Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/3/2006 6:21:55 AM EDT
I know what most think of them here, but after reading some reviews on the net there was some very positive things said about this gun. Is the SW5 the one rifle SW made right?  Anyone have hands on experience with one? Not looking for hearsay but real facts or observations. What would you pay for one? I may have an opportunity to buy one.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#1]
INCOMING!

Seriously, I've never had any experience with their products, but based on the nearly unanimous opinion in past threads about their products, I would be very hesitant to buy one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I know absolutly nothing about the guns except what I have heard. None of that is good.

What I do know is that Todd Bailey(former owner of Special Weapons) is notorious for lying, creating multiple troll accounts on boards all over the internet, and running his own board where noone is allowed to post facts about his guns. Odds are, if you read a really good Special Weapons review, Todd wrote it.

I did some pretty extensive research on this very subject a couple of years ago and could find noone anywhere who would say that these rifles were anything more than a crapshoot. There are certainly those who are pleased with their guns, but there are many more who have had nothing but trouble.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What would you pay for one? I may have an opportunity to buy one.

10 bucks (with a guarantee) considering the horror stories I've read.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I forgot to answer the question on price. The suggested rate seems to be blue book value minus the cost of a complete rebuild, or however much it would cost a competant gunsmith to unfuck the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#5]
All hail the Toad, master of building disasters….. utoh…… now I gonna’ get sued…………
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#6]
ALL YOU INTERNOT JURKS ARE JEALOURS AND WOERK AT 7-11 AND CANN'T AFFORD TEHM ANYWAY.

SPECIAL WEAPONS SW5 AM BEST GUN OUT THERER AND ONLY AVAILIBLE TO CIVILIUNS FOR A LIMITED TIME SO GET YOUERS FAST BEFORE WE ONLY SELL TO MILITARY.

FORUGN MILITARY AM WILL BUY THEM FAST BECUAESE THEY ARE MUCH BETTER THAN OBVERPRICED HK JUNK GUNS WHICH COST EXACLTY THE SAME.

I'M GOING TO SOO YOU.

VISIT MY MESSAGE BOREDS WHICH AM HAVE REAL USERS AND NOT JUST ME.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#7]
"
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ALL YOU INTERNOT JURKS ARE JEALOURS AND WOERK AT 7-11 AND CANN'T AFFORD TEHM ANYWAY.

SPECIAL WEAPONS SW5 AM BEST GUN OUT THERER AND ONLY AVAILIBLE TO CIVILIUNS FOR A LIMITED TIME SO GET YOUERS FAST BEFORE WE ONLY SELL TO MILITARY.

FORUGN MILITARY AM WILL BUY THEM FAST BECUAESE THEY ARE MUCH BETTER THAN OBVERPRICED HK JUNK GUNS WHICH COST EXACLTY THE SAME.

I'M GOING TO SOO YOU.

Channeling Toad again, are we, Steyr?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'M GOING TO SOO YOU.

That was right on Auggie!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I know they are not the best option, nor even close to a real HK, but my thinking was I can grab this SW5 for $900, have Jayson from IGF do the rework on them for $450 and have a decent clone for 1350.

Am I off here or is this not a decent deal. Please stop me if you still think I am making a big mistake. I will never be able to afford a real one, so that is out, but I also don't want a 1350 POS.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:04:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I know they are not the best option, nor even close to a real HK, but my thinking was I can grab this SW5 for $900, have Jayson from IGF do the rework on them for $450 and have a decent clone for 1350.

Am I off here or is this not a decent deal. Please stop me if you still think I am making a big mistake. I will never be able to afford a real one, so that is out, but I also don't want a 1350 POS.  

If I were you I'd disassemble it and carefully inspect it before buying and I'd want to shoot it first too.  I know someone who bought one and he's never gotten it to run right.

Personally, I wouldn't give more than $500 for one, but that's just based on what I've read and heard from people who have bought them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Buddy I shoot Sillywets with had one, notice the ‘Had’. Think of it as the Yugo of the Gun world. Looks ok from a distance, but don’t get too close cause it looked like Cr*p, or try to use it as it worked like Cr*p. He spent almost as much money trying to get it to run good as he paid for it.
Others  MAY have had better luck. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My customers who have attempted the same in the past have run into the following issues.

1. Poor quality, out of spec parts.

2. Poor quality, out of spec build.

They geneally require being taken down to parts and completely rebuilt to result in a mostly unreliable firearm due to the poor quality, out of spec parts. This obviosuly can cost twice what was initially paid.

The other altenative was to buy the receivers and part kits (back when they were available) and have them built by someone competent. While more cost effective than the above this still results in a mostly unreliable firearm due to the poor quality, out of spec parts.

We had our smith build a couple guns on a SW receiver using all factory German parts and a registered sear (which eliminates the need for 922r US parts) as a abusable and disposable host gun. This required the purchase and destruction of a post sample MP5 (about 1,100) in addition to the cost of the build and resulted in a more reliable firearm. However spec issues with the reciever still managed to plague even that firearm. This is also why most HK smiths will not work on clones, or even clone receivers.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:13:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If you have $900 (and I doubt you will find a SW5 for that, they sell for a lot more for some reason) get another $150 and buy a Colt 6450.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn you guys are starting to talk me out of this supposed great deal I fell into

Don't misunderstand me, I appreciate it. I just really thought I had it all worked out

Maybe I'll just stick with the Storm I have and buy that damn Garand I've been wanting for years now from the CMP.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Damn you guys are starting to talk me out of this supposed great deal I fell into

Don't misunderstand me, I appreciate it. I just really thought I had it all worked out

Maybe I'll just stick with the Storm I have and buy that damn Garand I've been wanting for years now from the CMP.

Actually if you are looking for a semi 9mm carbine grab a Colt 6450. If you can't find one, go with a Rock River 9mm build.

Probably the best 9mm semi carbine available.

if you HAVE to have a HK, then grab a REAL HK94. DOC guns are still out there at half the price HK94s usually sell for. You can pick them up for about $2500 still and when the well runs dry they will be back up to $4,500 or so in a few years.

In addition to getting it while it was cheap as hell, you will have an actual HK.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#17]
man, i keep hearing bobcat weps (bw) are made on sw receivers, are made by sw, are the same as sw, blah blah blah. all i can say is that my bw mp5k is the shizzle! if sw is the same, then go for it. or you can buy a bw and get it through atlantic firearms for an arf.com discount.

might wanna check out the hk section in the armory forums for additional info...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#18]

If you have $900 (and I doubt you will find a SW5 for that, they sell for a lot more for some reason) get another $150 and buy a Colt 6450.

Steyr,
Honestly I do have a done deal for a SW5 for $900.00 It will be shipped, so I cannot fire or inspect it priot to purchase -If I go through with it -which at this point you all have pretty much talked em out of it.
The guys like me, he has something else he wants and is willing to take a loss on what he is selling. I do it all the time

So even at 900 I am assuming (after reading your replys) it is still not worth it right Steyr?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Whenever there's a doubt, there isn't any.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:26:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Steyr,
Honestly I do have a done deal for a SW5 for $900.00 It will be shipped, so I cannot fire or inspect it priot to purchase -If I go through with it -which at this point you all have pretty much talked em out of it.
The guys like me, he has something else he wants and is willing to take a loss on what he is selling. I do it all the time

So even at 900 I am assuming (after reading your replys) it is still not worth it right Steyr?

I wouldn't buy one at $400.

The internet is full of people who think they are wonderful. Most of them have never owned a real HK and also think the SKS is a super assault rifle.

It's your money so it's your call.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#21]
If you are thinking about 9mm carbines....

I have two 6450s and I also have two Kel-Tec Sub 9s (not the newer Sub2000s with polymer receiver - I prefer the aluminum receivers to the polymer).

They are all fun to shoot.

I would love to have an MP5 clone, though.  As long as it worked.  

It goes without saying that I would prefer the real thing, of course.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#22]
If you have to buy some kind of SW/Bobcat/Cohaire MP5 clone, do it through Vector Arms. They will back their product and make sure it works, even if it needs to be sent in for more work from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Allright Boom. Between you, Steyr and all the other guys that were kind enough to respond I just emailed him and said I had to backout of the deal.

Thanks for saving me guys.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Allright Boom. Between you, Steyr and all the other guys that were kind enough to respond I just emailed him and said I had to backout of the deal.

Thanks for saving me guys.

DON'T LISTKEN TO INTERNOT JURKS WHO WORSK AT 7-11 JOBS!!!! I MAKEM GUD GONS!

THERYE JUST JEALOUSY THAT THEY CAM'T AFFORD THEM.

COMINGS NEW FROM SPECIAL BOBCAT TOP NOTCH TACTICAL WEAPONS...

THE NEW IMPROVES SW2006 TACTICAL SPECIAL SNIPER RIFLE.

SOON TO BE SOLD TO MILITARY OVERSEAS EVERYWHERE AND THEN NO CIVILIAN SALES EVAR. GOT YOURS NOW WHILE YOU CAN.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#26]
LMFAO  

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What I do know is that Todd Bailey(former owner of Special Weapons) is notorious for lying, creating multiple troll accounts on boards all over the internet, and running his own board where noone is allowed to post facts about his guns. Odds are, if you read a really good Special Weapons review, Todd wrote it.

+1.  I don't care if the man is selling Ferraris for $10.  I won't put ANY money into the pocket of a person like that.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

SOON TO BE SOLD TO MILITARY OVERSEAS EVERYWHERE AND THEN NO CIVILIAN SALES EVAR. GOT YOURS NOW WHILE YOU CAN.

Needs a verticle Grip to be super-tacticle...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You're on a roll today!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Can some find and link the similar thread we had a few weeks ago?

That thread had a link with some funny stuff.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a friend with a SW45. He got it a few years back during the ban . Paid thru the nose for it and he has never gotten thru a mag or two with out a jam up .
But here is the real kicker for me .
He bought this during the AW ban .
Todd shipped him 2 30 round mags with it .
The mags he used where Modified Grease Gun mags .
He welded a mag block on to the mags.
My buddy also has a Semi Grease Gun .
Now these mags will not work in his Grease gun , because of the block they will not fit .

From what I remember of the AW ban you could modify mags . BUT they had to still work in the original gun or you made a HI cap mag and did pound in the ass time if caught .

Todd shipped this shit to him .
Fuck that . That dude will never see a dime of my cash .
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I know what most think of them here, but after reading some reviews on the net there was some very positive things said about this gun. Is the SW5 the one rifle SW made right?  Anyone have hands on experience with one? Not looking for hearsay but real facts or observations. What would you pay for one? I may have an opportunity to buy one.

You need to post this in the HK forum, you'll get a better answer from people who actually own them...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Since people are jumping in with 9mm carbine suggestions.  Have you looked into the Uzi?  Fun as heck.  About the same price as the storm.  Mags are relativly cheap.  16" barrel with stock folded makes a 24" long gun.

It's heavy, but fun as heck to shoot, and really gets looks at the range.  Novice gun people view it as more "evil" than AR's.  Expecial with a fake supressor on it.

I am also planning on SBRing it.  With a 10" barrel it will be 18" overall folded.

Mine:
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Depending on how fucked up of a gun you get, you might have to pay more or less than $450...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Since people are jumping in with 9mm carbine suggestions.  Have you looked into the Uzi?  Fun as heck.  About the same price as the storm.  Mags are relativly cheap.  16" barrel with stock folded makes a 24" long gun.

It's heavy, but fun as heck to shoot, and really gets looks at the range.  Novice gun people view it as more "evil" than AR's.  Expecial with a fake supressor on it.

Mine:
nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/album36/DSCF0754.sized.jpg

That's a sexy little number. How does the fake can work? Sturdy?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine:
nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/album36/DSCF0754.sized.jpg

That's a sexy little number. How does the fake can work? Sturdy?

There is a 16" barrel under there.  The fake silencer is a piece of fiberglass with a hole drilled down the center that shrouds the barrel.  A barrel nut is integrated with the fake supressor, so I just put the barrel in the gun, slide the shroud over and tighten it by hand.  Rock solid, and a nice little heat shield too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok I actually owned a SW5 or shall I say it once OWNED me. At first it was ok, it would only jam once in a while. Maybe once every 150 rounds. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot. Then it started to jam every shot. Double feed,stovepipe etc. I spent $100 on springs and various parts to no avail, it would run ok for a little while and then start jamming every shot.  
Sold it to someody who thought he could fix it.     I now have a real HK94 it it has never failed to fire yet.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought the SW52 back during the first run for $800. (7.62 cal) I first used Monarch ammo from Academy and had jam problems every 10 shots. By buddy bought the same gun and used Wolf with no problems. I started using Wolf ammo and since then have had no problems. SW told me they had a fix to feed problem. I could sent my gun in and pay $125 for a upgrade kit which reduced the trunion spacing. I never did since it feeds fine with Wolf ammo.

ETA: I bought 2 and sold the other for $1250
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#39]
rbailey…………. Your not related to that amphibian Toad are you ?????????j/k
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to post this in the HK forum, you'll get a better answer from people who actually own them...

Yes, you can't get good answers from someone like me.

I don't own one and my experience is limited to only having worked on about a hundred of them or so for customers who were trying to get them to run.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Some work, most don't. Very few good HK/HK clone smiths will work on them. Avoid unless you have personal experience with the seller and know the working order of the firearm. Otherwise, you could eisily end up with one of the many with issues.

Least that is the rational word on the internet.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#43]
SW the Yugo of small arms.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I have experience, I was a victim.

I bought a Speshul Weapons SW5 about 4-5 years ago, it was the absolute single most purchasing mistake I ever made.

The damn thing didn't work for shit. After ohhhhh...let's see here....6 MONTHS of waiting! A replacement came in. That too was a non-functioning paper weight.

I was then totally abandoned by their "customer service".

I don't know how "TOAD" sleeps at night. What a total shitty thing to do to people.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, you can't get good answers from someone like me.

I don't own one and my experience is limited to only having worked on about a hundred of them or so for customers who were trying to get them to run.

No, not you personally...

I'm talking about the same kind of people who bash the SCAR and have never seen, held, or shot one and know everything about it from pictures and rumors from the internet...

I'm not defending it either...

When IGF sends my gun back, I'm selling it...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#47]
For some reason when people talk about Toad Bailey I have a mental image of Jimmy Wichard from King of the hill
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#48]
man I cant wait till the shot show so I can go heckle Toad
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Please get video, Please!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please get video, Please!!!!!!!!!!!

no press pass=no video or digital photography
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top