Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 10:46:16 PM EDT
Ok - I have a problem and dont want to go to the dentist.

My teeth/gums are in realative good health. Had a check up a year ago. No cavaties, and other than needing to floss more, and tender gums, not real  problems.

Well I had a tender/sore gum above my right canine. Sooo I use qtips with rubbing alcohol. And it felt much better in a few days. BUT - I noticed that my gum noticably receded.

Before this, the tooth next to it, going back (bicuspid?) i noticed the gum is a bit recided.

Now they look fine, but my tooth is senstive now - especially to cold and some types of food. Like sweets.

I try to brush 2x a day. And use listerine. But its not getting better. I know, I know, floss. I am trying but its not every time.

SO - how do I get better health? Should I use a softer tooth brush? I read one place a stiff brush can hurt gums.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#1]
DONT skimp out on the dentist, I did, and its going to cost me $10,000 to fix...

Sounds like gingavitis (I know I spelled that wrong)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to the dentist.. I am personally terrified by them when i was a child my dentist would ask me " is it safe?" . I never knew what he was talking about till i got older. Just go they will give you some good drugs to calm your neves if you need it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Argh

A bump for me gums, me mateys!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't mess around. If you have something serious going on, I would think you want to know sooned rather than later.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I skipped out on the dentist for a long while and had no problems other than occassional gum sesitivity.  Two years ago when I decided my wife decided it was time to go back the dentist found that I had mild gingivitis.  I don't remeber all the peticulars but if you don't get it fixed you can expect BIG problems down the road.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#6]
First your gums recede, then the bone underneath; your teeth get loose, and they all fall out.

You can very easily put off the pain of something serious until it gets to the POINT OF LOTSA MONEY. Don't wait that long.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like vaginalcrustosis to me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]
OK - well - this is the question. Say I have "gingervitus" - now what?

What is the treatment?

I really dont know if its that big of a deal, beucase they dont look red and the gums dont hurt. I know you can have sensative teeth and be other wise fine.

Still - Id like to nip it in the bud. Is there anything else one can do besides brussing, flossing, and listerine?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What is the treatment?

I really dont know if its that big of a deal, beucase they dont look red and the gums dont hurt. I know you can have sensative teeth and be other wise fine.

Still - Id like to nip it in the bud. Is there anything else one can do besides brussing, flossing, and listerine?

Could you get someone to take a picture of your teeth and gums?  As close as possible, while still retaining picture quality would be best.  
There is a condition where a persons gums recede away from the line they should be at.  But this usually affects all the teeth, not just one or two.  I recomend using softer bristle toothbrushes, and make sure your not brushing too hard.

Oh and go to the dentist, he is your friend....your evil, saddistic friend....smile
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What is the treatment?

Yes it IS a big deal..... They will probably start you out with a flouride mouth wash or tooth paste.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What is the treatment?

You can have them clean and scrape UNDER your gums. Takes about a hour. Its great fun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a crown installed today - front top incisor.  Original was broken off when I got hit in the face with a pipe.

A Crown (and prior root canal ) costs a small Kings ransom.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That is why I am studying to be one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll trade you , your gingivitis for my lingual-side slab fracture of the right mandibular rear molar....that I just got about 5 hrs ago from biting down on a piece of bone in a Pal's hotdog.

I'll trade you a dentist too...called his "emergency no#" about 20minutes after it happened and still haven't heard back from him.

And the wifey's getting annoyed with me conversing with her using my Harpo Marx horn.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I had a crown installed today - front top incisor.  Original was broken off when I got hit in the face with a pipe.

How did you feel during and after the root canal ? I never had one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top