it gets about 1/20th of the traffic the gd does and i thought this might be good news for anyone wanting to do some work on their weps...

i sent the below letter to the batfe back in oct and got my response last month. i've attached (poor, i know) scans of the letter for your review (it IS signed).

U.S. Department of Justice
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Washington Field Division (Technical Branch)
607 14th Street, NW
Suite 620
Washington, DC 20005

Dear Sirs,

After checking your FAQ site I have a question I couldn't find a definitive answer for and I'm hoping you can provide a little enlightenment.

Markings on Firearms. What are the rules and regs pertaining to these? I understand that altering or removing serial numbers is strictly a no-no but what about other markings?

Specifically, I have a Bushmaster semiauto version of the M4 carbine currently being used by our forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. I would like to make the following modifications on the left side of the receiver:

a. Remove manufacturer's goofy coiled snake trademark (although the name and address would not be touched)
b. Add "PROPERTY OF U.S. GOVT." in place of trademark directly above serial number
c. Change "CAL. .223-5.56MM" to "CAL. 5.56 MM"
d. Change "MODEL XM15-E25" to "M4A1 CARBINE"
e. Change fire selector markings from "SAFE" and "FIRE" to "SAFE", "SEMI", and "AUTO"

I would also like to make the following modifications on the right side of the receiver:

a. Change fire selector markings from "SAFE" and "FIRE" to "SAFE", "SEMI", and "AUTO" (see "e." above)

I have attached pictures showing the original receiver, approximations of what I want changed, and a picture of an actual M4A1 carbine from Iraq.

so, what i'm reading here is that i'm good to go on changing anything i want with the exception of the serial number (that's untouchable!).

one thing that was brought up is that you wanna check your local laws before making changes.

enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Deal
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Good deal.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I hope you never intend to sell it though.  Its called humping in the garand world and is generally frowned upon.  

can you explain that more? you mean if i try to sell it as a real usgi rifle? it'll still be s/a just with uber kewl poseur markings!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#5]
hardcorps1775: Why make things anymore difficult for yourself.  Guns are for shooting and not a beauty contest.  Take them out to the range and run thru the paces, and take them home and clean them and put them back into your safe.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#6]
You know, now that you sent them that letter you're on their "persons of interest" to watch list?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You know, now that you sent them that letter you're on their "persons of interest" to watch list?

nah, my house has a double layer of aluminum foil and i only drive at night...

besides, i'm already on their radar with all my nfa and dd forms!

warlord, gotta admit i was all hot to do it back in oct but now i'm looking at converting my saiga12 and getting a new .50 bmg rifle...either that or pay my mortgage...haven't decided which is more important!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#8]

What's next, are you going to 'distress' the finish on it too?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Kind of silly to do all that to a semi rifle
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like very good information. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What's next, are you going to 'distress' the finish on it too?

oh fuck yeah! get me some fine red dirt to sprinkle on it, put in some highlights, all that...

no, it just seemed like a cool idea at the time, just for shits and grins. god knows i ain't got the scratch for the real thing!

i did want to get the info out there though. some folks want to put combloc markings on their ak's, others want to get rid of silly ass trademarks like stags or snakes, some want to mark the caliber 5.56mm instead of .223, etc. now they know they can without fear of the men in black.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Well thats greast . but can I mark it .
Safe
Semi
Fuck Yea .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top