Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I like Glock's cheaper mags and reputation for reliability.  I'm not saying the XD is any less reliable, but it seems pointless to buy one when Glocks, Glock mags and Glock parts are so common and available.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I've shot XDs recently, but not extensively.  I currently own 8 Glocks & have carried one of those for 10+ years now - thousands of rounds through some of them.  I prefer  the Glock for me, but I'm not about to proclaim it "superior" when my experience with the XD is so limited.

All of that being said, my next pistol purchase will probably be the new XD .45ACP.    I felt one the other day and it felt much more comfortable in my smallish hands than my G21s (not the case when I compared the 9mms).
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an XD9 service model and I have a Glock 17. I've owned numerous Glock 17s and 19s for many years.
Both are good pistols. Both shoot reliably. I've had some minor problems with the XD guide rod trying to dis-assemble itself but I was able to fix it. The XDs finish gave some problems also because of surface rust. A little extra oil has taken care of it. The mags for the XD are somewhat expensive and the springs didn't last as long as I think they should, but, overall are good mags. The XDs are known to have some problems with the locking blocks in the older models but have recently been updated to correct the problem.
I have not had problems with any of my Glocks. The Glock mags are outstanding, especially the gen. #4s. The springs seem to last forever in both the gun and the mags. Mags can be had for $15>16 bucks and are everywhere.

Each gun has it's strong points and weak points. But the XD has a problem not associated with the gun itself. While Springfield Armory has a lifetime warranty of which is great, you have to send your XD into SA for even the smallest problems. At this time SAs parts policy forbids selling most of the parts to anyone. This includes many of the basic "wear" items such as extractors, certain springs and so on.
This makes it very hard for those people who maybe only can afford one pistol to carry for protection but need a small part to keep things running.
Glock parts can be had anywhere and anyone with basic knowledge of their gun can make the repair without going through the motions of shipping the gun in to the factory.
Ordering a part and fixing your own gun has a much smaller turnaround time than shipping ones gun in to a factory and waiting for them to determine if it's a warranty issue, fixing it and then shipping it back to you. At $50.00 a pop to send in a gun for a part that costs five bucks to replace it seems obvious which is more logical.

My vote goes to the Glock line for durability and ease of parts purchase. My XD is a great gun!!! But because of SAs current parts policy I limit my use of the XD to range play only. Whereas I have spare Glock parts on the shelf ready if I need them. To date I have broken.....
Well.... I haven't broken any of my Glocks yet. I've worn out a few springs over the years but nothing else.

Edited to add:
That .45 XD looks to be something of interest.
I'll wait to hear what the field reports are like before I look to closely.
Overall nice looking package though!!!
Who can argue about the .45 acp round, it kicks ass and leaves big holes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... I give them both a superior rating over other polymer guns.

Uh-oh... that comment's going to upset some of the Home Krowd.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Glock...

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It is what it is...

Agreed.  (I was just pickin'. )
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot the XD a lot better and I like the way it feels . . . so I guess I'll vote for it. That said, that torture test was amazing! I do have  lot more respect for Glock than I did before, I'll say that much.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I just want to ad a little great job to all who have posted in this so far.  I am amazed at how well everyone has stated their opinions in a way that is informative and not insulting to other posters.  Great job guys/girls.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I just want to ad a little great job to all who have posted in this so far.  I am amazed at how well everyone has stated their opinions in a way that is informative and not insulting to other posters.  Great job guys/girls.  

TROLL
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#12]
GLOCK
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Church of Glock.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked up another Glock today, still don't miss the XD40 I sold.

Might keep my eyes open for an XD45 though..
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I wasn't sure which to vote for, and KA-BOOM! It hit me that I'd prefer the XD.

Honestly though, I've never owned or shot either one, but after holding a Glock and then reading about them I have no interest in buying one. I'd really have to look into the XD to give an opinion, but mostly I'm a 1911 person.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I vote for the product of Saint Gaston, patron saint of modern combat handguns
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Personally...  I've shot a couple Glocks, mostly G19s.  Shot pretty well, but I didn't like the backstrap (kinda bruised the web of my hand between my thumb and hand), and I don't like the grip angle.  It does not fit my natural point of aim.

I have shot a 9mm XD, but it was a long time ago.  I recall that I liked it.  But I think that it's too 'tall'.  Meaning, the top of the slide from the top of your hand.  The Glock is lower, thus lowering the axis of the bore.  

I don't think I'll ever own either.  I'll stick with my CZ75B as my main handgun.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:26:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Personally...  I've shot a couple Glocks, mostly G19s.  Shot pretty well, but I didn't like the backstrap (kinda bruised the web of my hand between my thumb and hand), and I don't like the grip angle.  It does not fit my natural point of aim.

I have shot a 9mm XD, but it was a long time ago.  I recall that I liked it.  But I think that it's too 'tall'.  Meaning, the top of the slide from the top of your hand.  The Glock is lower, thus lowering the axis of the bore.  

I don't think I'll ever own either.  I'll stick with my CZ75B as my main handgun.  

If a 9mm bruised your hand then your bra straps were to tight.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#19]
1. Glock

2. Sig Sauer

3. 1911

Zero interest in owning any others...well I gave my wife a Kahr K9.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd buy an XD before a Glock.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top