Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 10:42:24 PM EDT
Heres something ive been thinking about for some time...
how important is it for you and your girlfriend to have the same interests and beliefs/thoughts?

I know my girlfriend and I couldnt be any more different than one another...but somehow we get along great and do all sorts of stuff we enjoy doing together...going to the mall, hanging out, watching tv, making stuff, going to the rifle range.....

She likes punk/emo/rock music...I listen to rap/classical/foreign/whatever music...
She is an Education major, im International Studies....
She likes piercings and tatooes....im against tatooes (for the most part)
Shes a total gym/health nut....I try to be but fail miserably
She could just sit in and watch Rosanne for entertainment every day....I feel like I have to go and do something
She loves horror movies and other odd types....I am into action flicks......
Shes about as Irish looking (blue eyes, real white with freckles) as you can get...im dark olive skinned with green eyes...
She goes to bed early 99% the time as shes an early riser...I stay up all hours and sleep real late...
She focus' on school work greatly......I pass it off and do only what I need to
She is very "particular"/picky and must have her way......I want whatever, im not picky at all
She loves dogs......im a fan of cats myself, dogs are alright (since ive been around hers for some time now)
She wants to stay close to her mom after college....I want to move West or South, far far away from here....
She doesnt believe in going to church and has few religious beliefs....I have/had a strong religious upbringing with the church...
She hates getting her hair wet and fears the sun.....I bake outside in the sun and love pools....
Shes overly concerned with what others think....I could really care less

Ok onto other items....

Her family is "close" as in how they are/discuss with one another, mine is very formal....
Her parents are divorced (but possibly might get back togheter), mine are like the Brady Bunch
Her sister and brother had no college, ones a marine, ones a manager at a restaurant, my sister graduated from MIT...
She doesnt like to try many new types of food.....im willing to try anything at least once to see if its good..

Its just odd how two people can be so different, yet get along so well..."opposites attract", I guess this is true...the two of us are like black and white
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think your interests being similar are that important. But, I think your beliefs and morals need to be in order to have a good long term relationship.

I'm single right now though, so there's a good chance I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't think your interests being similar are that important. But, I think your beliefs and morals need to be in order to have a good long term relationship.

I'm single right now though, so there's a good chance I could be wrong.

our morals are definitly the same...if anything she has higher morals in some cases because she cares so greatly about others/her image/etc...

for our beliefs..she has religious beliefs, but she doesnt think you need to goto church to practice them...which I myself can agree with, but thats not how i was raised....

in these two senses we are fairly similar...it is only in our interests do we differ greatly....the good thing about that is that, I dont get bored with what she does, and she doesnt with what I do....she teaches me new things just as I do for her....  i have discovered new things shes introduced me to, just as i have to her......these are the positive attributes/aspects of having different interests from one another
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
"girlfriends, interests, similarities important or not?"

As long as our similar interest is hot sex, it's all good. That's what girlfriends are for. Wives are another matter.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:06:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I am single as well.  You all have to be into the same stuff or it won't workout or you will have a bunch of problems.

Max
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:14:24 AM EDT
[#6]
opposites attract, gotta have at least some diversity.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:22:05 AM EDT
[#7]

I've always felt that opposites attract while similarities are what keep us together.

There is no reason a relationship of two people with such different interests can't be successful but you might have to work a little harder at it.

There are some pretty critical issues (moving away versus staying, church, etc..) on which you have substantial differences.  Communication is key and you both need to decide how much you are willing to compromise to make this work.  

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been married for TEN years. We have almost nothing in common.  It keeps it interesting. You would be bored with someone just like you. You should have some common ground though. You have to do somethings togeher. Find something you both like and spend time together. Learn from each other and keep an open mind, the rest will take care of itself.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:10:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:10:31 AM EDT
[#10]

I had that destroy one college relationship.

Quite frankly, I'd say dont expect it to work out.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:12:31 AM EDT
[#11]
"Girlfriends, interests, similarities important or not?  

No.  It all changes after the first bite of wedding cake anyway; no way around it.

Well, that's not quite true if you like to shop or sit around wondering WTF? while you wait on her to get ready to go somewhere.

Seriously.  The whole stay close to Mom deal is bad, particularly in the coming economy where you will need to be as flexible as possible and able to move to the job.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:37:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
how important is it for you and your girlfriend to have the same interests and beliefs/thoughts?

I know my girlfriend and I couldnt be any more different than one another...but somehow we get along great and do all sorts of stuff we enjoy doing together...going to the mall, hanging out, watching tv, making stuff, going to the rifle range.....

She likes punk/emo/rock music...I listen to rap/classical/foreign/whatever music...
She could just sit in and watch Rosanne for entertainment every day....I feel like I have to go and do something
Shes about as Irish looking (blue eyes, real white with freckles) as you can get...im dark olive skinned with green eyes...
She goes to bed early 99% the time as shes an early riser...I stay up all hours and sleep real late... When do you have sex?
She is very "particular"/picky and must have her way......I want whatever, im not picky at all
She loves dogs......im a fan of cats myself, dogs are alright (since ive been around hers for some time now)
She wants to stay close to her mom after college....I want to move West or South, far far away from here....Big problem
She doesnt believe in going to church and has few religious beliefs....I have/had a strong religious upbringing with the church...Another big problem
She hates getting her hair wet and fears the sun.....I bake outside in the sun and love pools....
Shes overly concerned with what others think....I could really care lessThat will drive you nuts: "Mow the lawn, paint the house, our car is not as nice as theirs, etc."

Ok onto other items....

Her family is "close" as in how they are/discuss with one another,Every thing you do or say will be discussed with her whole family, mine is very formal....
Her parents are divorced (but possibly might get back togheter), mine are like the Brady Bunch
Her sister and brother had no college, ones a marine, ones a manager at a restaurant, my sister graduated from MIT...
She doesnt like to try many new types of food.....im willing to try anything at least once to see if its good..

Its just odd how two people can be so different, yet get along so well..."opposites attract", I guess this is true...the two of us are like black and white

Areas of concern, if you plan on getting married.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She goes to bed early 99% the time as shes an early riser...I stay up all hours and sleep real late... When do you have sex?
She wants to stay close to her mom after college....I want to move West or South, far far away from here....Big problem
She doesnt believe in going to church and has few religious beliefs....I have/had a strong religious upbringing with the church...Another big problem
Shes overly concerned with what others think....I could really care lessThat will drive you nuts: "Mow the lawn, paint the house, our car is not as nice as theirs, etc."

Ok onto other items....

Her family is "close" as in how they are/discuss with one another,Every thing you do or say will be discussed with her whole family, mine is very formal....

Areas of concern, if you plan on getting married.

If both of you are exactly the same, one of you is unneccessary.

That said,  the areas WayneD identified are important.  

My divorce was largely because my first wife did not want to move away from Mommy and how poorly we handled it.

A contributing issue was that while we shared a lot of the same beliefs, she was not committed to them and I was.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top