Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Music that is.  I remember listening to Metallica as a kid, and though it was heavy, I knew that someone would come along that was faster and grindier, and many groups have, some going well beyond the point of incoherency.

So where is metal going to go now?

Metal died a while ago.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The only band  that defines heavy metal, past or present is  BLACK SABBATH ,there will never be another band that even comes close to their  influence on'' metal'  I've seen them perform with OZZY and  DIO and they just kick ass, no glitz, no pyrotecnic bullshit, just pure heavy metal!

Black Sabbath is the most boring live act I've ever seen.  I love their music, but that was the first time I was ever bored at a concert.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Metal died a while ago.

Agree.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
BTW, the new In Flames album is out now. Pretty damn heavy.

After hearing their last album, I am scared to listen to this.  I saw a video from the last one and they were in Los Angeles cruising in lowriders....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Pop Metal died a while ago.

Fixed it.  And it's a good thing!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Some of the metal these days is good and hard, right up until the bowel sounds/oral wet runny farts that the frontmen try to pass off as "vocals".

I could shit on a microphone and make as much fucking sense.

SG
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Black Sabbath is the most boring live act I've ever seen.  I love their music, but that was the first time I was ever bored at a concert.

I saw Sabbath's "live evil" tour - probably around 1981 or something? - and I thought it was a great show.  No fancy-schmancy effects or lasers or anything, but just awesome music.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]
You must go to 93.3 the bone, they are out of Dallas, you can get it through your puter, but they have so really great music.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Metal died a while ago.

December 8, 2004 RIP Dime

April 19, 2005  RIP Brian
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw Sabbath's "live evil" tour - probably around 1981 or something? - and I thought it was a great show.  No fancy-schmancy effects or lasers or anything, but just awesome music.

I saw them the same time. 1982 Phili Spectrum. I was in shock. One of the first concerts I'ld been to. Shortly after that I saw Judas Priest Defenders tour at MSG in NYC. The energy destroyed anything Sabbath could have done. Fast foward....1984? Black Flag. Fuck me! I haven't been to an arena concert since. Club shows of the 80's killed!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I dont think it could get much shittier.. Well, the local stuff around here anyway...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My god, guys,,,,,,,,,anybody ever remember AC/DC?!?!?

Put on the song Thunder, (I think that was the title) turn it up and enjoy!  You young whipper snapers must of missed out?  

Ah..

The Classics

Highway to Hell
Get it Hot
If you want Blood
Walk All Over You
Shot Down in Flames
Hell's Bells
Whole Lotta Rosie
Shook Me All Night Long
Have a Drink on Me
What do you do for Money Honey
Back in Black
For those about to Rock
Thunderstruck
Money Talks

AC/DC is one of those rare bands with a LOT of decent material...

Agreed that there is a lot of garbage coming out these days...

When I was kid, listening to this stuff...

Kids were commiting suicide, not shooting up schools...

The holy rolers all blamed the metal bands....

AC/DC supposedly meant Anti Christ/ Devil's Child...

The lead singer said the band was named after the plate on the back of his sewing machine motor.

Those were the days...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw them the same time. 1982 Phili Spectrum. I was in shock. One of the first concerts I'ld been to. Shortly after that I saw Judas Priest Defenders tour at MSG in NYC. The energy destroyed anything Sabbath could have done. Fast foward....1984? Black Flag. Fuck me! I haven't been to an arena concert since. Club shows of the 80's killed!

Sorry, you guys didn't see Black Sabbath.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, you guys didn't see Black Sabbath.

Your right! They had a singer this time
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Most all of the good metal is coming out of europe these days-

Emperor
Dimmu borgir
Early In flames(they have been mainstream nu-metal since ReRoute to Remain)
The Haunted
Children of Bodom

Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Emperor
Dimmu borgir
The Haunted
Children of Bodom

Hell yeah!

+1
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#17]
not trying to start anything just remembering good old days when they did not sound like they do now. We would call the radio stations and request any metal band and they would laugh at us. Its so much better now music wise, more choices.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Metal isn't dead.  It's just branched out into different styles.  

Check out Trivium.  They are amazing and clean.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:20:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Other bands play, MANOWAR KILLS!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:07:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

MANOWAR - Kingdom of Cheese!

Death to false metal!!

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Metal died a while ago.

Agree.

Oh, hell no!! Corprorations may have killed mainstream music but there is still a demand for real Metal and Progressive.

I am not a Death or Speed Metal freak, I prefer traditional Heavy Metal...and there are bands that are still doing it...you just won't hear it on the shitbag Clear Channel Communications stations ( or Sandusky or any of the other Corp.ses out there ) that have demolished private radio.

For all of you old school fans Maiden is still doing traditional Metal and my personal favorite is HELLOWEEN.  There's quite a few bands out there doing it but I need my old roomie to list them all. I have been out of the music scene for years. He's pretty much an authority on Metal and Punk.  I also have a buddy at work ( a black guy, believe it or not ) who could write a dictionary on 70s 80s and 90's metal.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I guess i am having trouble deciding whether my tastes have changed or the new musack that is marketed as metal sucks.

The old stuff I listened o as a kid still play in rotation and it still rocks, but I just can't get into KSE, fear Factory, Korn, SlipKnot, or any of the other newer bands, and I am really tired of having to listen to every song a band puts out to weed out one or two worth listening too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MANOWAR - Kingdom of Cheese!

Death to false metal!!

OH NO YOU DI'INT!!!!!

Manowar Manowar living on the road
When we're in town speakers explode
We don't attract wimps 'cause we're too loud
Just true metal people that's Manowar's crowd

They wanna keep us down
But they can't last
When we get up we're gonna kick your ass
Gonna keep on burnin'
We always will
Other bands play Manowar kill

We like it hard, we like it fast
We got the biggest amps, man they blast
True metal people wanna rock not pose
Wearin' jeans and leather, not cracker jack clothes

They wanna keep us down
But they can't last
Gonna keep on burnin'
We always will

We're the kings of metal comin' to town
When we light up, have the roof nailed down
Don't try to tell us that we're too loud
'Cause there ain't no way that we'll ever turn down

They wanna keep us down
But they can't last
Gonna keep on burnin'
We always will
other bands play Manowar kill

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Most of them just degenerate into thrashing and screaming in order to be 'heavy'.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:37:48 AM EDT
[#25]
No one has mentioned Cathedral yet....  Black Sabbathy, but heavier and grindier.   Iommi even plays with them on a song or two
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#26]
CORROSION OF COMFORMITY

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:41:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
No one has mentioned Cathedral yet....  Black Sabbathy, but heavier and grindier.   Iommi even plays with them on a song or two

Or Trouble.

Also Black Sabbathy.  Fave albums are Psalm 9 and The Skull (1983 & 1984, IIRC).

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One of my all time favorites was Fates Warning, and they are still together to a degree.  However, they are very prog metal at this time, and while they have retained musicianship, they've lost some of the rage needed for good metal.  It goes away with age, and is a natural progression.  Hell, I'm into Jesse Cook now days anyhoo...

Wow, Fates Warning.  I played my "The Spectre Within" record a lot, and got it on CD as soon as the CD came out.  Good stuff.

I'm more of an Awaken the Guardian type...  I'd have liked it more if Ray Adler did that on instead of John Arch.

I've got all 10 FW albums, yes, there are 10.

I was listening to a little Savatage earlier tonight...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, I just picked up a free copy of Numbers form the Beast, a Tribute to Iron Maiden, and must say that plain ol heavy metal is still the best.

I never understood the facination with bands like Pantera. Couldn't understand a single thing that was being said because the singer tried to growl the verses. Same with Slayer, Morbid Angel, and all the other 'death metal'.

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Sabbath, RJD, Ozzy.. THAT is Heavy Metal. Music you could understand, but was still heavy.

One band that had a really good song was Laaz Rocket, the song The Omen. Heavy, but very melodic.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#30]
New stuff
Pig Destroyer
Norma Jean
The Red Chord
Sepultura / Soulfly

The originals
Motörhead
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin

I used to (heart) Type O Negative
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Metal should have died a quick death after the Pantera era
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#32]
36 crazyfists anyone?

I gotta promote the local boys.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I love In Flames, maybe because im half Swed....

however, the hardest song I can still make out the lyrics to is "My Own Summer" by the Deftones...God I love the Deftones!

Nuke Blast records has a ton of heavy hitters on there label, cant remember any of my favs off the top but below is a few of my other hard favs.

Atreyu "Right Side of the bed" and "The Crimson"   OH DAMN SO GOOD
Sub Dub Micromachine is Anvil heavy metal!
Holotype "Shadowbox"
Killswitch Engage is pretty heavy too.

Has anyone on here listened to Chronix Aggression on iTunes under the metal section of the internet radio.  Those guys get great new stuff from bands way before they make it big, and alot of it is HEAVY.  I wont even listen to the crappy "rock" stations in the area I am in anymore, it is just pathetic.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
36 crazyfists anyone?

I gotta promote the local boys.  

OH HELL YES, I didnt even see this post

there song "the heart and the shape"  SWEET, also "Bloodwork" and "slit wrist theory"   Such great songs!

I wish they got more play in texas...alas...I heard of them from internet radio off of itunes, great band!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:36:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I'd love to see some links to these Metal bands. Lamb of God is one I can offer. I especially like "Laid to Rest" from Ashes of the Wake, selection 3 on their online Radio. I'm a drummer (was, anyway, haven't played for real in decades) and I like the drummer in this band. Very tight, aggressive and exact. For some really intense stuff - I don't listen to it, but have it bookmarked - check out Black Metal Radio.

If you think current Metal is intense, look into Free Jazz. This stuff began in the 1960s when Rock was tame and just discovering hard edges. I've got to mention John Coltrane. Check him out. He got very extreme at the end of his life. There are many more. Here's a link to streaming or downloadable mp3s by a German sax player, Peter Brotzman. He's still making music as far as I know. Also, check out Ken Vandermark on the same site. Another one to listen to is John Zorn (do a websearch). If you like the aggression and chaos of Metal you owe yourself a listen to Free Jazz. One place to hear it online is at 1dot4.fm.

GL
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:44:16 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mmmm...Swedish Black Metal.

+1

Fixed. MARDUK!

DISSECTION!

Jon Nodtveidt got out of prison recently, maybe we'll see another Dissection album.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
mind sludge

(commentary, not a band name)

loss of tonality in music ties in directly with the nihilistic decay of philosophy in modern culture.  The empty music is a product of empty minds.

You just described the "rock" and "metal" that gets radio airplay nowaways, not death metal or black metal.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:49:35 AM EDT
[#38]
GunLogic, I am trying to listen to some free jazz, but I just can't get into it.  It sounds like when I hit a flock of Canadian geese with my truck.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:55:51 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Emperor
Dimmu borgir
The Haunted
Children of Bodom

I don't know about "these days", Emperor hasn't made a decent record since about 1997 (are they even still around?). DB never did anything for me, even in the mid-90's. In Flames is a rock band now, same with Dark Tranquillity. I haven't kept up with The Haunted or CoB.

I love Opeth.

and on and on...

There has been another band that almost matches Black Sabbath in terms of influence-Judas Priest. 1976's Sad Wings of Destiny took metal from Sabbath's early sludge and doom sound to the more speedy, grinding sound. EVERY album from Sad Wings to Defenders of the Faith is pretty much a classic.

Agreed on Priest. Painkiller is also a classic, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Most of them just degenerate into thrashing and screaming in order to be 'heavy'.

Thrashing and screaming is awesome if it's done right. Think Kreator or early Dark Angel.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Opeth?  Isn't that the DM band fronted by a seriously growly chick?  Or is that Othep?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:02:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
GunLogic, I am trying to listen to some free jazz, but I just can't get into it.  It sounds like when I hit a flock of Canadian geese with my truck.

Important note. DO NOT THINK OF SINGING GEESE! I know what you mean. I try to keep that image out of my mind, and I really do like the music. It takes some getting used to, but if you get it, you won't hear it like you're hearing it now.

GL
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:05:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Opeth?  Isn't that the DM band fronted by a seriously growly chick?  Or is that Othep?

That would be Opera IX. She's not in the band anymore, BTW.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be Opera IX. She's not in the band anymore, BTW.

Damn.....say there is another chick fronted DM band I heard on "Into the Pit" a local DM/Hardcore show and they were really cool....chick would alternate from hyper operatic to growling......very melodic and heavy music.  Any idea of who that is?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:29:36 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Damn.....say there is another chick fronted DM band I heard on "Into the Pit" a local DM/Hardcore show and they were really cool....chick would alternate from hyper operatic to growling......very melodic and heavy music.  Any idea of who that is?

She was/is in a new band called Cadaveria. I have their first album from about 2003, don't know if they made another. I can't think of any other bands with growling chicks. She's pretty unique.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:43:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She was/is in a new band called Cadaveria. I have their first album from about 2003, don't know if they made another. I can't think of any other bands with growling chicks. She's pretty unique.

Verrrrry interesting......may have to check that out....thank you, Sir!!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:56:53 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Fixed. MARDUK!hr

"I believe in life eternal, as promised to us by our lord Jesus Christ!"

Swedish black metal is the sheit:

Allegiance
Funeral Mist
Malign
Ofermod
Ondskapt
Sorhin
Shining
Watain
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:49:15 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Yes.  I've listened to a lot of metal in my day, but the crap that's coming out now is just an arms race of shit.  "Oh, they're fast and heavy?  Well, I'm gonna tune down to C and play twice as fast.  I need forearms like Popeye to play that fast, but that's the price I pay for my art."

Metal isn't about being louder, faster, and heavier than the next guy.  I guess I'm just getting old but all this shit sounds the same now.  I watch a couple of minutes of Uranium on Fuse, and you literally can't pick out the artists, they sound like they're all on the same album.  

I prefer some melody in my metal.  About the hardest I can listen to and still enjoy is In Flames or Killswitch Engage.  

Metallica did do some interesting stuff early on.  They pretty much created the sound, or at least brought it to the surface.  Frankly I hated most early Metallica when I first heard it, it was just too hard to listen to.  Now I enjoy it, partly because it's an acquired taste and partly because there is so much shit out there now that it actually sounds good.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:21:33 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
New stuff
Sepultura / Soulfly

I do like Soulfly.  

Quoted:
Thrashing and screaming is awesome if it's done right. Think Kreator or early Dark Angel.

Kreator's "Pleasure to Kill" is a thrash classic!  

Quoted:
Important note. DO NOT THINK OF SINGING GEESE! I know what you mean. I try to keep that image out of my mind, and I really do like the music. It takes some getting used to, but if you get it, you won't hear it like you're hearing it now.

I don't know what you're talking about, but...

I think I need a sig line!

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:24:30 AM EDT
[#50]
www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110007902

That's Good Enough for Me
Cookie Monsters of death-metal music.

BY JIM FUSILLI
Wednesday, February 1, 2006 12:01 a.m. EST

While the extreme branch of heavy-metal music known as death metal is defined in part by often-vile lyrics about violence, catastrophic destruction, nihilism, anarchy and paranoia, its singing style is associated with a beloved goggle-eyed, fuzzy blue puppet.

Death-metal vocalizing is also known as Cookie Monster singing, if not in tribute to, at least in acknowledgment of, the "Sesame Street" puppet that blurts in a guttural growl, his words discharged so rapidly that they tend to collide with each other.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top