Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/3/2006 9:49:59 AM EDT
Gun-toting motorists more prone to road rage
03 February 2006
From New Scientist Print Edition

GUN lobbyists like to repeat the quote often attributed to American writer Robert Heinlein, that "an armed society is a polite society". But this is certainly not true for motorists.

A survey of 2400 drivers carried out by David Hemenway and his colleagues at the Harvard School of Public Health shows that motorists who carry guns in their cars are far more likely to indulge in road rage - driving aggressively or making obscene gestures - than motorists without guns. Some 23 per cent of gun-toting drivers admitted making rude signs, compared with 16 per cent of those who did not carry guns (Accident Analysis and Prevention, DOI:10.1016/j.aap.2005.12.014).

Yet in some states it is easier than ever to own a gun and carry it a car. In the past two decades 23 states have eased restrictions on carrying guns, says researcher Mary Vriniotis. Police no longer have the right to ban someone they consider unsuitable from owning a gun. People now only have to pass background checks, such as the absence of criminal convictions.

"Our findings indicate that the people driving around with guns in their cars are not among the most responsible and best-behaved people on the road," says Vriniotis. "In the interests of injury and violence prevention, it probably makes more sense to tighten rather than relax restrictions on gun carrying in motor vehicles."

From issue 2537 of New Scientist magazine, 03 February 2006, page 7

www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18925373.800
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:52:27 AM EDT
Guns Are 1,000,000,000,000 times more likely to kill someone you love than are cute furry kittens. -Violence Policy Center study.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:52:55 AM EDT
And if you have a gun in your home you're ten times more likely to shoot yourself or a family member than a criminal breaking in!

Dumbass propogandists.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:53:01 AM EDT
Friggin' eggheads....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:53:05 AM EDT
A 7% difference doesn't seem very significant to me. All that shows me is that there are probably about 5-10% of people with guns who are willing to be bigger assholes because they are armed. That means that the majority do not do engage in this sort of behavior.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:55:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 9:57:02 AM EDT by TheFreepster]
This is foolish science-
They are trying to imply that guns make people more agressive (horseshit)

I would agree, however, that agressive people are more likely to buy guns. But getting rid of guns isn't going to make them less agressive.

This is like saying fat people wear bigger pants and then implying that the big pants made then fat.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:56:07 AM EDT
Mayor Street says he wants to make it harder to buy a gun in Philadelphia, because we're all crazy and we'll go around shooting people we're angry at on the highways.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:01:21 AM EDT
funny, if my sidearm is in my car or not has no effect on my roadrage. If you are a stupid fucking bitch (male or female) and do something stupid that affects me, I will blair my horn at you and make obscene comments to you.

When I carry my sidearm, I am actually more prone to going out of my way to avoid confrontation. Yes a sidearm makes me more polite just because I dont wanna have to escalate the situation. I would rather avoid somethign like that.

I never, EVER want to have to employ my sidearm, but will if the situation warrants it.

hrm, I am feeling like I am not conveying myself very well right now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:05:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Belfry_Express:
When I carry my sidearm, I am actually more prone to going out of my way to avoid confrontation. Yes a sidearm makes me more polite just because I dont wanna have to escalate the situation. I would rather avoid somethign like that.

I never, EVER want to have to employ my sidearm, but will if the situation warrants it.

I find myself doing this alot, when I'm carrying. I've lost count of the number of times I've told my wife, man, if I wasn't carrying I would have flipped that asshole the bird/chewed him out. Can't do that when you're armed...unless you want to go to pound-me-in-the-ass prison afterwards.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:11:11 AM EDT
Guns don't give people the finger. People do.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:11:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 10:15:08 AM EDT by Coolio]

Originally Posted By Jetlag:
Mayor Street says he wants to make it harder to buy a gun in Philadelphia, because we're all crazy and we'll go around shooting people we're angry at on the highways.

Hey JL,
You're probably aware that there was just an arrest here in Philly the other day for a homicide/road rage incident. The perp used a knife!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:14:28 AM EDT
I don't know what's worse. The fact that these so called scientists can believe such horseshit, or the fact that there will be a lot of people who will open wide and swallow it down like a dog going back to its vomit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:15:55 AM EDT
I'm personally even more careful when I'm packing.

Where did they do this survey? Billy Badass's House O'Drinkin', Drivin' and Shootin'?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:16:46 AM EDT
This just in....

Armed motorists more likely to be able to defend themselves than unarmed ones.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:21:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 10:22:33 AM EDT by SHIVAN]
People who own guns, and carry guns regularly, are not usually meek little flowers.

Without knowing the surrounding incident{s}, how can a % tell you if the person was reacting normally or an overtly aggressive way?

Stupid statistical number jumbling.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:26:19 AM EDT

oh look. another non-biased "scientific" study coming from an institution of higher learning in one of the most liberal areas of the nation.

note: if this study was aimed at any other race, denomination, creed, or religion, it would not have been published.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:26:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mauser101:
This just in....

Armed motorists more likely to be able to defend themselves than unarmed ones.

And in other news, scientists have determined that a gun in the home is more likely to be used against you. Using that same logic they were also able to scientifically determine that people who are alive are far more likely to die than people who are dead.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:44:32 AM EDT
43% of all statistics are made up.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:32:41 AM EDT
So, they are basing their study off of interviews and personal recollection?

How about a double blind study with a control group? You know, a study that may have any merit at all?

How about this interpretation.....

2400 drivers.
Unknown percentage of drivers with firearms versus percentage of drivers without firearms.

23% of drivers with firearms admitted making rude gestures
16% of drivers with out firearms admitted making rude gestures

All other factors are equal; therefore, it is safe to assume a similar number actually made rude gestures

Conclusion: Drivers who carry firearms are more likely to be honest. Drivers without firearms are more likely to be dishonest.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:34:28 AM EDT
Oh, Horseshit.

I carry daily and if I ain't shot any of the braindead dipshits driving cars daily down here, it ain't gonna happen.

SG
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:36:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hipster:
03 February 2006...
Some 23 per cent of gun-toting drivers admitted making rude signs, compared with 16 per cent of those who did not carry guns (Accident Analysis and Prevention, DOI:10.1016/j.aap.2005.12.014).

So this study indicates a statistically significant correlation between having a gun in the car and honesty?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:40:49 AM EDT
Well, this is true, as we all know. Guns make people do bad things! I mean, EVERYONE knows THAT!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:43:25 AM EDT
That is an out and out baldfaced fucking LIE!

I want some of us to do a peer review of that data. I don't believe it until I do.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:45:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 11:54:00 AM EDT by gardenWeasel]

03 February 2006
From New Scientist Print Edition

"Our findings indicate that the people driving around with guns in their cars are not among the most responsible and best-behaved people on the road," says Vriniotis.

www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18925373.800

They must have interviewed too many LEOs.
Whenever I carry, I am an .
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:46:25 AM EDT
Another libertard.

Max
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:46:54 AM EDT

shows that motorists who carry guns in their cars are far more likely to indulge in road rage - driving aggressively or making obscene gestures - than motorists without guns. Some 23 per cent of gun-toting drivers admitted making rude signs, compared with 16 per cent of those who did not carry guns (Accident Analysis and Prevention, DOI:10.1016/j.aap.2005.12.014).

And I don't supposed it occoured to the good Doctor to ask whether or not the person who admitted to carrying a gun while driving:

1. Had a permit for the gun?
2. Was prohibited from owning or firing a gun by felony conviction??

Because if he HAD asked such questions, care to guess how many of the "agressive" ones would have been permit holders??
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:47:45 AM EDT
The people who did not carry guns did not display road rage as much only because they were afraid the other person might have had a gun.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:55:36 AM EDT
Don’t you realize what this means people will start shooting each other on the nations highways it will be like Road Warrior! It s going to happen Now!

May be Now!

Ok now?

Never mine.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:59:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

shows that motorists who carry guns in their cars are far more likely to indulge in road rage - driving aggressively or making obscene gestures - than motorists without guns. Some 23 per cent of gun-toting drivers admitted making rude signs, compared with 16 per cent of those who did not carry guns (Accident Analysis and Prevention, DOI:10.1016/j.aap.2005.12.014).

And I don't supposed it occoured to the good Doctor to ask whether or not the person who admitted to carrying a gun while driving:

1. Had a permit for the gun?
2. Was prohibited from owning or firing a gun by felony conviction??

Because if he HAD asked such questions, care to guess how many of the "agressive" ones would have been permit holders??

big +1
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:01:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 12:03:12 PM EDT by efpeter]

Perhaps the print edition has more substantiating evidence than the online version, but this really seems like little more than an editorial to me. I am not familiar with your magazine, but if this is any indication, you are using the word 'science' very loosely.
Perhaps you could do a study and find out why U.S. cities with the strictist firearm laws have the highest crime rates, and those with the most liberal firearm laws have the lowest crime rates.
I would also like to know why you believe that Police should be able to decide who is permitted the right to own a firearm? Should the police be able to decide who is permitted the right to free speech also? Should the police determine who is not permitted due process of law? Trial by jury?
There is nothing in your article that leads me to believe you did anything but search for a statistic to support an editorial you had already written. I really don't have a problem with that, just don't refer to yourself as a scientist.

letter to editor
Top Top